Heimer, is he not supposed to use turrets during laning phase or he supposed to push?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2012

Here's what I know about the laning phase so far.

Harass enemy, last hit minions
Enemy push you to your side=good
You pushing too much=bad in general

But with Heimerdinger, during the free weeks I play him, my turrets often push the hell out of my lane, and Heimer doesn't have much in terms of escape mechanisms.

So yeah, how do the pros play Heimerdinger? Do they ditch turrets early in the game and only use rockets and grenade so they won't push? Or is there some special placement of those turrets that makes him not push yet remain useful(outside of being a free ward that reveals it's position whenever anyone walks near it).

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

01-30-2012

Couple things here,

1. Use your turrets defensively - Instead of placing them in a line perpendicular to the lane in order to push, try to keep one turret in front of you (closer to the enemy base) and one turret behind you (closer to your base) to give you a continuous line of slow (when your ult is up) and damage in order to retreat.

2. If you want to push your lane, use grenades, if not, save them so you can stun and run (exception #8).

3. Fight champions on your turrets - Especially at lower ELOs, players tend to ignore turrets and try to kill Heimer. The longer you can stay alive and in range of both of your turrets, the faster they're going to get burned down. Running away from your turrets, especially if your opponent has a snare is a surefire way to get killed if you're overextended.

4. Build for sustainability - Like you said, Heimer has very little in terms of escape. Often times you're much better off building tanky AP then trying to run (as per #3). Staying on your turrets, using exhaust, your stun, and Zhonya's can double or even triple your survival time.

5. When in doubt Ult first - In addition to causing your turrets to snare, activating your ult increases your Micro-rockets and speeds up your grenades. In most survival(defense) or gank(offense) situation you should be running your ult.

6. Don't be afraid to replant turrets - Especially if you're worried about a gank, having 1 or 2 turrets in the pool (in addition to any on the field) is a good backup. If you get attacked, pop your ult and immediately replant a turret. Newly placed turrets have faster attack speed and it ensures you're in range.

7. Related to #6, don't overplant turrets - While you can use turrets to push, you're much better keeping them in position as per #1, that way you're not overpushing and you have a better defensive lineup.

8. Manage your positioning - Positioning is important for any champion, but especially so for Heim. Your turrets allow you to build "zone out" regions and both your grenade and rockets have decently long range. Use your slow moving grenade to help deny last hits and harass with your micro rockets. Anytime you can get the enemy champion in range with 2 or less mobs, W away!

9. Turrets are your surrogates - One of the great things about Heim is that even when he's out of lane, he can maintain a presence. If you find yourself overpushing and getting ganked, instead of continuing to push, set up turrets defensively and when you have enough gold and clear a wave, teleport back to base and purchase right away. This lets you have better gear without having to worry about your oppenent pushing quite as hard while you're gone.

Pushing is great if you can do it, but Heim is especially vulnerable to ganks. If you get doubled up, chances are pretty good you're going to die. The same basics of map awareness and positioning apply double to Heim. Your best bet is usually to focus on harassing your opponent, last hitting and attempting to force them out of lane before you think about pushing.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2012

ah thx for the detailed response. Guess I'll try out a tanky AP build then after he becomes free again...

Gonna have to work on throwing those grenades and rockets without accidentally hitting the minions too much.

Tyrang

01-31-2012

You will push the lane. It is what Heim does.

You have turrets to cover u. It is hard to gank Heim when he is surrounded by turret. Put a ward down, and no jungle can gank you ever.

If they force a gank, make them chase thru the turret fire. Ult to slow them.

I know the pain of ganking Heim first handed as jungler. The turret will burn a chunk of hp off me and the mid lane. So painful.

Tripc0de

01-31-2012

Adding in a couple more tips:

Max out your missile first, then the grenades, putting points in turret when you feel necessary.

Always have wards on choke points as a mid Heimer.

Take Ghost Flash with 9-0-21 to maximize escapes.

Don't be afraid to take a hit early game, as your hp regen is much higher than any other champs in the game.

If you can't get the kills, go for farming creeps.

You can also plant the turrets in the jungle(especially at blue,wraiths, wolves etc) to counter jungle the enemy team and give you a minisight ward at certain entrances.

Make sure you have a proper runepage set up. Movespeed quints and masteries are key until you get more familiar.

Chingmeister

01-31-2012

Heimer mid should keep a turret at both wolves and wraiths and farm both with missiles for extra gold. Why push a lane and farm 6 minions a wave when you can farm a lane and side camp for 9 or 10? That's just being silly.

Heimer top/bot should keep both turrets at double small golemns, and if those aren't in your lane one slightly behind your caster minions and another as a ward. I would lane switch instead though, so that you are in a lane with small spawns in it as well.