Who's the Toughest Initiator?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Remunial

01-28-2010

I vote Alistar and Rammus. Alistar doesn't really even need any tank gear to hold off a team using his Ult. It's true that any good player will ignore him when he uses his Ult but with a knock-up stun plus a punt he's really tough. Even if you try to ignore him and get the carry he can pretty much put u wherever he wants on the battlefield. Either knock you towards his team or keep you away. He can easily solo-defend a tower long enough for his team to reach the area.

Rammus is also pretty tough. I've never actually used him but i've seen him take on entire teams alone before. Either to distract them from his teams' push or to have his team mop them all up.

Malphite can soak up alot of damage but most of the time people can avoid him pretty easily compared to the other 2 champions mentioned.

Omega Therion

01-28-2010

Alistar or Cho'gath

Wisewind

01-28-2010

I have to agree on Rammus being the best intiator that can sustain usefulness throughout a teamfight and soak up damage. Though I main Alistar, the problem is that he is simply ignored once his stun and hb have been used. Once he has used those skills you only have his auto attack and heal left as options while you are waiting on his HB and Stun on CD. Rammus on the other hand, remains a factor after initiating, with his low CD on taunt and toggling his curl.

Necrax

01-29-2010

i personally prefer rammus for his abilities and mobility.

powerball or flash/powerball is nice for initiating and curl ensures you don't instantly die while tremor ensures they want to get rid of or away from you.

but i guess alistar is widely accepted as TEH tank though.

Xalerwons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2010

Alistar is the best 5v5 initiator, short of Blitzcrank getting a max range pull+flash back and subsequent rapefest.

You cannot beat a flash/ghost aoe stun then headbutt their carry away or towards.

For 1v2, alistar can headbutt one away, then stun the other and juke very well and live easily. He has the highest scaling hp which synergizes with his ultimate.

HanzGruber

01-29-2010

I think the lesson to be taken from this thread looks to be that most of the tanks are highly survivable, it simply depends on your personal preferences.

As an Alistar main player myself, I find that if I have a strong laning phase and can put the fear in my enemies, I get focus fired on more later and can do my job properly. What I tend to see is that when laning, I can remain in my lane indefinately while my partner BPs or does whatever they need to do and returns. I don't even bother buying equipment till after the first couple towers are down.

On the other hand, I see Malphites and Rammuses that constantly have to engage and disengage from the lane to stay effective. They however, have stronger late game abilities than Alistar.

Cho'gath though, has a passive healing ability to keep him in lane, and once he reaches level six, begins mercilessly eating creeps and champions, gaining max health. I've had plenty of games where we just COULDN'T get that last bit of damage in and finish him off because he fed so much in another lane.

From my point of view, survivability (HPs,) initiation (rupture,) and usefulness in general (scream) has to go to Cho'Gath, who has a nice balance of tankiness and utility skills.

JunkRamen

01-29-2010

If the opponents can just ignore Alistar and attack something else during his ult, then Alistar's positioning and timing are wrong. Alistar is extremely dangerous to get close to. Eating his stun and punt gets you killed. Anybody who wants to move past Alistar into his teammates is going to eat a stun and die.

Xalerwons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkRamen View Post
If the opponents can just ignore Alistar and attack something else during his ult, then Alistar's positioning and timing are wrong. Alistar is extremely dangerous to get close to. Eating his stun and punt gets you killed. Anybody who wants to move past Alistar into his teammates is going to eat a stun and die.

You can't ignore Alistar or he will aoe stun your team and headbutt the weakest (or strongest) toward the enemy team or away and turn the fight to the strongest 4 vs the weakest 4.

Average team fight lasts around 5 seconds which is enough for Alistar to get 2-3 heals off if you're fighting in the midst of creeps. That's ~600 aoe healing with Locket.

notliam

Recruiter

01-29-2010

Rammus is excellent at soaking up 5 enemy players damage for a few vital seconds whilst your team jumps out and kapows everyone. This is helped a lot by his defensive curl (+150 armour and return damage), high armour from items (unless you are silly o_o), taunt.. plus your powerball is a really good way to initiate because it deals damage + slows, with splash.. so you can quite easily weaken and slow a few enemy players by just blasting in with 900-1000 move speed. He really dishes out the damage too, which is something Alistair can't really do much.. with rammus' ult, sunfire capes and/or thornmail, plus you'll probably have about 150 attack. He's my favourite tank, and IMO the most effective initiator. Malphites ult obviously is awesome, and he's quite excellent generally, but he doesn't seem tanky enough for me.

Amumu is ridiculously underused it's almost a shame. He's a very unique character, definitely an excellent tank and great initiator (bandage toss + ult, having despair + spamming tantrum..) but I think the problem is he's difficult to kill people with, or to use effectively in general. Whenever I play him I just don't even bother trying to kill things, because it's way too difficult to do with a tank build, but instead focus on the initiating + tanking, and I do quite well. The last game I had with him I ended up with about 4500 health and 250 armour or something, very tanky. I tried an AP build on him in a bot game and went 40-2 (**** towers), it's ridiculously easy to kill things when bandage toss does 1000 damage and despair takes away 8% of the enemy life per second

Kadzin

01-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoabutter View Post
Malphite is the best. No questions asked.
Malphite will get stomped by focus fire
75% reduced damage
Alistar is the way to go here