Stop adding champions and create a new map

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KindaChurchy

02-28-2011

Bump

xiri

02-28-2011

i can say that dota has 1 map over 100 heroes and its doing fine. The amount of people it has is more the LoL or HoN so i rather have more champions released.

Trickbaby

02-28-2011

its not like they can just poop out a new map... there are balancing issues to think of. The minute something comes out that gives any champs an arguable advantage, people are going to be complaining.

Povvpovv

03-01-2011

Well if HoN can have more than 2 maps as well as custom maps, I don't see why LoL can't too...

Vuliev

03-09-2011

For those of you wanting a 10v10 map, consider this: most 5v5 games run about 40-50 minutes, with longer, more evenly matched games extending into the 70-80 minute range. I've played several of those longer matches (frigging all-tank teams >_<) and they were fairly mentally taxing toward the end. I shudder to think, then, of a map where 80min was the average play time--and that's probably only for something like 8v8. 10v10? Probably pushing 2 hours or more as an average.

Not only that, but Riot already has problems with lag on 5v5--they won't have anywhere near the hardware capability to support 10v10s anytime in the near future, unless they somehow suddenly gain millions of dollars in income. Balancing the maps is also a huge issue--look at how long it's taking them to release Magma Chamber, and that's only a 5v5 map.

Psyt

03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuliev View Post
For those of you wanting a 10v10 map, consider this: most 5v5 games run about 40-50 minutes, with longer, more evenly matched games extending into the 70-80 minute range. I've played several of those longer matches (frigging all-tank teams >_<) and they were fairly mentally taxing toward the end. I shudder to think, then, of a map where 80min was the average play time--and that's probably only for something like 8v8. 10v10? Probably pushing 2 hours or more as an average.

Not only that, but Riot already has problems with lag on 5v5--they won't have anywhere near the hardware capability to support 10v10s anytime in the near future, unless they somehow suddenly gain millions of dollars in income. Balancing the maps is also a huge issue--look at how long it's taking them to release Magma Chamber, and that's only a 5v5 map.
What about 5v5v5 then? Wouldn't it go faster cause teams would always be back dooring or ganging up on each other.

Vuliev

03-10-2011

Maybe. Multi-team maps would be less likely to stalemate, sure, but you might see people less reluctant to commit to killing a team because they're afraid to get wiped themselves. For those maps though, I think the bigger issue would be figuring out lane mechanics; someone suggested an idea for a 2v2v2 (or 4v4v4) that seemed like a good start:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagePro View Post
http://oi55.tinypic.com/2cxe349.jpg
The bases each have another turret guarding each of the 3 inhibs and 2 guarding the nexus.
You can put some gank lines and the jungle inside the triangle.
Also the lane lines in the middle should have 2 minion waves moving side by side so when they meet in the middle they split up and one wave moves toward one base and the other wave to another.
Balancing those maps would probably be more difficult, too, but in the end probably easier than planning out large-team maps. At its heart, I think LoL is more about micro and tactics than just having everyone throw their **** at everyone else in a giant showdown, and I think having teams larger than 5, maybe 6, people would take away from that.

Some tl;dr for this entire thread:
Making maps is much more difficult and time-intensive than coming up with a champion. Hopefully, the current champion flow is just temporary filler while they're getting the "Shiny" update finished, and once it's done they'll focus more resources on making maps and implementing features. Hopefully, they'll actually accomplish this before DotA 2 comes out; while I love LoL, I have a feeling that Valve's resources and commitment to customer satisfaction will blow Riot's relatively puny capabilities out of the water if Riot doesn't start truly listening to its entire player base (not just the ones that provide their income.)

axLe arsOnist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2011

I reckon 3v3v3 or 5v5v5v5 would be interesting. more then 2 teams would be cool. just more maps x.x

Zoulou

03-10-2011

3 way map!

ulikebutsex

04-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friiz View Post
Not necessarily, you have one big base, and add more buildings. You'd of course have your Nexus and towers, but in addition you'd have BARRACKS (increases minion armor and damage), GOLD MINE (self explanatory, grants a small gold boost every now and then) and any other ideas. It would be nice to see LoL take on a more legendary aspect, it's in the name after all.

But yeah I agree with OP 100%, Riots just pushing out random, unpolished champions.
I also agree 100 % it would be nice if you could also get gear for your minions so they can own