[Suggestion] Tooltips show damage type

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ch3wbacha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-27-2010

One of the most confusing things in League of Legends is the two different damage types. They aren't confusing by themselves (one is magic damage the other is physical. Magic resist counters magic damage and armor counters physical), but are confusing because so many spells are unclear as to what type of damage they do.

This was the justification for changing Gangplanks parrrley to physical damage because it scalled off of attack damage. However, Katarina's ult can scale off of AD but does magic damage. No one seems quite sure what kind of damage Garen's ult does, and I've talked to numerous people who seem quite content to assume that true damage exists outside of Olaf and Ignite.

What I propose is that tooltips show an Icon that signifies the damage type (possible a Sword vs Wand (and something else for true). Also needed would be the same icon on the death recaps. This will allow people (especially newer players) to better counteract the damage that they are dealt. Going back to Katarina, if you died to death lotus and looked at the death recap, you might think it was physical damage by reading the description that it scales from AD and saw her inventory full of bloodthirsters. This may prompt you to by a chain vest. Sure, you are now protected from her auto-attacks, but death lotus will still tear through you like a hot knife through butter.

Since all spells must have a damage type, and I'm assuming that its a class attribute, I don't think this would be too hard to work into the UI.

Let me know what you think.

Grelik

07-27-2010

Another option would be to just show every damage number in a separate colour similar to the green bonus damage numbers. Blue for magic damage, red or orange for physical. Would avoid needless cluttering of the tool tips, while effectively distinguishing the damage types.

ch3wbacha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grelik View Post
Another option would be to just show every damage number in a separate colour similar to the green bonus damage numbers. Blue for magic damage, red or orange for physical. Would avoid needless cluttering of the tool tips, while effectively distinguishing the damage types.
Colors are not intuitive like icons are. Colors mean different things to different people and some are already used (blue is mana regen/loss, green is health regained, red is damage dealt).

People need to learn what a color means and it must have a direct meaning. Most usability guides reserve color for warnings/panic conditions or statuses (red, yellow, green like traffic lights), color should be used mostly for aesthetics not meaning.

I don't think color here will accurately conveys the meaning, not to mention that color often times handicaps people with vision impairments. Using the same icons as the icons that symbolize AD and AP would be best. This is a clear indication of what it means and connects directly to concepts that the user already knows.

IvaBrasx

07-24-2011

Bump this. Certain things in the game are also confusing, like when you get killed by teemo who used blind on you, in death recap it shows: xx (xx%) Damage, it isn't magic, isn't physical, it isn't true, it's just damage how do i counter this?
Also, check Twisted Fate's W tooltip, it just says: deals xx bonus damage plus it scales from ad and ap (my guess is that damage that scales from ad is physical, and dmg that scales from ap is magical, but i might be wrong)