Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Whats a good build for Alistar?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anox

02-19-2011

Hey all Just picked up Alistar and I was wondering how you all liked to build him.
Tank?
Tanky/Dps?
Ap?
Or something different?
Thanks in advance.

Anox

02-19-2011

bump

Anox

02-19-2011

?

Techlo

02-19-2011

Depends on how you wanna go about the game. Are you main tanking? Off tanking with a little AP on the side? Already have both positions filled and you just wanna ruin the other team's day?

A full tank build is based entirely on the team comp, but I would always recommend placing a zhonya's hourglass in the build towards the end if you can because of the bonus AP since most of Alistar's skills have a 1:1 ratio.

A semi tank build goes something like hitting the theoretical softcap where health becomes higher effective hp than armor or magic resist, which is somewhere around 150 for both. After you reach these numbers, I would then start building AP items like an archangels or a deathcap.

A full AP build, builds similarly to a mage so just go with that.

Anox

02-19-2011

anyone else?

RagnarVonBloodax

02-19-2011

I haven't played him too much but here is what seems to work for me.

Off-tank/support(AP/Tank), Full tank, Off-tank/support(aura mule)

If you have a main tank than you want to get AP+health/mres/armor items to be able to soak some damage while taking advantage of your high AP ratios. You will have the job of healing as well as positioning enemies advantageously while doing good damage.

The other option with support is you can be the aura mule and buy boots and five different aura items. This works pretty well because you will always be either in the middle of your team or in the middle of the enemy team.

Main tank you want the vast majority of your items to be damage soak items and your job will solely be positioning enemies for your teammates to kill, as your heal and spell damage will be paltry.

That is what I have found to be what he is good for. If someone rips me apart though they are probably right as they probably have more experience on him than me.

Siegebreaker

02-19-2011

Right now, an AP Tank is best.

Deathcap, DFG, Mejais, And a tanky item helps a lot.

But Alistar has a remake in the works...might be best to wait for that to come around.

PineapplePine

02-19-2011

The BEST Alistar to troll with is...........

Teleport + Revive + AS Runes + w/e Runes you want

In other words, AS based Alistar with whatever secondary stats you want. It can be AS/AD or AS/Tank or whatever. But I feel AS/Tank works best. Btw, your goal is not to tank. Your goal is not to initiate first and take bursts. Your goal is to kill all those 11 towers, 3 inhibitors, and 1 nexus.

Nashor's Tooth works nicely, Aegis as well, and Trinity if you want.

Fyi, do not expect a K/D/A like 0/2/20 or 1/3/20 or 5/3/20, expect something more like.... 3/9/20 with like 6 towers killed because of you.

JotYacht

02-19-2011

Alistar's cool downs suck so I usually build him as CDR/Tank. Glacial Shroud, Visage, Randuins/FoN, Boots 3, wardswardswards.

Kalshazzak

02-19-2011

all you need is max CDR, aegis, and lots of move speed to be an effective alistar.