Ryze Playstyle Change Evaluation

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chowdar

02-18-2011

So I've seen alot of people argue both sides of the Ryze changes saying its good or bad. Here is my evaluation of it now.

Old Ryze - Highly bursty and can drop a champ or many if clustered instantly. Sustainable damage is mediocre at best and his survivability was kinda low once he gets caught by someone he knows he can't kill in 1 or 2 bursts.

New Ryze - Q is small burst damages with high mana capacity. Can use Q much more with its cheaper mana cost and lower cool down. His sustained damage is much better but his burst has substantially dropped with his ulti rework. His survivability has jumped quite a bit though and his ability to eat damage is very interesting. Ryze is a different type of caster champ in the sense that you really get damage from his larger mana pool now rather than his AP ratios. If you get a frozen heart on him and a banshees, he can eat plenty of damage. I would almost consider him like a mobile turret now. Getting jumped now doesn't mean instant death for him. He can snare someone and constantly toss Q to get them to back off . If they don't back off you can start moving back while tossing more nukes and snares. If you get the defensive mastery "Strength of Spirit" and "Expanded Mind" with "Archaic Knowledge" he does decent damage as well as has regen that rivals tanks. Essentially he traded massive bursts for much more survivability along with some better sustained damage.

Recommended Changes: His ulti is utter garbage comparatively to other casters. The mana bonus is not really all too significant and 1v1 it doesn't do much for you. Generic Caster Annie's is substantially better. The play style of having a huge mana pool with survivability makes him an interesting pseudotank caster. Make his spell vamp a passive rather than an active and he would be amazing. If this is the case you can drop his spell vamp % but it would allow him much better survivability and lane control. If not this then possibly activating gives his abilities a different effect? His W can stun possibly with his ulti activated or his Q will slow or E will? This would be a unique fix.

Overall I think the changes are interesting. His W does massive amounts of damage compared to before which essentially gives you 2 big nukes. His E's ability is almost used as utility now to drop MR of opponents rather than damage after early game. He's a different flavor of caster compared to others now. It will be interesting to see how he works into games. Tell me what you think of this review.

Lucchinii

02-18-2011

tl;dr

Karthus>AP Ezreal+New Ryze.

Aside from being squishier and New Ryze being a pro tank.

Daddywhoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2011

oRly.

neurolite

02-18-2011

I don't think your review is very good. Sure it gets the general idea, but suggestions like giving his q a stun on ult make me think you don't play Ryze very much. Yes his ult needs some work, but it needs something like a %mana instead of flat, and either a ton of spell vamp, or replace it with something else

Soulwolf

02-18-2011

he still rapes like the old ryze. it just doesnt hapopen instant it happens over5 seconds which is totally valid... and well yes he cant kill 5 squishies at once anymore to bad... but whatever he attacks he kills.

i can spam q -w-q -e-r-q-w-q-e-q in less than afew seconds... and i have yet to see the champ i desire to die to survive that. if they dont have any magic resist usualyl q w qe q is enough to kill .

all that with over 3k hp and nice defense. i fail to see the problem people see with this change other than that im scared of a few nerves in his survivability...
up until now i have always been the last man standing in my team and at the same time dealing the most damage....

i for my part fell in love with this new ryze *-*

soul3n

02-18-2011

i still build him the same