Don't see many people other than myself using DPS Sion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Smahlt

02-18-2011

Most Sions I see are usually an AP Sion. Why is that? I feel that a DPS build is overall much better suited for him. Leveling Enrage gives straight up damage boosts, Cryptic Gaze is a good stun, an Cannibalize is fairly ineffective on an AP build. There's nothing more satisfying coming out of a 1v2 gank at full health with 2 kills, or having your whole team at full health after a team fight. And of course he has a shield to keep him going a bit longer. An AP Sion is basically wasting his last two abilities for the power to turn a 5v5 team fight into a 4v4.

Carados

02-18-2011

'Cause it's kinda a weak build. If you're going AD, you may as well be playing a champion who is much, much better at the build.

As is, your a heavily farm reliant champion who can't solo lane and can't jungle, meaning you're duo laning. You can't be aggresive in that lane. By the time you hit the point where you become amazing, Tryndamere has already hit that point and won the game.

Smahlt

02-18-2011

It's true that he doesn't have the straight up damage output other champs have, but I think his stun, his ult, and his generally more beefy nature makes up for it.

corallein

02-18-2011

1. A melee champion is far more susceptible to harass
2. AP + 1:1 AP ratio AOE = godly farming/pushing ability
3. Two 1:1 AP ratio abilties with good base damage = insane early-mid-game burst
4. 1:1 AP ratio shield = good survivability (even if it comes at the cost of some damage)

Also, AD Sion completely wastes one ability, as shield is completely useless for him (minuscule value, drains his mana that he needs to save for stuns and ult). AP can still make use of Enrage (even if it's largely for farming health) and Cannibalize (with Enrage, it still does decent healing before/during/after team fights).

Smahlt

02-18-2011

I do recognize that AP Sion is good too, and use it myself. It is fun watching 3 enemies' hp bars drop to 2/3 instantly, but as soon as they get some Banshees Veils, he kinda stops being helpful to the team except to break the veils so your buddies can wreck them.

corallein

02-18-2011

If the entire enemy team is getting Banshee's Veils, it's either late-game or they're sacrificing huge amounts of damage just to counter you.

In the former case, well, the late-game is where AP is weaker. In the latter case, you're still winning. AP Sion can still farm really well and turn into a minor hybrid late-game -- even just an Atma's gives lots of damage and armor, combined with AS from ult makes you a decently scary melee AD attacker with good burst and a shield that people want to hit to break or they'll take lots of damage.

And there are plenty of champions that become far less useful in a single-champion consideration when Banshee's Veil is introduced (every single caster champion). Your team should be able to assist you in popping bubbles so that your stun isn't blocked by it.

RoflTroll

02-18-2011

AD Sion requires A LOT more farm than AP to be effective, but he's also one of the strongest carry if farmed.

AP will dominates early-mid with the stun/shield combo, and can farm a lot of gold because of beefed up shield (and some extra health, if you give E a point or two)

AD can/will dominate late game with proper build(not even Tryndamere will win against you since you're just going to stun him and lifesteal it all back)

However, the way I build AD Sion is more of a tanky hybrid type(Wriggle, PD, Atma, Last Whisper, (Banshee or FoN) and boot for final build) which means my damage alone isn't as high as what a Tryndamere with pure offense gear can put out, but I'm very hard to be taken down and will be healing myself / allies constantly (and since Lifesteal aren't affected by Ignite, I don't have the weakness of Mundo's ult).

As an added bonus, I get even more powerful as the game goes on because of E's passive and Atma.

On the other hand, you could go AP early to dominate, then pick up Atma/PD later to become a hybrid and have some of that AD's late-game power without sacrificing the early game.

IIllIIllII

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2011

AD for sustained damage and survivability
AP for burst

No single build is better, they just play differently.

Kelhan

02-18-2011

Without being the optimal build, AD/tank sion can truly be a pain. Since enrage already gives some AD, you can go for more tanky items like warmog/FoN/BV earlier. Paired with Atmas and a single AS item (phantom dancer since its cost was greatly reduced is a good option to get more movespeed/as/cs)

I saw godly Sion going crazy with an AD build, which uses its ult and enrage in an optimal way. The ult with AP Sion isn't fantastic, and enrage attack bonus is wasted. A shield that has decent damage absorption before fading is always usefull for a carry and the stun... god the stun is such a pain in the ass for the ennemies. ^^ That way, he is a good LATE game... his early and mid game are slower building AD

I saw items build like this: Merc/Warmog/Atmas as core and then Frozen Mallet/BV/FoN/PD/GA depending on the situation.

Don't misunderstand me, I go AP every time I play and find his burst damage amazing. But AD sion isn't that bad, in fact, he has the best single target stun (in my opinion) for a melee char. Ashe/MF don't understand **** when an AD Sion simply rolfstomp them.

Cenerae

02-18-2011

AD Sion is like Tryndamere without the innate crit/crit damage and without endless rage or a spin to chase/escape. He needs a LOT of farm to start being truly effective. Before then he's just a low mana pool stunbot.

He does do very high damage when farmed if he can manage to stick on his target, but he's generally played as AP because AP is effective right from the start, and he has 2 1:1 scaling nukes.