Laning as Cho'Gath

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doriantv

02-18-2011

Hey,

I like Cho'Gath, though I've had my fair share of bad games with him. I would appreciate any tactics against the following opponents.

EDIT: I'm not trying to kill my opponent, I am trying to farm, it's just that when Cho'Gath gets denied farm, it really hurts, since his kit is based around last-hitting.

1) Swain:
I feed off of bad Swains, but aggressive ones scare me, and usually get a kill on me. What am I supposed to their laserbird thing (Decrepify)? I've had success with silence-harrasment, but not much, as it seems that Swain has a much better chance of getting a combo off on me.

2) Mordekaiser:
Laugh all you want, but Morde beats most melee characters in a lane, and is immune to any harassment Cho'Gath can do. Is there anything that can be done, or should I just call for a switch?

3) Caitlyn:
Range too good...she just autoattacks me into death.

4) Sivir:
Yeah, this matchup is impossible for Cho thanks to Spell Shield, so I just switch the lane.

Mainly I just wanted help against Swain.

Enemy Minion

02-18-2011

If I'm playing Cho'gath, and am being genuinely out-laned, I try to focus less on harassing the enemy and more on getting mass amounts of creep kills. Your passive will generally allow you to survive any continuous harassment, and you'll become pretty godlike with enough farm.

Once you get to 6, either just get fat or wait for the opponent to slip-up and eat his face off.

mr share

02-18-2011

Laning with cho revolves around focussing on farming for me, and punishing mistakes my opponents make. I basically use my rupture to keep em back so i can free farm using vorpal spikes.

I level e to 3, q to 2, and r at 6, then I max silence (taking points in r when available).

Depending on the other team I'll take ruby crystal or doran's ring first.

Boots and pots works well too with cho.

Sivir really shouldn't be a problem, her sheild is on a higher cooldown than yours, and it only goes down with levels, so you can force her to weaken her offensive spells. Caitlin is a pain to most people to lane against, her range is soo good. But yeah dodging her skillshot makes a huge difference. If you are 1v1ing with mord it will be tricky. Haven't had to do that with cho as far back as I can remember. If anything I would suggest harassing him hard early before he has a lot of spells to throw around.

Rawrful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2011

How about you stop trying to kill your opponent and just farm? Cho heals for so absurdly much when he kills minions that your opponent should never be able to get you out of lane if you are not trying to put yourself in positions to attack them.

Also, you can beat Sivir and Morde with no trouble. Watch Morde's shield. Only harass him when it is down, and understand that he can only hurt himself more in lane until he gets 6, whereas you are healing non-stop as you kill minions. All you have to do about Sivir is bait out the spell shield. Scream is an instant cast, so just walk at her, she spell shields, you wait for it to go off, then zone her.

Also, just in case you are, NEVER EVER EVER level rupture first. Always scream. Level rupture second, or put some points in spikes. Rupture is pretty bad on its own, but once you get into team fights and have friendly CC to help you land it, it becomes a beast.

Doriantv

02-18-2011

Well, I used to level QEWWWR, but instead I'll go WEQWWR. Thank you.

I don't try to kill my opponents, I try to farm, it's just that I have a hard time with such opponents.

Bluedaggerjedi

02-18-2011

cho is a lot stronger when u lvl w before q (like wewqwr)

since his passive means its easy for him to trade hits, and w is a guranteed hit close range

Chaoticon

02-18-2011

Didn't they lower ap ratio and up mana cost on scream awhile ago? I still play him and lane fine with qeqwqrq. I'm generally pretty good at predicting dodge movements for rupture. Most enemy players have some sort of unconscious click patterns.

DUCOM

02-18-2011

Chaoticon,

I level his skills the same way as you, IDENTICAL, Who would ever put a skill in W first..that is NON-SENSE. Go Q-E-Q-W-Q-R. Scream does not do nearly as much damage as W, as W is not needed for the first 6 levels anyways.

Bluedaggerjedi

02-18-2011

Rupture: 80/135/190/245/305 (+1)
Scream: 80/130/180/240/300 (+.7)

if you bought Doran Ring at lvl 1 and had 3 lvls in Archmages Saavy (+.6 ap per lvl) you'd have 16 ap (+ whatever runes)

so rupture at lvl 1 is 96 dmg, scream is 91. and if you were to lvl q at lvl 1 and 3 your dmg would only be 6 higher than scream would be. Lvl 3 rupture (taken at lvl 5) will do 16 more dmg (with said masteries and items) then lvl 3 scream would.

Then consider that w won't miss (not that q is that hard to land). w is also a better counter harass spell than q (much easier to land w after being atked then q, assuming you play against a decent player who knows what cho's q is)

corallein

02-18-2011

1. Rupture->Scream->run away, or just last hit
2. Stay away from creeps except to last hit
3. Last hit
4. Last hit, don't stand with your creeps unless you like eating boomerang blades

Oh, and call for ganks from your jungler.

Edit: Swain is pretty strong against melee-range champions, which is basically what Cho is. Rupture is your only ranged tool, and hitting with it isn't easy. Scream has some range, but Swain out-ranges it. Cho does have better regen than Swain with his passive, so you can try to trade harass, but if the enemy Swain is any good, they'll just Decrepify->Torment->Walk away. Pretty much, you have no chance at winning in harass unless you land a Rupture, or you get a gank.