[Suggestion] Taking the frustration out of the rune system

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Machina

08-17-2009

I'm sure we've all spent a ridiculous amount of time combining and spawning runes throughout the beta. While I must say I enjoy the alchemical feel of combining runes together to produce other runes, I find the current system frustrating due to the fact that on any given combine or spawn the chance is fairly small that I will get the specific rune I want.

Here is what I suggest:

Rather than purchasing/obtaining random runes, have players purchase/obtain random rune components. Players would then use these components to create whatever runes (or other components) they desired. I'll call these components 'gems'. For example:

4 colors of gems (match rune colors), 3 grades (match rune grades)
5 gems of a particular grade and a particular color = 1 rune of your choice for that grade and color
3 gems of a particular grade and a particular color = 1 gem of the next grade for that color
2 gems of any color, but of a particular grade = 1 randomly colored gem of that grade

Higher quality gems would be rarer/more expensive. You could also allow players to break apart runes they already have into components.

Of course, the numbers here are just to illustrate my example, and are not suggestions for balance.

This way you keep joy of opening a randomized booster pack, but alleviate the frustration of never knowing when you will get the rune you want, while providing (in my opinion) a better sense of progression for the runebook by allowing players to collect components for a specific goal.

Antpile

08-20-2009

Something like this needs to be done! It doesn't have to be this system, or even any system. If the devs do not have the time to implement some sort of controllable combining system, then just ditch the combining all together and let us buy the specific runes we want with IP. This would also require a way to trash runes, but it could be an IP sink as I'd have to buy new runes when i felt like ditching one of my pages to make something else.

The system as it is cannot stand though. The idea of a game is to have fun, and there is absolutely nothing enjoyable about the current random rune system.

PerfectionLost

08-28-2009

Bump.

The concept of combining is fun. The implementation is not.

Even if a fun alchemy system is implemented, you should still be able to buy the runes you want--but for more. Alchemy should be for taking **** that you have, and making it into **** that you want.

Azzmodan

09-05-2009

I'd also like a "details view" instead of just a "thumbnail" view.

The pretty icon of the rune really is the least of my concern, all I care about is color and its stat.

"[small icon] - [effect]"
"[small icon] - [effect]"
"[small icon] - [effect]" would be nice instead of the current list of

"[large icon] - [large icon]"

Deshi

09-05-2009

I think it would be nice to have this functioning in a similar way to the in-game item system, where you have "recommended builds" which are achievable by combining items of lesser value.

For each rune, you could display a list of other runes that could be made from it. Ie. you have a (or any number of these, depending on their tier) Glyph of Malice and the possibilities are shown like:

"2 Glyphs of malice + 3 Marks of Furore = Greater Glyph of Replenishment."

"Glyph of malice + Seal of malice = Quintessence of Malice."

and so on..

It needn't even be as specific as that, but I'm just really tired of combining runes endlessly and getting the same ones that I don't need. Or worse, combining two runes of the same type, creating one rune of that exact same type (so basically throwing away a rune).

I also think that there should be another Quintessence slot, but that's another issue entirely.