Quick Guide For Caster Item Builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Klazzix

01-27-2010

I'm bored so I'm sharing some stuff again for new and old people alike.

BASICS (early game)

1. Catalyst (Keep until lv16+, turn to Banshee's Veil if necessary)
2. Sorc. Shoes (20 Magic Penetration is a significant amount, casters should always have this)
3. Stacking Blasting Wands (Getting 3 of these will give you an effective 120 AP for 2580g)

UPGRADES (mid-end game)

Now that you have a few Blasting Wands stored, it's time for your first upgrade. We'll be choosing from 3 items namely Abyssal Scepter, Lich Bane or Archangel's Staff. This, of course, depends on your hero.

Abyssal Scepter: Get this if you have burst heroes like Annie & Fiddlestix
Lich Bane: For heroes that have spammable skills like TF & Eve
Archangel's Staff: The mana hungry ones like Karthus & Anivia

For the second upgrade, you'd want to get a Rylai's Scepter. It's basically just for extra survival which I find necessary with Banshee's Veil.

So now we have enough AP for the third and possible final upgrade, Zhonya's Ring.

RUNE ADVICE

If you plan on playing different casters, it's probably best to stick with Magic Penetration & Cooldowns since you'd want to hit real hard and spam those skills as much as possible. AP is not a very good option since not all casters scale well with it.

XrBob

01-27-2010

I always thought that Rod of Ages was required for every mage, do you not find it to be as useful?

DerpDerp

01-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrBob View Post
I always thought that Rod of Ages was required for every mage, do you not find it to be as useful?
I like rod too, but i find i purposely keep the catalyst till i'm 17/18 for its survivability, this allows you to tower dive to kill champs if your bar is close, keeps you alive in your lane, and not spend money on regen. By the time you get your rod (like i said i wait) i find its much less useful, because of the 15-20 minute maxing period or however long it is. A lichbane will increase most casters DPS way more. I think this is okay if its the 1st/2nd main item you finish, but there are some pretty good alternatives these days.

Its a nice item, and i only get it on a few characters.

Might i add to the origional post, if you find you are doing well a soulstealer is a must on my list. I like the extra boost, and often if im doing well i'll have 100 extra AP in notime, for 1200 bucks.

Soulcounter

Recruiter

01-27-2010

DerpDerp. Well i agree to some extent with what you have said. See the reason to get rod of ages is based on the fact that you can turn a caster into a semi decent tankable caster. For annie its almost the difference between getting one quick kill and dieing, but if you have rod of ages then you will be able to get two not so quick kills and still have half health to stay in lane. Its honestly very opinionated though. I would suggest that if you don't go rod of ages to at least get a ryla's scepter

Hanktronic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-27-2010

I feel like spell pen is grossly underestimated. Sure you can't bring anyone beneath zero unless they don't buy a single item and even then only through karthus/soraka/ryze/etc but I never play an AP hero without getting the spell pen boots and an abyssal scepter. If someone is really stacking it (200+), i get a void staff and the haunting guise, too. It was really surprising how much easier killing people got as a caster when i filled out a spell pen rune page and focused on it as a build.

In normal situations, though, I get a soulstealer and spell pen boots with my first 2235 gold. From there I usually go to rylai's and then an abyssal scepter. Games are usually getting within 10-15 minutes of finishing by this time... I go for banshee's veil if other casters are doing most of the damage to me. If not then I go for a zhonias ring first and then banshee's veil.

That blue bubble floating around you is a great deterent especially if you can't quite finish a team off and they start to farm too much. Lots of non-caster heroes will run from you because it turns a previously reliable one-two punch into almost certain death for them.

Klazzix

01-28-2010

Why no...

1. RoA, games usually end before you can truly benefit from it. You'd want something with immediate effect, like BV or other AP items. Plus, keeping the Catalyst for levels really helps a lot.

2. Mejai's, on an average game, you'll probably have around 7-8 stacks (90-100 ap) which is indeed not bad. Otherwise, a bad game, you're stuck from 2-3 stacks or worst case none at all.

Chutzpahnaught

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-28-2010

If you have been playing annie properly (i.e. have had 2-3 kill before 10 mins) you are going to have a big walking target on your head. Given this, i nearly always go rod of ages from my catalyst, and then build a 2nd catalyst for an eventual banshee's veil.

the main brunt of my spell power comes from a soulstealer. Once you hit around 10 stacks or more before the 20 minute mark, it usually means GG anyway and you could run with nothing else, to be honest.

RIPPEDDRAGON

Recruiter

01-28-2010

get RoA before boots and watch it be at max at 25 min ish and laugh at the people saying its a bad idea...RoA is never bad if bought before 15 min....and then sorc shoes and soulstealer...for 1200 gold soulstealer is godly at 4+ stacks cuz thats 60 ap for 1200 gold WTF....and then it can snowball even further....after thoes its up to you how you want to build....mana on ryze or ap morgana and ap/health on fiddle....btw crystal scepter is nice on fiddle