Moakai and his saplings

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Medusa

02-17-2011

I found one way you can escape is to throw a sapling over a wall into neutral creeps. Itl give line of site to them and you can use W to hop over the wall.

Also you can try Sap Stack il coin that :P. If you can get your CDR maxed or near. There is a window where you can have 4 Saplings out at once, just stack em on top of one another and bam! best nuke in the game.

knobcreek

02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anivias Chosen View Post
I found one way you can escape is to throw a sapling over a wall into neutral creeps. Itl give line of site to them and you can use W to hop over the wall.
Thanks. That's awesome.

Medusa

02-18-2011

just be careful when doing the neutral creep teleporting. They take the shortest route to you and sometimes you may go the opposite way. The wraith camp is easiest for sure since they will hit you over the wall and hold aggro/line of sight.

lindisty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonneb View Post
He feels a lot like Gragas to me. I've tried varying levels of Tankyness and APness and I have more success playing him as an sturdy caster. I'm still feeling out what works best with him, but so far I've been liking

Meki Pendant
Tear of the Goddess
Warmog's (Another defensive item would work here, but I usually go with Warmog's because it synergizes with his passive and he farms well enough to max Warmog's fairly quickly)
Boots (Sorc, Merc, or Ninja, depending on the team)
Archangel's
Lichbane

HIs synergy with lichbane is fantastic. W+Q+a sapling+a lichbane proc can take out a lot of health. I've tried something similar leaving out the defensive item 'til later but I'm just too squishy.
Does this really work decently? I wondered about a +HP mixed with sheen/lich and it seemed like it *might* be ok, or it might be a wasted item... anyone else use it?

Grubev

02-18-2011

I played a few games with him as mainly a tank.
Ran mpen reds, armor yellows, flat MR blues and HP quints.

For items:
Shield
Mercury Treads
Glacial Shroud
Abyssal
FoN
Glacial Shroud-> Frozen Heart

and went 1/4/18 and 2/3/14 winning both.
Used the same build both times, though one time I got the FoN before the Frozen Heart.
The extra move speed from FoN helped a lot, and i ran 0/9/21 masteries.
He is fun, and the team didn't have another tank either time.

Fiddlecog

02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonneb View Post
APness
lol, you said APness

Zoram

02-18-2011

I am still working on myself, but I find that getting chalice of harmony first is great. Since his mana regen sucks, the more mana you use, the more you gain back. This works well on his ultimate and lets you sustain it for longer. I have tried lots of things, but in the end I think lichbane might be his bread and butter.

DragoonSage

02-18-2011

I actually have tried AP and Tank variation, and i have to say, Tank variation is awesome, with CDR. You have to remember Maokai was not designed as a killer, he was designed for disruption and survivability. Never the less, this is the items I use on him and I have not finished one game yet (15 games played) with a negative Kill/death ratio, not to mention the assist count.

Merc Threads
Aegis of the Legion
Banshee's Veil
Sunfire Cape
Frozen Heart
Relai's Crystal Scepter

As you can see, this build is basically identical to Phreak's build. But the addition of Relai's REALLY helps out in team fights where your sappligs, Q and even the ultimate can all provide even MORE slow downs (dont be afraid to activate your ulti and deactivate it just for a lil bit of dmg and slow, since the CD on it is ridiculously low).

I know it's a very costly build, but people seem to try and focus on me since my ult helps too much on team fights.

I use Magic Penn Makrs, Mana regen Seals, Magic Armor per level glyphs and flat health Quints.

I might change the Marks for either armor/mana regen or health, since my main focus is to annoy the heck out of everything and ensure the team gets what it lacks: more CC (we always need more CC ^_^).

ghostbear019

02-18-2011

i found playing maokai like rammy and mal (armor/mr tank) was very effective too.

putting merc treads, sunfire, force of nature, banshees, hourglass and abyssal were great. his W + Q + R is great for initiating team fights, and the tankish staying power allows u to disable any casting. this doesnt give much damage output, but his Q W R all allow for great disrupting of the other team

i found that going AP was great for beginning because of his sapling sniping power, but once you get mid and late game ur at the mercy of high dps characters (yi, kat, etc)