Moakai and his saplings

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

thunion

02-17-2011

Any good way to play Maokai? I tryed ap way and his early game is very effective i going to stick to tear of godess and maxing saplings,it makes him very good harraser and farmer.However my late game as ap was pretty disasterous.So any advices how to build him after tear of godess?

Prometheius

02-17-2011

AP Tank, just like Cho Goth.

newfaces

02-17-2011

I've been playing him a lot since he came out, and I think there are two totally separate ways to go with regards to Maokai-

Firstly, you can go straight AP with saplings and be a striker- if you start with a teammate casting 3 spells at base to get your count up, take sapling toss and then have a very aggressive rune page and mastery setup he can jungle up to level 4 or so and have a lot of cash before heading to lane with someone (at about 3.5 minutes or so). Maxing up the sapling toss allows him to snipe characters very effectively, and he can absolutely wreck the other team's jungler. If you go AP (and this is crucial) his sapling toss takes precedence over his ult. That's right. It's that much more powerful if you're trying to get some easy straggling kills.

Secondly, and in many ways more reasonably (but less fun) you can play the standard tanky-AP Maokai. While still powerful, the best thing you can do with this build is to max out your W as fast as possible- if you're in lane with another jumper like yi, kat, pantheon, or tristana you can start wrecking some squishy at level one, often before minions spawn. If you're going tanky I'd recommend taking the exhaust and rally summoner spells, because despite the fact that "heal helps in his ult" his ult will usually do max damage and prevent a bunch anyways. I worry more about my teammates getting the kills, so I try to keep enemies inside my ult and give my team an even larger advantage within it.

While I think his ultimate is underwhelming in teamfights, it's very useful for fights under your own tower. I can't tell you how many times someone's damaged my tower while I take damage from their minions in my ult. You break the ult to kill all the minions and then you root them, alone, in tower range. It almost always ends in a kill, especially with a well placed sapling or exhaust. If you're feeling really sick you can push them back towards the tower and slow them, just to be absolutely sure that they're going down. Done correctly this can happen so fast that they don't have time to move.

StrykerOfChaos

02-17-2011

I've tried him with the following
Merc Treads
Banshee's
Zhonya's Hourglass
Sunfire Cape

By then it's pretty much just cake walk with his sapling throw and his W for stopping people from running. I am thinking something like Rylai's would be fun with his sapling toss too.

GrumpyWookiee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2011

I'm a noob but I've been playing as I do with blitz with CDR. :{ Morella's book with either cdr books or mercury's. Randuin's and frozen heart. Banshees and Zonya's if the game lasts long enough. Allows me to distrupt champs constantly during team fights though I don't know if I'm overdoing it with CDR as I tend to forget to grab blue bluff. :{
P.S: First post. ;-;

JunSupport

02-17-2011

AP Tank.

Like Gragas.

Urr

02-17-2011

as others have said, AP tank, like cho, gragas, or singed

DFxVemosStriker

02-17-2011

AP with little survive, like Awesome amumu(merc treds) with AOE slowing(rylars) tears of fire(sunfire cape), and just fill the rest with situational gear.(ex. you want more damage get some AP/lichbane, ex. want to tank better get GA/thorn/banshee)

nonneb

02-17-2011

He feels a lot like Gragas to me. I've tried varying levels of Tankyness and APness and I have more success playing him as an sturdy caster. I'm still feeling out what works best with him, but so far I've been liking

Meki Pendant
Tear of the Goddess
Warmog's (Another defensive item would work here, but I usually go with Warmog's because it synergizes with his passive and he farms well enough to max Warmog's fairly quickly)
Boots (Sorc, Merc, or Ninja, depending on the team)
Archangel's
Lichbane

HIs synergy with lichbane is fantastic. W+Q+a sapling+a lichbane proc can take out a lot of health. I've tried something similar leaving out the defensive item 'til later but I'm just too squishy.

RoflTroll

02-17-2011

What I run with:

Doran's Ring
Mejai(optional, I got it because me + Blitz was crushing the lane, between kills/deaths I do, it just sits around 10 stacks, which is still nice for a 1200g item)
Sorc Shoe(The worth of MPen gets bigger the higher your base damage is, and with 460 damage on Sapling, this is almost mandatory if you're going for offensive role)
Chalice(I run MP seals/glyphs, so combined with chalice's passive I can regen quite quickly)
Deathcap
Zhonya/Abyssal/Rylai, in any combination.

I might try Morello's Tome and/or DFG next time, since having maxed CDR really gives him some nice utility(near permanent slow/root from Q and W chains, and 7s cd on Sapling is fantastic)