Shen - AP at all?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frony Boom

02-18-2011

Tried a tanky AP build once in a custom for fun. Aegis, boots of choice, rylia, abyssal, zhonya, deathcap. I agree with above that it is much less effective than tank Shen, but feinting 750 of damage and giving an ult shield well over 1000 was pretty funny.

ghostbear019

02-18-2011

sheen + rylais is pretty shazam on shen, but other than that ive noticed that his tanking abilities are what make him a tide turner in games.. the dps can be good, but never better than the champs built for dps output

Exitusx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elect View Post
Has anyone experimented with getting some AP items on Shen (in addition to his tank items) to make his abilities more potent? For example, his Vorpal blade does +100% Ap bonus dmg. His ultimate (shield on friendly ally) is also affected by AP. As is his self-buff which absorbs damage (65% AP bonus dmg absorbed, I believe)

I'm curious as to any insights other players have.
Actually his Q stacks 70-75% with AP. Unless in a recent patch I missed something, I'm pretty sure it's still like that.

Besides the point AP/tank Shen isn't bad, because it helps his damage a **** ton, and also allows for more healing as it was intended. The thing about his shields though (or at least his Feint) is they are affected by Magic Resist and Armor as well. Although I have reason to believe his ultimate may be affected by the targeted allies magic resist and armor. By getting AP/tanky items you are keeping his team up more than himself.

Try grabbing things like Rylais and Abyssal Scepter that have both the AP and tank stats. Build him like you would a Cho'Gath mage-tank (only without the Rod of Ages).

FaerellG

02-19-2011

I often pick up a Rylais late game. The extra AP isn't necessarily for Vorpal blade, but more for increased Feint and Stand United shields. At that stage of the game focus fire on one of your non-tanks will kill them way to fast. Extra shield points are useful there.

FéarBéar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2011

I see Shens with AP quite a bit, mainly Rylais, abyssal sceptre and zhonyas. This way they are still tank but also both of his shields protect more than normally.

FaerellG

02-19-2011

I've been meaning to try Zhonya's hourglass for 2 seconds of invincibility when I'm in the thick of it. I'm not sure how well that works though.

Exitusx

02-20-2011

I actually think some AP on Shen should work. There's a point in a match where you have 3 or 4 items (not including boots) and your lifespan is close to unending in team fights. At that point is when you should invest in items like rylais or abyssal scepter.

I may actually try building Shen in a normal match like one would a tank Cho'Gath (excluding rod of ages). I'll reply back with answers.