Shen - AP at all?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elect

02-17-2011

Has anyone experimented with getting some AP items on Shen (in addition to his tank items) to make his abilities more potent? For example, his Vorpal blade does +100% Ap bonus dmg. His ultimate (shield on friendly ally) is also affected by AP. As is his self-buff which absorbs damage (65% AP bonus dmg absorbed, I believe)

I'm curious as to any insights other players have.

DrDragun

02-17-2011

Occaisonally Rylais for slowing daggers against a kite team. You wanna be conservative about throwing daggers in a teamfight though, gotta save that energy for dashing. I guess in a rare situation I have gotten an Abyssal to help my team.

In general, you would always get an AP item for its utility not just to stack AP.

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2011

Dragun pretty much has it. Anytime you start looking at AP for Shen, you first need to weigh the item's other benefits. To get enough AP to make any meaningful bonus to your ultimate, you typically give up too much defense for it. You're a tank first, so focus on that. Luxury AP items certainly are nice to give a slight boost, but it's the secondary effects that you care about.

Lord Darius

02-17-2011

The only one i get often is the Abyssal, you do waste about 1500g from your tanking items, but in a pinch the increased AP as well as -20 aura can really help out the team.
Im not sure if it could work but hour glass might be nice if they have a large number of physical attack. not what happens when you taunt then HG.
i personally dont like Rylais on him, the slow is ok, but its expensive and i would rather MR or armor than HP. Plus if i need a slow Randium is normally my go-to
Basic rule of thumb, if I'm getting AP then it best come with some MR or armor, else i dont think its worth it.

Elect

02-17-2011

Thanks for the replies all. The Rylai was an interesting idea.

I will have to try to abysmal. I guess it all depends on how many hero kills I am getting in game. If I'm not getting any, straying from the tank path may be too expensive.

Cm DestroyerV

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2011

I only build a rabadon's for sh*** and giggles if the game not over yet. The AP scaling is not to great on shen.

Gato Muerto

02-17-2011

I have tossed around the idea of Rylai's as well. Health and AP, but it would be taking up the spot for one of your tankier items. I would personally vote it higher than a WarMog's, but less than say a BV.

JunSupport

02-17-2011

AP Warwick is more fun.

Shen's work better with Warmog and tanky HP items so his Ki strike can really cut people deep.
A vorpal blade that kills the minions means you can't heal off them. X3

aviraaaa

02-17-2011

Pureply stack AP is a slight waste on Shen, but AP/tank runes (such as Rylai's Crystal Scepter) can be useful, I like to get some when I play Shen.

ldfhndfjkndh

02-17-2011

AP Shen is surprisingly effective, despite the fact that tank Shen is infinitely better. But you have to build him tank/AP if you want him to be even the least bit effective in team fights, as he WILL be in the front lines.

Sheen/Lich Bane is a must on AP Shen. Vorpal Blade+Ki Strike+LB proc'd autoattack is nothing to joke about. His Feint is also like a Sion shield, but better, and his ultimate's shield can take more hits, making him a better saver. Rylai's is also great; health for tanking purposes, AP for flat damage, and the slow makes him a great chaser.

Cooldown reduction is also effective on him. I usually get CDR boots, meaning with runes/masteries I get over 30% CD. 500 damage Vorpal Blade nuke with 2 second CD? Yes please.

Other good items are: Deathfire Grasp, Rabadon's Deathcap, Guinsoo's Rageblade, Haunting Guise, and other tank items.