Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is Kiting a legit tactic?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Avloren

01-27-2010

Quote:
Alarik33:
Hi, I have a similar problem. I play ranged classes and melee will always try and close in and hit me. Sometimes they will stun me so I can't do anything and they will beat on me from close up. As they generally have more health and/or do more damage than I do this usually results in my death. Very frustrating tactic.

Is this regarded as a legit tactic or do others (like me) regard it as cheap?

I propose we impose a penalty on players who attempt to close into melee range, by making them take increased damage while they are moving towards another player.

Thoughts?

As an Ashe player I heartily agree with this penalty - what are those melees thinking, trying to get close where they can defeat me with their superior damage? Cheap.

I also agree with damage/armor penalties to people running away, because as a ranged dps with a slow, this'd help me a hell of a lot more than it'd help the poor melees I'm kiting - because the moment they realize they can't catch me and turn to run, I start chasing them, and this would end their tormented lives that much quicker.

On a serious note.. it's fine as is, no changes needed. If you're a melee and you really don't have any ranged ability or any way to close the gap with a ranged champion (most melees have one if not both) then don't chase someone who can kite you. If this seems unfair, consider that your champion must have some advantage to make up for his lack of range and lack of a way to close with ranged champions - so make use of that advantage, and rely on your teammates to cover your disadvantages, i.e. let them initiate and CC ranged champions for you so you can catch up and beat their faces in.

Janovjev

01-27-2010

guess when he'll come to attack you,stun him and beat his ass :P

Kritara

01-27-2010

Last I heard this was a TEAM game. If you can't handle a lane, try to get somebody to switch with you. If nobody can switch with you, well you guys got boned at champion selection.
As for getting kited, don't forget you have teammates. Ping the guy you wanna kill and ask for help. If nobody comes they fail at playing as a TEAM in a TEAM game.
Basically, what I'm trying to say is...IT'S A TEAM GAME. Kiting is fair game, as most characters who can/do kite are usually very squishy.

Kiting: Working as intended.

aL Core

01-27-2010

Is that a serous question?

I mean, the answer is obvious. Let's suppose I pick TF, and face Sion mid. Sion has a stun, and some othr devastating abilities. I have a stun, a nuke, and a slow Ultimate I won't probably use.
Now, fight. I'm ranged, so I can throw a pair of cards to Sion, doing... 50 damage? Sion doesn't even notice it. I gold card him, throw Wild Cards, and take a bit more than 1/3 his HP, because he has so great survavility. Now he stuns me, crush me for half my HP with a blow, and I try to run away but I can't because I'm slowed and Sion needs to fight for more than 5 minutes per game. Sion hits me 2 more times and I'm completely destroyed becouse i'm paper, i got no armor, and without Health runes my HP flies away.

Sion would laugh and go get some chips.

Drake Tseng

01-27-2010

Quote:
eronar:
Best solution to earlygame kiting is playing with Chogath. Just autoattack creeps and you will outheal any damage, and earn gold in the process.

This.

/thread

Gigg

01-27-2010

Quote:
Alarik33:
Hi, I have a similar problem. I play ranged classes and melee will always try and close in and hit me. Sometimes they will stun me so I can't do anything and they will beat on me from close up. As they generally have more health and/or do more damage than I do this usually results in my death. Very frustrating tactic.

Is this regarded as a legit tactic or do others (like me) regard it as cheap?

I propose we impose a penalty on players who attempt to close into melee range, by making them take increased damage while they are moving towards another player.

Thoughts?

Ok, as you probably saw, this thread talks about kiting, which is exactly what you must do to beat a melee champ as a ranged champ. You must stay out of their range and take off some of their health bar without being hit. If they do more dmg then you, its because they bought better items then you or they just made more gold in the laning phase. Aka buying philosopher stone as ashe. If you buy a BF sword instead, you will do more dmg. Depends of what you want to do.

Implemanting that kind of penalties would ruin the game, mostly. Giving good ranged player a ridiculous bonus against melee's.

Tarion

01-27-2010

Quote:
PrawnWonton:
WTF is Singed supposed to do if he doesn't kite?
This. Singed is basically built around kiting.

II Zer0 II

01-27-2010

Oh yes that surely is legit. We human are accustomed to kiting since the day of our primitive ancestors.

Of course when they're hunting smaller animals they're the chaser and those critters will be kiting a lot.
And there comes the time where smaller animals are scarce or when they are actually become hunted by large predators, they will be the one kiting them, right?

So umm.. if god actually try to nerf kiting, maybe you won't have chance to play LoL today.

That being said, I always play melee hero. The thrill of hunting/having to figure out some way to close that gap or to set up an ambush is always more challenging than playing a range hero.

miltow

01-27-2010

This is a fail thread I wonder why there are so many posts.

Aspie

01-27-2010

Quote:
Noctred:
That's pretty much what I think of this thread.

If something gives you an advantage, then you do it. If it's within the bounds of the game rules and not something you could classify as a technical exploit, then it is 100% legit. Period.

Unfortunately, it is my experience that most people abuse every exploit they can find, and then claim it is NOT an exploit, giving various reasons.

To those who cheat, an exploit to them is not an exploit because...

- it's in the game (on purpose or not is not the question with them)
- some things can counter it (most can't though)
- you can do it too (same applies to using hacks, right?)
- you just suck!

Really, players might as well admit it. They have no self-respect and will gladly abuse every bug or hack they can get their hands on if it gets them a win, because that is exactly what I've seen for years now. They will tell themselves ANYTHING to make it seem like a fair and honest win.

-edit- I'd like to add that I'm not for this threads idea, as kiting is of course a long known legit tactic, annoying as it can be to deal with.