Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is Kiting a legit tactic?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vijaya

01-26-2010

I can't see imposing a penalty being a good thing in any way. What happens during team fights? Say, three of your teammates die and the other two run. If there's a penalty (specifically a slow), those two aren't going to get away. Getting a single ace can change a bad game into a good game, and a good game into one the enemy can't win. That's just too much.

Also, some characters rely on kiting because it's all they have. I'm thinking Nidalee early game. She starts out rather squishy, and has to rely on positioning her traps and kiting with her spear. If she can do this successfully, her enemy is either turret hugging, at base or dead. Given that any long game is influenced a LOT by what happens early game, I can't see giving her a penalty for fighting in the only way she's capable of succeeding as a bad thing.

Arlando

01-26-2010

i play with gangplank. my whole play style is about hitting and running. i dont quite understand what you want here. when i read it it basically looks like a "why isnt every champion melee" argument.

i dont see hitting and running as kiting. kiting is running a distance constantly hitting the guy chasing you until hes dead. you shouldnt be chasing down a kill that long. as far as closing the gap on ranged, thats an inherent problem for melee champs and easily solved with summoner spells and items, but not so easily applied.

would your suggestions add strategy? probably, but lets talk about what problems would arise. first off, penalizing ranged and buffing melee would cause people to be less likely to play ranged to start with. you would have to force players to play certain roles otherwise youd have a team full of melee. how would aoe work, if they are running from you they are facing the epicenter, when you mean running away do you mean from the champion or the effect of the spell, that couldnt be sorted out at all. what about global spells such as gangplanks barrage that are global and more than likely have no champion in the near vicinity. if a melee was attacked by two ranged and "slowed" by your idea, he could catch one ranged but would have to traverse twice the distance to get to the other ranged, thereby causing him more harm than good. what about one enemy using combat to slow a large group while the other enemies backdoor turrets or other structures, that makes it sound easily exploited. there are inherent differences between magical and physical, melee and ranged, if you want to balance them you could eliminate one, which is basically what youre suggesting. while i appreciate your suggestions i thnk they are shortsighted. it sounds to me like youre having trouble with ranged with a melee character and rather than adapt your game and figure out how to close the gap youd rather have riot modify the game mechanics to improve your skill. if you had suggested limiting things in combat, such as drinking elixirs, going stealth, or recalling, i would have still disagreed but thought they were not as easily dismissed as these suggestions.

on a side note, i think its funny when people call me names like chicken because i didnt stay, fight and die. if you want my life you have to take it, im not going give it to you. with that same logic why dont those people expect their opponents to just surrender at 25 minutes.

TheMountainGoat

01-26-2010

Quote:
Eambo:
Most notably was the 'bomb and run', where they plant the bomb over you and run. VERY frustrating.

that's his [zilean's] job. his presence is very strong early game. if he wasn't harassing you with bombs, he would be forfeiting his lane to you.

when playing a ranged/caster champ, harassing melee champs is how you establish lane control. whoever starts hitting the hardest first gains control of the lane, as the weakened champs have to hang back at their tower and recover, or recall and lose precious EXP and gold. if you control lane = you get more creep kills = exp+gold = early head start.

if you don't like getting harassed by ranged/caster champs, my only advice is to play one yourself, or play more aggressive. i know very well how annoying it is getting harassed by ranged attacks, and i won't play any champ that doesn't have a good ranged attack for early game farming for this very reason. if you lack ranged attacks, you have to be pretty aggressive early game and show the squishies who's boss (i.e. gank them from the brush with your lanemate), or you're going to have a hard time. he probably isn't going to want to toy with you if he knows you're not a'scared to bite his head off.

ByronicHero

Web Content Editor

Follow ByronicHero on Twitter

01-26-2010

Quote:
nicosharp:
it is frustrating to deal with playing certain melee champs, but it is part of the game. There are items, skills, and summoner abilities to capitalize on when facing champs that can effectively do this. Primarily Ashe and Twitch.

flash
cleanse
ghostwalk
merc treads
quicksilver sash
dodge items and masteries
defensive mastery nimbleness
ranged stun
warden's mail
banshee's veil

I've been killed by many twitches doing the kite walk shot bs late game. So, I feel your pain. It's typically not a issue until late game when the ranged carry can isolate a tank trying to disable them in a hectic team fight, and have items like phage, etc. Considering how quickly the ranged carry can pop, its pretty fair.

You forgot about Frozen Mallet and Crest of the Lizard Elder, both of which are available fairly readily and can keep an enemy in melee range.

PrawnWonton

01-26-2010

Wow, penalties for kiting? You want to just stand toe-to-toe and trade blows?

WTF is Singed supposed to do if he doesn't kite?

Anything other than blatant exploiting of game breaking glitches is a 'legitimate' tactic.

eronar

01-26-2010

Best solution to earlygame kiting is playing with Chogath. Just autoattack creeps and you will outheal any damage, and earn gold in the process.

Noctred

01-26-2010

Quote:
Etyn:
There is a subtle difference between players who play for fun and players who play to win.

Those who play to win, do what works. Like KITING.

Those who play for fun create delusional barriers such as "cheap tactics". While nothing to do with the game it's self these tactics create barriers a player will never over come, because they are internal.

That's pretty much what I think of this thread.

If something gives you an advantage, then you do it. If it's within the bounds of the game rules and not something you could classify as a technical exploit, then it is 100% legit. Period.

Omega Therion

01-26-2010

Cleanse, Banshee's Veil and Merc Treads.

Don't leave home without 'em if you're a hard melee with no real escape option.

scrubout

01-26-2010

Quote:
Eambo:
I feel that in this scenario, you should have the advantage since you've managed to engage them. Thus they should either:
A) Receive a damage bonus for having their back to the enemy
B) Receive a speed penalty for running from the battle.

play tryndamere

Alarik33

01-26-2010

Hi, I have a similar problem. I play ranged classes and melee will always try and close in and hit me. Sometimes they will stun me so I can't do anything and they will beat on me from close up. As they generally have more health and/or do more damage than I do this usually results in my death. Very frustrating tactic.

Is this regarded as a legit tactic or do others (like me) regard it as cheap?

I propose we impose a penalty on players who attempt to close into melee range, by making them take increased damage while they are moving towards another player.

Thoughts?