Crit % vs. Crit damage runes : the math

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WhysoSully

01-26-2010

i guess if you go crit % runes instead of getting phantom dancer you could get last whisper or somethingbut IE isnt repaceable

Darkening

01-26-2010

Very nice bit of math there. Thank you very much for this guide. Currently I have 14% chance and 14% damage in runes, but I think I'll switch over to all chance runes.

Rageplant

01-26-2010

"44% crit chance BEFORE getting that infinity's edge, up until you reach that threshold of 64% crit chance"

IE gives you the 20% crit chance, doesnt it?

EnderTheXenocide

01-26-2010

Ah touche, yes if you already have 44% crit before IE, then IE itself will get you up to 64%.

Unless of course you already got the +18% crit item as a component of IE, and you're counting that towards your 44%... then completing IE will only boost you up to 46%

aanallein

01-26-2010

regardless of the math, the point is burst damage. you're more likely to kill somebody if you crit harder because they can escape or be healed or whatnot in game.

Unhandled

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2010

I'm not a math major, but wouldn't base crit chance have some sort of an impact on this as well? I actually use a mixture of Armor Penetration, Crit Chance, and Crit DMG, but of the three I think the one I would probably ditch first (perhaps in favor of dodge or something else) would be Crit DMG.

I wish I had a statistics mod for LoL that I could use to run the numbers to actually see which rune setup provided me the most rounded play.

I know people have builds designed around Crit DMG + IE but it isn't too difficult to stuff a team in the first 5 minutes with a build designed to exploit the players early mid game that have yet to finish their IE.

For me, it's 100% about how quickly I can get my ULT, after that it's how quickly I can build Stark's Fervor.

Kung Fu English

01-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanallein View Post
regardless of the math, the point is burst damage. you're more likely to kill somebody if you crit harder because they can escape or be healed or whatnot in game.
This.

Just because your sustained DPS may be higher, doesn't mean it is a better choice. Your damage potential in a short amount of time is what is most important, and crit dmg gives you that which crit chance cannot. It's just like pvp in WoW. Burst prevents healing, sustained damage, while higher over time, will not.

Also it's not hard to get 77% crit chance without runes. Exec calling, IE, phantom dancer + base + mastery = 77%. Boom and with runes you now have 300% crit damage. Good night. This wins 5v5s later game and can turn the tide of a game. I've done it many times.

Psi21

01-27-2010

This is my concern EnderTheXenocide.

I have 40% Crit Damage runes and 4.7% Crit Chance runes on my summoners page.

My Mastery Tree includes an additional 10% Crit Damage and 2% Critical Chance.

Total: My Summoner has 50% Crit Damage and 6.7% Crit Chance.

A champion at level 1 starts with typically have 3% chance to crit and then gains 0.5 % to crit every level.

At level 18 a champion (without gear or masteries or runes) has about 11.5% crit chance.

In the beginning of the game I get two agility cloaks that I change into Infinity Edge and then Phantom Dancer. Giving me 36% to crit at a cost of only 1760 gold.

By taking your normal progression I then get.
Infinity Edge gives 50% crit damage and 20% to crit.

Next I get the Phantom Dancer which has a lot of stats but for all purposes I will list the one that makes the difference which is 30% to crit.

In a realistic game I can get both the Infinity Edge and at least the Agility cloak and Zeal on my way to the Phantom Dancer.

Final realistic stats at the end game of a typical game:
+100% Crit damage
+68.2% Crit chance

You did note that at 64% crit chance 50% crit damage became more valuable. So in a realistic game would the mix of crit damage and crit percent I gave at the top be more valuable in a typical average game than 20% crit percent?

Quick Note: It is easy to get crit chance in the game as it was mentioned in this thread but after the Infinity Edge; the only real alternative to crit damage is the Sword of Occult.

TLDR: I think more variables of the game need to be worked into the Original Post. But I am thankful for EnderTheXenocide
work.

_

Jakx

01-27-2010

Great post. Glad you explained the math.

However, 64% crit rate isn't hard to get. I've seen many Twitch's with almost 100% crit chance late game. Then you talk about Shaco or Tryndamere, 64% crit is a joke. So, basically, you have to look at 2 things.

1) How hard will it be to get my champion to 64% crit?
2) Are you looking to dominate early game and hope win quickly (Go with Crit Runes), or are you looking toward a late game win where you can get enough crit through items (Go Crit Damage)

Varmin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu English View Post
This.

Just because your sustained DPS may be higher, doesn't mean it is a better choice. Your damage potential in a short amount of time is what is most important, and crit dmg gives you that which crit chance cannot. It's just like pvp in WoW. Burst prevents healing, sustained damage, while higher over time, will not.
You can't really compare it to pvp in WoW. Pvp in WoW is a very healing centered game. You really only have 2 ways to win in wow pvp, to either drain their healer of mana, or to burst through their healing. (except for team comps without healers, then it's a bit different.)

LoL however has much less healing than WoW, even if 50% healing debuffs didn't exist, few champions can heal and still then for only mild amounts.

Crit % and Crit Damage both increase your 'Burst'. Crit % increases how often you will see burst, and crit damage how much it will be for.