The Superior Farming Method

Ricochet 4 23.53%
Boomerang Blade 2 11.76%
Spell Shield 2 11.76%
A combination of the first two 7 41.18%
Facerolling ftw 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Sivir - Richochet or Boomerang Blade for farming?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sadness Assassin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2010

I usually play Sivir in games and build the stand Chalice-Zerkers-Starks and vary from that point. However, my question lies in what others consider the best method for farming: Boomerang Blade (the name kills me a little inside) or Richochet. I prescribe to the Richochet school of thought by leveling it with higher priority over Boomerang Blade (though I start out with the latter). It seems to me that at higher levels, Ricochet farms faster so I prefer to level it up first. I tend to use Boomerang Blade for harassment until later on when I use it in conjunction with Ricochet to wipe out waves in a second. However, I have also heard that some forgo Ricochet until later and focus on Boomerang Blade.

I intend to investigate the matter for myself posthaste, but I'd like to hear the opinions of others. Thus I ask, what method do you tend to use for Sivir farming and how come? I'd appreciate the input.

~Sadness Assassin

Slide

01-26-2010

Actually they are best used in conjunction.

Ricochet is easier.

Boomerang Blade is more effective.

Either way, when the pushing REALLY gets going you should have points in both. Full BB with 3 points in ricochet wipes creep waves in, literally, 2 seconds.

Early game BB has a LOT more utility the ricochet and farms better. Once your rolling in mid game though, you want both so when attacking a tower, your creep wave doesnt even bother with the enemy creep wave as you kill it before it causes your creeps to move.

Either way though, Sivir is a farming machine. The real key is using the gold as effectively as possible.

In case it wasnt clear, its a combination of the 2, but priority to BB as it is FAR superior early game if youve got the skill to make it count. If your just learning or plain bad, ricochet is pretty noob proof as long as you watch your mana.

Livingsword

01-26-2010

Both.
No matter which you favor, you'll have points in both seen how Spell Shield's CD reduction from leveling is marginal enough to leave for late game. Never forgo Ricochet/BB in favor for SS in your build, the higher they are the more you contribute to team fights, Spell Shield will likely never go off CD twice in a team fight anyway so getting more then a point early on is a waste...

Slide

01-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingsword View Post
Both.
No matter which you favor, you'll have points in both seen how Spell Shield's CD reduction from leveling is marginal enough to leave for late game. Never forgo Ricochet/BB in favor for SS in your build, the higher they are the more you contribute to team fights, Spell Shield will likely never go off CD twice in a team fight anyway so getting more then a point early on is a waste...
Well, there are a couple of VERY specific situations where you do indeed level up spell shield.

Their names are Annie and Veigar and it all goes down in the land of mid.

Other then that though, your right. Course Im pretty sure spell shield being in the pole was a joke, as its a poll about farming and it doesnt actually help you farm.

Mpalm

01-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingsword View Post
Both.
I disagree about spell shield.

I'd only suggest 2-3 points in ricochet and maxing out Spell shield first.

Sadness Assassin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2010

Just played a few matches favoring Boomerang Blade earlier. It works pretty well, though it's fairly obvious I haven't got the hang of it. It's definitely more effective for keeping pressure on your opponent. Nothing like seeing a quarter of your health bar slip away to make you beat a hasty retreat. Having at high level earlier also makes it easy to sneak a kill in by tossing a Boomerang Blade from the jungle next to their turret as their bluepilling.
I like to get spell shield at level 4, level 2 if I'm up against people with CC or a rather annoying ability. I don't tend to level it up further until later, unless I happen to be up against someone who's spell heavy. Annie and Veigar certainly come to mind, as does a spammy Cho'Gath or Ryze. Then the extra seconds of cooldown help a lot in keeping me alive. I think maxing out Spell Shield out instead of Boomerang Blade would be a rather drastic action. I'd maybe consider it if I was up against a team that seemed intent to fill the map with CC and spells.
Anyway, thanks for the advice so far. I'll keep working at it until I can optimize my farming. You're a prolific writer, QUICKSLIDE =D. I always see your posts on Sivir and other threads and they're always well-argued so I'll be sure to take your advice to heart.

Slide

01-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadness Assassin View Post
Just played a few matches favoring Boomerang Blade earlier. It works pretty well, though it's fairly obvious I haven't got the hang of it. It's definitely more effective for keeping pressure on your opponent. Nothing like seeing a quarter of your health bar slip away to make you beat a hasty retreat. Having at high level earlier also makes it easy to sneak a kill in by tossing a Boomerang Blade from the jungle next to their turret as their bluepilling.
I like to get spell shield at level 4, level 2 if I'm up against people with CC or a rather annoying ability. I don't tend to level it up further until later, unless I happen to be up against someone who's spell heavy. Annie and Veigar certainly come to mind, as does a spammy Cho'Gath or Ryze. Then the extra seconds of cooldown help a lot in keeping me alive. I think maxing out Spell Shield out instead of Boomerang Blade would be a rather drastic action. I'd maybe consider it if I was up against a team that seemed intent to fill the map with CC and spells.
Anyway, thanks for the advice so far. I'll keep working at it until I can optimize my farming. You're a prolific writer, QUICKSLIDE =D. I always see your posts on Sivir and other threads and they're always well-argued so I'll be sure to take your advice to heart.
Well, thanks for the vote of confidence man. Always nice to hear. Im glad youve seen the power of BB.

As Ive mentioend many times, yes BB requires skill. A LOT of it if you want to do well with it. Heres a couple tips:

If the enemy you are facing constantly dodges your BB (it does happen, or you only hit them with half each time) focus more on the creep wave. No sense spending mana making someone move a couple inches to the left. If you cant hit them then you at least want the tower stealing their gold.

Against squishies, be sure to hit them and the ceep wave with priority to the creep wave. They will become comfortable with the low damage it does after passing through so many targets. When they invariably jump you for the kill, BB them and no other target and watch them flee in terror, or, more likely, die on your crossblade. Youd be suprised what you can turn around by throwing BB, dropping rally and activating a potion. Ive killed countless tristanas and teemos in mid this way.

When your attacking a tower, make sure you are standing in line with the creep wave. This lets you easilly throw a BB down the line when they approach, and quickly gets rid of them in combination with ricochet (your still attacking the tower, its just then bouncing down the creep line).

BB actually has a pretty long range. You can often toss it while being in tower range, hit the tower hugging champion and be out of range before the tower ever shoots you. I get a lot of kills like this when were assaulting the base towers.

You can hit people on the oposite side of a lane from the path inside the junlge in most areas. You figured this out already, but it can lead to some free kills youwould otherwise think you can nab. Yes, blupilling heroes are easy money with a high powered BB.

Anyways, cant think of anything more at the moment. Cheers Bud.

Varmin

01-27-2010

BB isn't hard to hit. Most people try to throw it at heroes who are standing still because they look like they are easier to hit. However, heroes that are moving are often easier to hit because they aren't looking out for the BB.

SkeetSkeetSkeet

01-27-2010

Initially I go..

1.)BB
2.)Ricochet
3.)BB
4.)Ricochet
5.)BB
6.)Ricochet
7.)BB
8.)ULT

I don't activate the ricochet until the third level of it and usually while I'm waiting on my Clarity to cool down. So until level 3-5 I'm not really using it at all, except when I'm waiting on more mana. Then when I hit 8 I take out creep waves in 2-4 seconds, and if they've fed me it's even quicker.

Almost always gets you the first kill in middle and an assist in the side lane. If they're are being smart at the very least you will begin to strangle them of EXP and Gold from having to tower hug or recall to town.

FYI Improved Rally is sick with BB if you do your skills in this order too.

Slide

01-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmin View Post
BB isn't hard to hit. Most people try to throw it at heroes who are standing still because they look like they are easier to hit. However, heroes that are moving are often easier to hit because they aren't looking out for the BB.
Well, that is true.

I guess what I should have said was BB is hard to master. Once you do though, it gets pretty ridiculous. A big part of it is knowing the exact range the boomerang extends to, once you have that down, its much easier to get the full damage on enemy champions by hitting them at the end of the distance.

I should mention though that eventually you get to a point where people EXPECT you to be throwing BB's at them and are prepared to dodge at a moments notice. It really depends on what ELO your playing at. Mine for instance (somewhere around mid I would imagine, I dont try hard enough, play enough and play with new friends too often to get to high ELO) I often face people in mid who its a comlpete waste to shoot BB's at as they dodge it every time. In those situations I toss BB at the creep waves while trying to get the enemy champion in it. More often then not they dodge, but I have still taken away 1/2 of their creep waves HP. Aside from that I wait for them to commit before I try to hit them with it.