Advanced Tristana?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valduran

01-22-2010

I play Tristana almost exclusively and I do pretty decently with her, but I'm looking for tips on how I can improve my game even more. Basically I'm tired of being "that decent guy" on the team. >.>
I've had a few games where I've played a super-star Tristy, so I know it's possible, but I can't quite pull it off against players who really know what they are doing.

So, some tips and advice from any advanced Tristana players would be greatly appreciated!

Question #1: Items

Currently I start with Life Steal > Berserker Boots or Phage > Zeal, then I get Infinity Edge, Malady, and Phantom Dancer depending on what I can afford, and afterward I usually fill the final slot with a Black Cleaver or Bloodthirster.

Final Build:
Malady
Berserker Boots
Frozen Mallet
Infinity Edge
Phantom Dancer
Black Cleaver or Bloodthirster

I do ok with this build, and it totally destroys almost anything late game, but early game it seems too weak to get many kills and I often end up falling slightly behind the other carries on my team and thus usually am not the top carry on my team. Any suggestions on how to make it more effective early-game or just in general?

Question #2: Runes

I'm only level 16 atm so I haven't screwed around with runes that much, but for future reference I'm wondering what build has the best synergy with Tristana?
Currently I'm simply putting Crit Chance in reds, armor in yellows and magic resist in blue, but I plan to change it once I hit level 20. Mainly what I'm wondering about is Crit Chance vs Crit Dmg vs Attack Speed for yellows.

Question #3: Gameplay

This is the biggest part for me. I'm looking for general advice on how the pros play Tristana. Tips of any kind are welcome, as long as they aren't the type of thing anyone would know.

Thanks!

Valduran

01-22-2010

Bump. Are there really so few advanced Tristana players out there or am I just asking the wrong questions? =/

Beegly Boogs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2010

Play Corki. Trist is a poor man's corki. I can't remember the last time I saw someone actually carry as trist.

I looked at about the top 80 of the top 100, two of them had Trist in their recent 10 games. I don't think too many people play her adv.

Valduran

01-22-2010

Haha, well that kinda makes me like her even more because then I am playing a fairly unique hero that I really like. It's enough that I already know she is viable if played right, I've proved it to myself too many times. I just need to get better and better at playing her, that's all. She's too cute to abandon.

And it's funny that you mention you can't remember seeing someone carry as Trist, because a person on the enemy team(who was level 30) that I dominated 25-2 last game said the same thing to me. It's nice to be underestimated.

J T

01-22-2010

Are you looking to convince yourself that she's viable or are you actually looking to get better? It looks like you're trying to pull off both at the moment. Beating a level 30 doesn't make you a superstar (I've seen some pretty stupid 30's) and dominating a game as Tristana, whilst possible against decent players, usually means that the enemy team isn't particularly clever.

Corki is stronger than Tristana in nearly every way. There's not much reason at all to pick her over him. If you really prefer to play as her, then none of this will matter, but you're handicapping yourself.

Valduran

01-22-2010

Nah. I already know she's viable, as well as being entirely aware of the fact that there are alot of more scary heroes out there. I just like her, so I've chosen to stick with her in spite of the fact that she requires alot of care in order to shine. So instead of telling me to play Corki, some genuine advice might be nice. =/
I WILL NEVER PLAY CORKI!!11!oneone@!!

In the matter of dominating a game, it's the same for any carry, it just takes a little more effort to pull off with Tristana, but once you've got that great early game taken care of she's just as scary as any fed carry. Dominating with any carry doesn't especially happen if the enemy team is particularly clever, so your point doesn't really say much. ^^

Naje

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2010

I play tristana like I play with every other champion that has a skill that gives attack speed %, which is crit/damage build. I try to build:

Vampiric, Greaves, Avarice Blades, Avararice blades, Infinity Edge, Phantom's - then exec's + swap avarices with a Black Cleaver + Tiamat or Blood Thirster.

Or you can play tristana AP wise which is really powerful early/mid game but a lot weaker in late game.

J T

01-22-2010

You're asking for pro Tristana advice when nobody plays her like that. I've never seen a clever team allow a Tristana to be fed. I don't know what your definition of clever is, but mine is a team that will shut down carries enough to stop them from going 25-2 on one player.

Good luck in your search though.

Valduran

01-22-2010

That's exactly my point. Corki will do no better than Tristana against a clever team. What's your point? No thanks for your help. Random discouraging is not appreciated, I'm here to learn.

Thanks for your input Dolphin, I'll look into your build variation.

Edit: Found a better build actually. Same as the one I listed above except with Bloodthirster completely replacing Malady and always getting Black Cleaver. According to the leaguecraft champion builder it provides a boost of over 100 DPS compared to my original build, assuming a maxed Bloodthirster. Atm this is the highest DPS Tristana build I've been able to come up with a nifty 1012.6 DPS at base attack speed of 1.41.

Noctred

01-22-2010

Tristana isn't much different from your typical ranged carry. There's nothing "special" about her that requires more "care".

Farming doesn't get much more mindless than Explosive Shot. Farm your heart out till you have your major items, then go find a good position, wait for your team to initiate, and Rapid Fire/auto-attack your way to a win. Farm some more and/or backdoor towers during downtime, as long as you maintain good map awareness.

As for early game, I generally keep lizard buff up as much as possible and rush an Infinity Edge as my first major item (after Zerker Boots). After that, it really doesn't matter too much. Most of the time though, I go Boots > Infinity Edge > Bloodthirster > Phantom Dancer > Black Cleaver > Banshee's Veil. I usually do not get Mallet on Trist - I just keep lizard up as often as possible. If there are high armor tanks, I'll fit a Last Whisper in there somewhere. Sometimes I'll get a Bloodthirster before a IE.

Runes - you don't need attack speed. Trist gets more than enough attack speed from items and Rapid Fire. Crit chance can work, but IMO isn't necessary since you're going to get a ton of it from items soon enough. What you want, for the most part, is crit damage and armor penetration. Dodge works for yellows, as well.

In general - unless she is fed by bad players, Trist is a heavy end-game champion. Have your team turtle if you must until you're able to farm out your item set. Once you have your items, you should be able to rip anything apart in seconds - including champs like Rammus. Unfortunately, most games don't last that long, so just do what you can. Focus on damage items early on. Not attack speed. Not lifesteal. Not crit chance.