Teemo VS Tristana Comparison

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JohnCataldo

01-27-2010

My straight up, brief comparison:

Tristana is a hard carry. She has a highly viable escape skill, two if you include Buster Shot, while Teemo lacks anything like an escape skill. For strict damage output including dropping towers, Tristana is top tier. Tristana is ridiculous late game but unimpressive early in the game. If you reach level 18 in 90% of your games, Tristana may well be stronger, but otherwise it's a difficult comparison (and a bit apples/oranges).

Teemo just doesn't do as much damage. Teemo harasses better early game with poison (explosive shot doesn't really compare). He has far greater team utility with mushrooms and blind. No one provides vision of the map better than Teemo (with the arguable exception of Twisted Fate). Teemo contributes more to group battles by shutting down the enemy carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valduran View Post
As a fairly experienced Tristana player I can say with a fair amount of confidence that Tristana is hands down the better character if she is played properly and given the time to develop. In terms of what they bring to the team, Teemo has a slight advantage early on with the utility of his mushrooms and the usefulness of blind in early team fights, but that advantage slowly decreases the longer the game goes on as Tristana's damage starts to surpass Teemo's by a large amount and the map control metagame simplifies to the point that mushrooms no longer serve as huge of a purpose.
I have to disagree re: map control. Early game, mushrooms aren't that exciting as you are sitting in lanes for the most part. Mid and late game play often involves a LOT of running around in the jungle or areas where players don't have vision (especially with more towers destroyed). Teemo's map control only becomes more valuable the longer the game goes.

Additionally, Blind only becomes more valuable later in the game. Champions die faster later in the game, which means the duration of blind is even more effective. Being blinded for two seconds late game hurts more than two seconds early in the game.

Quote:
1) More Damage. [...] Her auto-attack is much more deadly, and she is much less squishy and she much more reliable escape mechanisms. i.e. Tristana can't be negated by oracles. :P
I regularly eat enemy Twitches for breakfast late game.
Twitch isn't negated by Oracles either, though it makes it harder. (I'm not saying you don't pwn enemy Twitch's, but they may not be smart.)

Damage-wise, Trist doesn't really have any major advantage over Twitch. Both have large attack speed bonuses, Twitch from two different abilities. Twitch's ultimate provides more damage than Trist, even in a 1v1, and Trist can't begin to compare to Twitch's damage output in a team fight.

Compared to Teemo, though, Trist just does more damage. That much is true.

Quote:
Also, I haven't really seen people emphasize this obvious point, so I will: The primary advantage of Rapid Shot is the fact that it enables Tristana to completely free up 1 or 2 item slots that would normally have to be spent on attack speed. I believe this is the primary reason why her auto-attack is one of the most, if not THE most, deadly in the game.
Trist does damage. It's her thing.

Quote:
2) More survivability. Rocket Jump + Flash basically means that Tristana should NEVER die.
Rocket Jump is a major plus for Trist. Many heroes lack a built in escape at all, and this is almost top tier. (Top tier escapes includes Shaco's Deceive and Kassadin's spammable Rift Walk.)

Quote:
3) Buster Shot.
You compare this to both Teemo's ultimate and Blinding shot, but they are both fairly pointless comparisons. They do wildly different things, except that Blinding and Buster might both be used to keep you alive longer. I don't think there's much argument against Tristana's ultimate being one of the weakest in the game. I'm not saying it doesn't have it's uses, it obviously does, but whether or not it's better than knowing where the enemy is almost all of the time is silly to discuss. In general terms, it doesn't compare to the variety of AoE disables or damage, or a variety of other ultimate abilities.

Buster shot is certainly not a reason why Trist is much better than anyone else. If anything, it's a reason why she is worse. (If you just want to name every ability a champion has and say that HAVING the ability is better than not having it, well, of course that's true.)

Quote:
Also, in a 1v1 fight, Tristana still wins.
Sure, sometimes. Hardly important, and not relevant generally in group battles. The blind is better for team fights.

Quote:
TL;DR version: Teemo definitely has more utility early game, and arguably even end-game, but it is not nearly enough to make up for Tristana's insane death-dealing capabilities.

Beegly Boogs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2010

Twitch shouldn't be discussed atm since he's currently being balanced.

OmniOblivion

01-27-2010

Tristina can kill champs quicker than Teemo.

She does not have as much debuffs as Teemo, but she can nuke champions very unexpectedly (Rocket Jump>Buster Shot>Explosive Shot>Rapid Fire). You want to have Frozen Mallet or some kind of slow to make full use of her Rapid Shot and high damage.

As a nuker, if you can catch the enemy offguard, she can kill with just 1 run of all of her abilities.

T0ggle

01-27-2010

If your looking for a better character against casters tristana is probably the better choice.
But if your wondering if tristana is better then teemo, your mistaken, and thats probably because you build to much low attack speed items.
try
vampiric scepter(uppgrade to executioners calling if they have any heals or mundo regen after zeal)
beserker's greaves
zeal
infinity edge
Bloodthirster(if you didn't get executioners calling, this builds faster)
phantom dancer
The black cleaver
bloodthirster

This build slaughters any AD character to boot, with exhaust and blind you can keep twitch or yi blinded for nearly 7seconds(thats if you exhaust yi before he highlanders you) with 21%attack speed runes you'll be at around 1.7attack speed enough to get in attacks to heal you faster then they can nuke you. with 11%dodge runes you should be at around 36%dodge making AD that much harder to hit you.
I've played against pro tristanas in mid, teemo always gets to her, against casters teemo is pretty useless but tristana is another thing, she combines magic damage with attack speed. so blind still ruins maybe 25% of her damage, and shrooming in front of you can make her jump attack sad.

Valduran

01-27-2010

Some good points JohnCataldo. In some areas I must admit I'm not a true expert, especially since my experience playing heroes other than Tristana is fairly limited. However, there are a few things I think you left out in your effort to be fair to Teemo.

First, yes, Teemo's poison is better at harassing early-game, but explosive shot definitely does compare. Explosive shot just does a bit less damage, but with a utility bonus that almost makes up for the weaker damage if used right. On the same note: Tristana is much more likely to get an early game kill than Teemo unless he manages to lure someone onto a mushroom(which is unlikely against a decent player). Tristana's early game nuking power basically forces even the best of players(that I have met so far) to play cautiously against her or die. Solo mid vs. Tristana; if you are a squishy under half-health and within range of Rocket Jump, you're dead.

Quote:
Additionally, Blind only becomes more valuable later in the game. Champions die faster later in the game, which means the duration of blind is even more effective. Being blinded for two seconds late game hurts more than two seconds early in the game.
I didn't mean to imply that Blind becomes less useful late-game. What I was saying is merely that Tristana's insane damage generally surpasses any utility brought from Blind.

Quote:
I have to disagree re: map control. Early game, mushrooms aren't that exciting as you are sitting in lanes for the most part. Mid and late game play often involves a LOT of running around in the jungle or areas where players don't have vision (especially with more towers destroyed). Teemo's map control only becomes more valuable the longer the game goes.
To be honest, I don't have enough experience playing with good teams to argue with this, but Teemo's mushrooms are easily replacable by wards, and the reason why I said the map control game simplifies is because the teams begin to move in predictable patterns that require less visibility to counter. They're either moving to attack a turret, moving to ambush you, at baron, or defending their base. To a tactical thinker, the game becomes very simple at this point and the unknown variables are mostly eliminated. At this point in the game, it is better to have some serious firepower on your hands then a bit of extra vision that is easily replaced by items.

Quote:
Twitch isn't negated by Oracles either, though it makes it harder. (I'm not saying you don't pwn enemy Twitch's, but they may not be smart.)

Damage-wise, Trist doesn't really have any major advantage over Twitch. Both have large attack speed bonuses, Twitch from two different abilities. Twitch's ultimate provides more damage than Trist, even in a 1v1, and Trist can't begin to compare to Twitch's damage output in a team fight.
True, I was exaggerating about the oracles, but my point is that an unstealthed Twitch is much less scary than an unstealthed Tristana; Tristana is ALWAYS scary.
Also, I don't really factor Spray n' Pray into the comparison. Yes, it's an insane ability, OP even, but it is also possible to negate, and without his ultimate Twitch really isn't much of a threat. Tristana is consistently dangerous, all the time. The only way to shut her down is take her out of the fight completely and THAT is a very difficult thing to do. When comparing Twitch to Tristana people only think about Twitch's ability to potentially wipe an entire team and they don't factor in anything else, such as how easy it is to kill Twitch in a team fight, or how easy it is to prevent Twitch from ever becoming a threat in the first place by giving him a terrible early game. Tristana is almost impossible to prevent from becoming powerful unless you shut down her entire team early on, and if you can do that, then it probably doesn't matter what heroes you have in the first place. :P

Valduran

01-27-2010

@T0ggle: I highly doubt your claim of playing versus pro Tristanas. :P

Tristana doesn't Rocket Jump on Teemo's head unless he is low enough health to finish him off very quickly. Only an idiot Tristana tries to kill Teemo by blasting away with auto-attack early game. I'm usually only jump in for the kill when a skill combo plus maybe one or two auto-attacks will finish them. I don't even put a point into Rapid Shot until at least level 8. Also, only an idiot Tristana isn't paying attention to where Teemo puts his mushrooms.

Annnd... Tristana gets exhaust as well. So by your calculation of Teemo's awesomeness, he just lost 50% of it.

Late game Tristana does enough damage to mow Teemo(and most other heroes) down in under two seconds. It doesn't really matter if you blind her. Worst case scenario; she has to jump away. Other than blind, Teemo is a joke next to Tristana.