[A Question] To all the Veigars..

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mordraer

10-09-2009

I play Veigar pretty much 90% of my pre-made games, and typically go with the following strategy:

I try to solo a lane to better farm with Q to get my AP with last hits, starting out with the mana crystal to build tear, then go sorc boots, soulstealer, archmage, and then zhonya. I have been using a full +AP/level runebook, but am considering going max spell penetration and filling the rest with +AP. In most of my games I don't really get into many fights until at least level 10, and by that time I have enough AP that I'm pretty lethal. By the end of most games I am usually #1 in kills, sometimes #2.

I play a very passive Veigar early game, gank if I see something in mid-game, and very aggressive in the late-game. The heroes that typically give me the most trouble are Jax, Ryze (in early game laning, assuming we're against each other solo), and Gangplank (because you can't stun him effectively, and his Parrrlay is ridic).

I'm curious as to how other Veigar players see his viability as a difference-maker, which heroes trouble you the most, and what your overall item and runepage builds are. I love Vivi, and am just curious as to how other players feel about him.

drivec

10-09-2009

i really dont like that item build in my opinion i give you reseason why in sec.

i go
meki pendant first off to
chalice. the +40 Magic resist helps vs any other casters and is decent regen.

then sorc boots
soul stealer
zhonya ( normaly by the time i get this i have double anyones ap. hitting around 400+ ap at least)
to abyssle sceptor (increaes magic resistance 60+ which makes u that much stronger vs those nooby rizes or other ap casters. also the minus 20 mr + your magic pen runes will destoy anyone who has a decently high base mr and help vs those who are stacking it.

overal i dont really feel like the archmage is worth it. late game i never find my self outta mana especialy if i am getting last hits with my ultimate that gives 1000+ mana.

also assuming u have 2k mana thats only +40 ap but really 25%(zhonya) total or sceptor i think is overal better.

this build is also good vs other veigars since its low mana their ultimate will do less damage.

normaly the game finishes before i get to the Abyssle sceptor tho.

i would go magic pen if i could ever get the runes for it...

also dont forget late game to use brillance potions they increasee ap by a good amount and reduce cool down.

also i havnt been playing premades i uselly solo so my record doesnt really look that good(42/35/5).won like that last ten games before it started makeing me group with groups.

after a point it pairs me up with a group against groups and veigar isnt realy a carry even tho his damage is amazing. i normaly lose or win depending on the group i been paired with.

Rokudan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

10-09-2009

The main problem in your build is lack of hp. Some hp is a good thing. I highly recommend reading this awesome guide(>.>), covers a lot of the stuff you are questioning:

http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ad.php?t=14906

The addition of hp will reduce most of your problems with other champs, cause it will allow you to take a couple hits.

drivec

10-10-2009

love the guide infact the way you play in the guide is the way i play this build(because i read the guide).

but the only reason i dont get any hp because i wanna be a glass cannon.

the higher amount of burst damage i have the better i help in team fights.

i normaly go with fortify and flash as summoner spells.

Vukasa

10-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivec View Post
love the guide infact the way you play in the guide is the way i play this build(because i read the guide).

but the only reason i dont get any hp because i wanna be a glass cannon.

the higher amount of burst damage i have the better i help in team fights.

i normaly go with fortify and flash as summoner spells.
If you die your burst wont help your team out tho. You dont need to be a tank but as Roku said some hp wouldnt hurt. I think your item build would be solid if you added a health item. I agree with the archmage being overkill, and i feel you on the gettn magic pen runes... back when i thought 90 was the cap i devoted 2 hours to acquire the runes for testing.

Solenus

10-10-2009

Hey there Mordraer!

Ever since I tried your veigar strat I've been having alot of fun with it. People really dont expect the kind of ownage you can dish out at the end, and its overall great fun. Thanks again for the tips. I'll have to try doing chalice too, seeing if that keeps me in the mana as much as your build does.

Mordraer

10-11-2009

my reasoning behind no survivability items is simply because in the late game i stay on the fringes until my stun is up. when it is i stun, bomb, nuke nuke, and usually the guy dies or is really weak and out of the fight. i enjoy playing my champ with a high amount of damage and low survivability, because i feel like i am able to get away with it because of my stun. some games this backfires, but only if my team is terrible. if im on a good or decent pre-made then when i toss my stun they know to pounce, which doesn't put me in the middle of things. as for magic penetration, i think im going to start maxing my runes for that and doing AP for the rest.

Rokudan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

10-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordraer View Post
my reasoning behind no survivability items is simply because in the late game i stay on the fringes until my stun is up. when it is i stun, bomb, nuke nuke, and usually the guy dies or is really weak and out of the fight. i enjoy playing my champ with a high amount of damage and low survivability, because i feel like i am able to get away with it because of my stun. some games this backfires, but only if my team is terrible. if im on a good or decent pre-made then when i toss my stun they know to pounce, which doesn't put me in the middle of things. as for magic penetration, i think im going to start maxing my runes for that and doing AP for the rest.
This is a highly inefficient and somewhat ignorant playstyle. Firstly, it's inefficient because you can get so much more damage out with just an item like Rod of Ages. Your raw ap goes down barely, and your overall damage output goes up a ton.

Blaming your teammates completely is never good.

Mordraer

10-12-2009

highly inefficient and ignorant? it's just a playstyle. i don't have trouble with mana or with dying, so it works quite fine for me. ask anyone i play with, i am very good with veigar. some people have different playstyles than others, so to just dismiss my tendencies towards aggressive play with an aggressive item build is uncalled for. and what i meant by "terrible team" is pugs. when i play with pre-mades i don't have any issues with the team leaving me out to dry.

the purpose of this thread was to hear how other veigars play and what they think about his strengths and weaknesses, not have you barrade my or anyone's choices of play. i see veigars go all out -CD builds and mana regen builds. i think that is idiotic, but i never tell anyone that; if that's how they want to play him, then that's fine, go for it.

Patyrn

10-12-2009

Quote:
This is a highly inefficient and somewhat ignorant playstyle. Firstly, it's inefficient because you can get so much more damage out with just an item like Rod of Ages. Your raw ap goes down barely, and your overall damage output goes up a ton.

Blaming your teammates completely is never good.
Rod of Ages doesn't increase your damage over any other AP item. I'm not sure what you're trying to say about overall damage output.