Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Professional Master Yi Strategy Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Animus

08-25-2009

Whoops accidental double post.

Animus

08-25-2009

Quote:
Cefx the Mighty:
Why is this called "professional"? Reads more like a pubstomp build, and judging by your screenshot it confirms that to me. Also, it's like you're building him as a carry and he doesn't have to be built as a carry at all.

I disagree with almost every item, rune and mastery choices in this guide. I think that those are pretty cookie-cutter choices for any DPS character, and not actually the best fit for Master Yi. [It works, don't get me wrong, but it's cookie-cutter for any DPS, not for Master Yi.]

Items:
-Phil Stone is trash and useless on Yi. The resale value of all gp5 items was nerfed; the regen is pointless.
-You don't need I.E. or Phantom Dancer, as both your attack speed and damage is very high as is.
-Greaves and Starks Fervor I agree with, but Starks Fervor should be the final purchase, and the final purchase should always vary with the team makeup of your enemies.

The following selections hinge on having either the 3% move speed mastery or 4.5% movespeed quint runes:

Strong Item selection for Yi:
Health Crystal -> Boots 1 -> Long Sword -> Phage Recipe -> Greaves
Dagger -> Health Crystal -> Long Sword -> Phage Recipe [until it gets nerfed, stacking Phages is by far the most effective early/mid game build on any DPS that uses his/her autoattacks]
Sell the dagger and buy a Recurve Bow mid or late game -> Build Wit's End or Last Whisper depending on the opposing team makeup.
Starks Fervor or more survivability depending on the enemy team makeup.

Premise: Something like a giant's belt or double Phage lends you GREAT survivability, and it drastically increases the amount that the team has to focus you, otherwise you chop through them.

Runes:
-Aim for 20 armor penetration. This is VERY important.
-Try to get approximately 8-10% cooldown reduction
-Get yourself about ~100 mana extra if you can.
-alternatively, instead of cooldown reduction, get armor or magic resist, depending on what kills you more [casters or melee]

Skill build
Max Wuju Style first, ALWAYS. I can't believe you don't stress this enough. Wuju Style is a HUGE part of Yi's killing power and tower killing awesomeness. Cycle leveling Meditate/Alpha Strike as you please.

Jungling
By about Level 5 ish, you should be able to solo the Lizard for the lizard buff. By the time they nerf double Phage, this will be crucial to stack snares, until they fix snare stacking. Nobody should get away from you unless they're already at Tower/Turret range, and in that case, you're crazy like me anyways.

Ganking and farming should be at your discretion, but use your head and think about situations before you jump into them.

I'll add more/edit more as I think of it - but basically, this is how Yi is played in high level games.

Tried this build and it went pretty great. It was 4v4, one on each team dc'd. It's hard to make out their team, but their best was Ashe (19 kills 10 deaths), Nunu, Sevir, and Widowmaker.

And btw, why do people pick Twisted Fate (I've yet to try him), he seems terrible. There's been atleast 3-4 games that a player picked him and ended up like the one on my team.

(btw I'm lazy and I just saved the print screen in paint and left the white borders in lawl)

Anansi

Adjudicator

08-25-2009

Sorry to say, but I think at least their Sivir was sub-optimal. The item build is not what it should be, like, at all for Sivir to make the difference she's supposed to make in that kind of game.

For the same amount of gold, I would ditch everything (Frozen heart is good, just not against your team), and would go for infinity's edge, berzerker's boots, and stark's fervor. Keep the chalice.

And then your towers would have melted away, provided that she was good enough to always keep on the move and never meet your Jacked-up Yi

Sorry for the off-topic,

A.

cwatz

Adjudicator

08-25-2009

0/16/1 morgana with DOUBLE madreds razor and a starks. Holy shit that is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

Drachonis

08-25-2009

I found the guide to be extremely helpful. More info would be awesome but thank you for posting at all!!

DentMan06

08-28-2009

I found the guide to be very informative and thoughtful. I think that "Bare-Bones" is a bit harsh. Length should not determine the effectiveness or quality of a guide.

Additionally, who cares if it is bare bones? No one is obligated to contribute anything at all. If one is to criticize a guide, critique the issues with the guide, not how long it is.

Lastly, the screenshot is fair. It's like a preliminary ad saying the guide has potential to work. Were a player to post a guide that has a screenshot of him going 2kills/15deaths I'm sure you'd prejudge based on that alone... like "who the hell is this noob to give me ANY kind of advice?"

Again, focus on the effectiveness of the guide, not how long it may be.

Phyrose

Recruiter

08-28-2009

this hero needs a lifesteal item, so when u enter the fight u dont die

Tarion

08-29-2009

I'm rather new to the game (3rd or 4th day, as it is) and I have to say: thanks for the various guides guys. Particularly Cefx the Mighty. Following that exactly gave me an incredible game straight after, going for a ridiculous number of kills.

What I've been playing recently has been:
Focus on Wuju Style when available, then Alpha Strike, then Meditation (Picking up Highlander whenever it is available).

Items:
Longsword as my starting item, upgraded to a Phage asap.
Vampiric Scepter
Greaves
Zeal -> Phantom Dancer
Bloodthirster
Then, if the games not over, I work towards Infinity Edge

I tend to use Teleport and Ghost for my spells, using Teleport to get back after dodging back to base, and Ghost for chasing/fleeing, obviously.

My only issue is that I feel very vulnerable in the early game. Once I get to around Phantom Dancer/Bloodthirster, I go absolutely crazy. Winning from 2on1 attempted ganks isn't all that uncommon. Popping Highlander/Wuju Style lets me smash more or less anyone, and the refresh from Highlander lets me do it all again once the first one goes down.

I like to have the Golem buff up - Mana seems to be the only thing holding me back if I've unleashed Highlander/Wuju once or twice.

Now, I'm a noob, so be gentle. Is there anything you can suggest?

Oh, and what are people suggesting for Yellow/Blue runes? I tend to find them less than useful for Yi.

Scase

08-29-2009

All my yellows are dodge and blues are CD reduction. I use the CD reduction ones for early game keeping alpha on low CD since its the easiest way to get money quick when you have the potential to 1 shot 4 minions instantly.

Pythux

08-30-2009

why did you take the Tutorial out? Its was great... :\