Professional Master Yi Strategy Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

flankd

The Council

08-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anx View Post
I've been playing Yi lately, following your guide, and just destroying.

Thanks bud!

EDIT: Now, this might be common sense, but I've figured out the best times (for me at least) to go to base have been when I have enough to complete the stone, then again when I have enough for the boots, and once more when I have enough for the Big Frakkin' Sword.

First time: 640g
Second time: 920g
Third time: 1850g

This tends to work out fairly well, as with using alpha strike, and then right clicking immediately after to land as many last hits as i can, i typically end up with just enough to complete the stone as i run out of mana.
Well there we go! Some positive feedback! Yeah I wait to town when I have roughly enough gold to buy Stone/Boots combined.... I try and draw it as long as possible... i'm actually trying to make a slightly different rune spec item build like one of the above guys tried suggesting phage into the frozen mallet instead of exhaust... i'll give some feedback on that in a bit though.

Raunchyrobs

08-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by trutH View Post
Phage is a very good item and can be combined later. You will have absolutely no problems catching any hero (removes the need for exhaust) if you have a Phage.
I think I might try a build with a Phage sometime... especially with stacking haste, getting a snare proc on the enemy shouldn't be an issue.

Almitt

Adjudicator

08-18-2009

arent posting pics on the game a violation on the NDA....

or is imagedump part of beta rester community *hinthint*

jinsho

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2009

i was playin a game wit some friends and one of my friends used boost and the enemy used exhaust. it still went thru whether exhaust was cast before or after boost. is this a bug or is it as intended?

Raunchyrobs

08-18-2009

As far as i know, it only removes the debuff, it doesn't prevent it... i'm pretty sure you can still be snared after you cast it.

flankd

The Council

08-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anx View Post
As far as i know, it only removes the debuff, it doesn't prevent it... i'm pretty sure you can still be snared after you cast it.
I think it breaks it. Almost positive

BlitzPT

08-21-2009

I have used ur guide pretty insane thx dude

jerzy

08-21-2009

You mention that Yi needs as much gold as possible early game, yet your mastery tree skips passive 1g/10seconds. I'm somewhat curious about this.

I don't mean to sound critical and I do appreciate the time that you've spent on your guide, but based on your screen shot with your items, that looks like a really long game. Honestly the only time I've managed to get that decked out with a carry hero like that was in a 50 or 60 min game, which is somewhat counter to the game mechanics.

LoL seems to be designed for shorter fast paced games. Games that last 30-40 minutes. With that in mind, what kind of item build could one expect, as that screen shot is not a realistic portrayal of an "average" game.

You seem to like to turtle, and that's fine. But what happens if you can't turtle? How would you deal with an early push? Early deaths? Any advice on either? What would you do if you're in a lane with another good farming hero? What would you do if you where gonna solo, wheren't gonna solo?

flankd

The Council

08-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzy View Post
You mention that Yi needs as much gold as possible early game, yet your mastery tree skips passive 1g/10seconds. I'm somewhat curious about this.

I don't mean to sound critical and I do appreciate the time that you've spent on your guide, but based on your screen shot with your items, that looks like a really long game. Honestly the only time I've managed to get that decked out with a carry hero like that was in a 50 or 60 min game, which is somewhat counter to the game mechanics.

LoL seems to be designed for shorter fast paced games. Games that last 30-40 minutes. With that in mind, what kind of item build could one expect, as that screen shot is not a realistic portrayal of an "average" game.

You seem to like to turtle, and that's fine. But what happens if you can't turtle? How would you deal with an early push? Early deaths? Any advice on either? What would you do if you're in a lane with another good farming hero? What would you do if you where gonna solo, wheren't gonna solo?
Yeah, some games last a while but its generally when your team is uncoordinated in a pub or something... honestly though I think i'm going to rewrite this guide sometime, especially because of the recent patch..

But generally... if you you're getting pushed hard its up to your team, you can either go back and harass (which is really risky because sometimes you just die instantly in a stun) or if your team is comfortable using a tower as an advantage and can hold it... you can generally solo push a lane.. which makes them blue pill and defend and ultimately relieves your team and it goes back to normal hopefully...

master yi is also a better melee farmer than some other heroes so if you HAVE to solo, its generally not to bad... just save your mana to alpha strike once the enemy creeps push your tower.

either way, ill try and write a better guide later...

Voygirl

08-24-2009

Why is this called "professional"? Reads more like a pubstomp build, and judging by your screenshot it confirms that to me. Also, it's like you're building him as a carry and he doesn't have to be built as a carry at all.

I disagree with almost every item, rune and mastery choices in this guide. I think that those are pretty cookie-cutter choices for any DPS character, and not actually the best fit for Master Yi. [It works, don't get me wrong, but it's cookie-cutter for any DPS, not for Master Yi.]

Items:
-Phil Stone is trash and useless on Yi. The resale value of all gp5 items was nerfed; the regen is pointless.
-You don't need I.E. or Phantom Dancer, as both your attack speed and damage is very high as is.
-Greaves and Starks Fervor I agree with, but Starks Fervor should be the final purchase, and the final purchase should always vary with the team makeup of your enemies.

The following selections hinge on having either the 3% move speed mastery or 4.5% movespeed quint runes:

Strong Item selection for Yi:
Health Crystal -> Boots 1 -> Long Sword -> Phage Recipe -> Greaves
Dagger -> Health Crystal -> Long Sword -> Phage Recipe [until it gets nerfed, stacking Phages is by far the most effective early/mid game build on any DPS that uses his/her autoattacks]
Sell the dagger and buy a Recurve Bow mid or late game -> Build Wit's End or Last Whisper depending on the opposing team makeup.
Starks Fervor or more survivability depending on the enemy team makeup.

Premise: Something like a giant's belt or double Phage lends you GREAT survivability, and it drastically increases the amount that the team has to focus you, otherwise you chop through them.

Runes:
-Aim for 20 armor penetration. This is VERY important.
-Try to get approximately 8-10% cooldown reduction
-Get yourself about ~100 mana extra if you can.
-alternatively, instead of cooldown reduction, get armor or magic resist, depending on what kills you more [casters or melee]

Skill build
Max Wuju Style first, ALWAYS. I can't believe you don't stress this enough. Wuju Style is a HUGE part of Yi's killing power and tower killing awesomeness. Cycle leveling Meditate/Alpha Strike as you please.

Jungling
By about Level 5 ish, you should be able to solo the Lizard for the lizard buff. By the time they nerf double Phage, this will be crucial to stack snares, until they fix snare stacking. Nobody should get away from you unless they're already at Tower/Turret range, and in that case, you're crazy like me anyways.

Ganking and farming should be at your discretion, but use your head and think about situations before you jump into them.

I'll add more/edit more as I think of it - but basically, this is how Yi is played in high level games.