Professional Master Yi Strategy Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Satsujinken

08-17-2009

Thats a good guide you have there but I dont like using secondary runes so I just shove up some primary I think are good to what Im going to do. But well thats me, I play for fun and wining is a consequence to me. Im more of a casual player ;] I see you have the same opinion of Master Yi as me, killing fast is better than worring about life xD I dont bother with health items with the exception of Guardian Angel or Banshee's Veil with him and thats only on the bottom of my priority list xD Thanks for the guide, I love Yi xD

Yipperpants

08-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by flankd View Post
Either way, I guess I didn't explain too much about actual combat because that's something you learn about the more you play, no matter what champion you pick. I mean, during Yi's ultimate I always choose other relatively low HP champions Ashe, Teemo, Lich, Ryze, Other Yi's, Jax etc.
As I understand it, the purpose guides serve are to explain how "actual combat" feels with the character and how to improve in that aspect. Everything else is more of a cushion to maximize your ease in playing.

Please don't get me wrong, it's a pretty handy reference and presents your viewpoints on several things well. Would I read this to know where to start a game (runes/masteries/items) from? Probably. But would I read this to learn or improve my Master Yi game? Probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flankd View Post
Yeah I'll finish it up later, I work graveyard shift and I need to go to bed... I didn't think i'd get so much criticism on how unfinished the guide is, sorry about that.
I'll look forward to it.

Jpeg

08-17-2009

informative guide but not very elaborate. i'm sure you have lots of information about his but it seems like you need some structure. i'd suggest reading:

http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ead.php?t=2803 to help you get your ideas on paper.

thanks for the guide, yi is one of those underplayed characters i've been wanting to give a try.

shedim

08-17-2009

Hey m8,

nice guide so far, very detailed. Maybe I'll give Yi a try tomorrow. Flankd is the best Yi I've seen so far and in the game, where he posted the screenshot, he completely steamrolled our entire team in the end. At least I'm glad, I was responsible for your 1 death

Well guys, this guide is for people, who already are familiar with the game (or who played DotA before etc) and who know at least most of the heroes and their strenghts and weaknesses. Since this is mandatory anyway (in case you want to melt faces), you need to have a look at you hero's strenghts and weaknesses. Then it's rather plain to see, how you should play that hero. Yi is rather vulnerable to crowd control and not such a threat at early and mid game, but he will steamroll most foes in endgame situations when he gets geared up (and has his nasty nasty badass ulti ready). If you require some certain tactics, it's best to watch skilled players (just oppose them). Play against flankd => Watch and learn!

Personally, I think the most important part of a guide is the item build, the mastery tree and which runes suit the hero best, and this guide is very detailed and solid. With this knowledge, I guarantee you will start getting better after a few games.

Frozt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

08-17-2009

Looking forward to this guide, seems interesting if you could propose a way to play Master Yi in a somewhat competitive atmosphere. Anyway, you should probably label your thread as a Work In Progress so people know that it's not finished.

Lotux

08-17-2009

tried it worked well but the other team had alot of stunners and stuff so i couldnt do to much ^^

flankd

The Council

08-17-2009

Updated, a little bit.

Holy Moze

08-18-2009

Yi's HP is ********, yes, with all items you recommend he can do good dmg, but normally you are 1-2-shotted by anyone. And any ranged hero will prevent you from gaining gold to buy all those items.... Atm Yi is "phew" hero - you never afraind of him and only smile when you see him opposing you. Fragile as ********, low dmg until expensive items, no stun/slow...needs strong buff

trutH

08-18-2009

You might want to take down those screenshots, post them directly to the forum. I believe putting those pictures up might be breaking the NDA?

Not a bad guide, I go health regen runes for early survivability. I would also like to throw out that a Phage is a very good item and can be combined later. You will have absolutely no problems catching any hero (removes the need for exhaust) if you have a Phage.

Anx

08-18-2009

I've been playing Yi lately, following your guide, and just destroying.

Thanks bud!

EDIT: Now, this might be common sense, but I've figured out the best times (for me at least) to go to base have been when I have enough to complete the stone, then again when I have enough for the boots, and once more when I have enough for the Big Frakkin' Sword.

First time: 640g
Second time: 920g
Third time: 1850g

This tends to work out fairly well, as with using alpha strike, and then right clicking immediately after to land as many last hits as i can, i typically end up with just enough to complete the stone as i run out of mana.

I've also found that making sure that you have rank 1 meditate before you go jungling, and then burning your ult on the mana regen golem makes it so you rarely ever have to return to base outside of buying.