Explain why Tiamat is Bad!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anhi

01-25-2010

If tiamat hit all nearby champions when you targetd champions and hit all nearby creeps when you hit creeps it would be a lot more useful.

The problem is anything that makes the physical carries in this game do their job better is generally considered OP. The game is trying to maintain its current pace of game and a buff on tiamat to make it actually effective would be too good in a lot of champions hands.

And so it remains, one of those often suggested items, with little usefulness in its current form.

And like other people say, altho its good on twitch in some situations, don't be scared to sell it and get better stuff. You shouldn't finish the game with it.

WasabiCannon

01-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviant View Post
Tiamat is useful, and with a character like Twitch, if they are close enough, yes it can cause a nice amount of additional damage. However, IMO it is best used for characters like Alistar who have an exceptionally hard time farming, or for the characters that rely on farming more than they rely on getting kills.

I never have a problem with gold with my alistar tbh.

PhoenixLark

01-25-2010

I've found it to be somewhat useful as a teemo player. After I get starks fervor and boots the rest of the items are "custom fit" to the opposing team. The only justification on him is if a shaco player that is avoiding your shrooms and is being dominating.

Chingmeister

01-26-2010

Tiamats splash your autoattack damage. So basically it multiplies the effect of skills that already provide damage or attack speed.

This makes it far more powerful on Sion, Janna, Shaco, or twitch then other dps. This can be further enhanced with a full page of attack speed runes.

Most people just don't understand how to use them effectively. You can take a character with built in damage, attack speed, and lifestealing like Sion and add boots, four tiamats, and a frozen mallet and just walk through an enemy team.

Or you can take a character like Shaco and add four tiamats and deceive a minion standing next to an enemy...200% splash damage instakill. If you haven't gotten triple kills on these heroes this is how you do it.

The idea is that it gives you hp drip to lane, and mana drip to use abilities as needed. It also gives stupid high aoe burst to characters who normally have none.

It also allows you to destroy melee with ranged characters in laning since the splash damage doesn't trigger mobs to attack you.

SsapS

01-26-2010

I'm in the same boat as many. Currently I have been playing Shaco, I never thought of buying Timat it seemed a waste. I read the shaco guide on the recent threads suggesting getting it, so I figured what the hell.

5 minutes into the game I usually already have a couple killing blows and ~ 25 minion kills and can already buy Tiamat. I usually end up purchasing the lifesteal item leading up to bloodthirster and it allows me to jungle very quickly and also assist in my assigned lane.

I concur that it is NOT a good end game item, but rarely do I Play a game where I need to have that item slot before the game is over, and it allows me to farm minions with ease and with the jungling aspect. With golem and lizard buffs in addition to the lifesteal and mana/life regen from tiamat, I am getitng a lot of experience and allowing another player to solo a lane, so we usually have 3 players 2 or 3 levels above the other team.

I have been critized for getting Tiamat but it is usually from someone who has less kills and more deaths then me.

Like stated over and over again, there are different ways to gear your characters, and reading the forums and going for items other people say are the best is just not realistic. You need to try all options, and play your character the best way it suits you.

To clarify, from a Shaco/twitch point of view. It is a extremely cheap investment that I get my money returned ten times over by the end of the game. I normally have more minion kills then Heimer hugging mid with turrets, and get Bloodthirster before level 8 and already start racking up minion kills increasing my attack damage by a good amount, while being able to team battle then creep to regain my health never having to leave the battlefield except to shop. I usually have infinity edge by level 11, and start 1-2 hitting everyone on the map because I am 2-3 levels above them with good items.

Of course theres other ways to play, I have seen other Shaco/twitch players go for attack damage early and already have 5-6 killing blows/assists before level 6.

Melonyan

01-26-2010

The splash range is so tiny that enemy heroes have to be holding hands for you to splash them. All they have to do to counter your tiamat is to move 1px in any direction. If the enemy is standing so close together they're going to get raped by any aoe on your team anyway.

It relies on your enemies to have extremely bad positioning, and if they don't then you spent over 2k on an item that gives you less damage then a BF sword.

Oh and the twitch arguement is bull too. If they're standing so close together that tiamat is splashing them then your spray and pray is going to own them all regardless of what you bought. Whereas if they're moving apart (like they should be) then another item is better.

IMO tiamat should at least be buffed to have a bit more damage, having less than a BF sword is just bull.

EroticBadass

01-26-2010

I've also noticed that the range on the splash is way to small to use it for attacking champs. Even when used for farming it only hits a small group of ranged minions or some of the melee minions that are boxed together.

I tried it on trist as a beginner item because I wanted to try something else besides lifesteal and I think it would be very effective if they increase the range on the splash and also increase the damage like Melonyan said

jabbanobacca

01-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by notliam View Post
I read some guide / thread recently suggesting tiamat for Shaco. It makes sense, gives an attack boost and hp and mana regen, and getting splash damage on a backstab crits (from deceive) seems like a great boost. I definitely want to try it.

my roomate plays shaco and always gets tiamat. it works pretty good for him.

ichi the killer

01-26-2010

The reason why tiamat is bad on Twitch is that his dmg output relies on atk speed more than splashing dmg. And FYI, for the price of a Tiamat (2270g), you'll get better dmg increase with Malady or last whisper for less gold.

Hewn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichi the killer View Post
The reason why tiamat is bad on Twitch is that his dmg output relies on atk speed more than splashing dmg. And FYI, for the price of a Tiamat (2270g), you'll get better dmg increase with Malady or last whisper for less gold.

Learn to play twitch.
Stack crit/damage and crit damage runes. Your attack speed comes from ambush and spray and pray.