Is Gangplank Bad Luck?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RoflTroll

02-15-2011

The problem I see with most GP is they build pure DPS and thinks they're Tryn or something and rush in to kill people, only to get explode.

The last time I saw a GP that actually works as a carry, he just build Warmog + Atma (he did mention his plan early on)

Eventually he was so tanky that he could just chase Soraka into 1 v 3 fight, kill her, kill another guy, then escape without dying.

Cenerae

02-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatsBlood View Post
I see what you're saying. I consider Morgana support DPS as well. But she has two stuns, a shield and an AOE area denial. GP has his ult and a not much else that's too support like by comparison.

Following that line of thinking, is the reason my teams keep losing when I play him that I'm short changing them by playing as him?
It depends on whether you're expected to be the carry or not. As a supporting DPS, he's okay. Sure he doesn't have the same team utility Morgana brings, but he can pull his weight if done correctly.

But if your team expects you to be carrying the game, you may have a problem. You end up with an awesome autoattack if you're using the typical critplank build, but you'll be using it as additional burst rather than sustained DPS most of the time. Carries need to have some kind of sustained damage output, and Plank's not sturdy enough to be doing that. And if you do build him with some kind of tanky dps build in mind, you won't be as strong as a real tanky dpser would be with the same items. You have no steroid or any kind of hard CC, which other melee DPS have at least one of.

There's at least one high ranked Gangplank main, if you're curious. Feel no Fear is 1781 rated currently, and has the vast majority of his games played as Gangplank.

Artemis66X

02-15-2011

He is not cursed, anyone can have a bad string of matches.

His Q is great throughout the entire game provided you have the arm. pen to back it up (unless the squishies are dumb and get no armour) and it's also great to crit someone for 1/2 their hp in the first 2 minutes

Early game, you only hit people with autoattack when they are a)right under your tower, b)already in your face, c)dr. mundo when he is about to ult d) you are jumping on them from the bushes to gank (also falls under b: in your face)

Late game, i usually have at 1or 2 phantom dancers, which lets you fly around the map at over 500movespeed, to close with anyone and hit them so fast (and critting over 80% of the time) cut any healing they have in 1/2 (letting you out lifesteal most people with just 1 lifesteal item), and the DoT is just icing on the cake

Gangplank is a carry lategame, but until then he ganks/harrases and Global support with barrage

Sykomyke

02-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
The problem is you're thinking of Gangplank as a carry - he's not. Despite what you might think, he simply can't put out consistent damage like other carries. He's too fragile, has no gap closer, and no way to stick on his target like other melee DPS do. What he does have is good movement speed and a spammable, hard-hitting poke (Parrrley). Early game he has a global ultimate to help ganks suceed, and he can deny exp and gold from his opponents.

So what we learn from this is that Gangplank is support DPS. Similar to Teemo in that you don't pick him for his damage output, but his utility. Since it's more common that you'll avoid autoattacking in teamfights in favor of staying at range to Q spam (to avoid dying), while using your deny to buff your team, I think that proves the point. Plank's job is to soften up the enemy or to burst down squishies while his ultimate helps slow the enemy team down as your team pounds on them.

Obviously, his use as a support DPS is questionable when you pair him against many other support DPSers out there, and this is why he's not really thought of as a strong pick for ranked play. Not that he's a useless champion, but I hope you see what I'm trying to get at.
Well said, but then it comes to the rather obvious point of that he is used for nothing more then the Raise Morale buff and Cannon Barrage in end-game.

Morinav

02-15-2011

He's a bad champion, sadly. It's hard for him to contribute much to a team. He lacks the tools to succeed in melee, he's a nuker with one nuke that's easily itemized against, his ult is extremely inconsistent and his team utility is both low and situation.

Prometheius

02-15-2011

IF you want to Deny enemies, why not just playing a good zoning champ? Sion and Xin both let you deny enemies while doing more damage and generally being more useful, as long as your partner knows how to last-hit and not push like an idiot.

Cenerae

02-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheius View Post
IF you want to Deny enemies, why not just playing a good zoning champ? Sion and Xin both let you deny enemies while doing more damage and generally being more useful, as long as your partner knows how to last-hit and not push like an idiot.
Typically, you'd want to give Gangplank one of the 2 solo lanes (talking ranked play here of course), wherein he can hamper the enemy carry by lowering how much gold and xp they can get. Since you won't be pushing the lane, it means you spend most of the time at your tower. This makes it awkward for his opponent to lasthit properly too, in addition to losing out on every cannon minion that spawns.

So you starve them of exp and gold with relative safety from being ganked, and are difficult to harrass since you're tower hugging.

The downside to this is Gangplank tends to lose his tower early doing this. But then he can keep denying and farming at the 2nd tower, while being completely safe, and putting the enemy team down to 2 lanes they can farm rather than 3.

Zoning is good, but properly done, denying can totally ruin an enemy solo's early game, and without even needing to go to the trouble of trying to zone or gank them.

Larson McMurphy

02-15-2011

1. Take teleport.
2. Go to solo lane
3. deny deny deny
4. hit level 6 before your opponent
5. recall buy sheen
6. teleport back
7. ult
8. kill
9. ????
10. profit

In all seriousness though gangplank is far from useless. Depends on your team. Denying is very powerful early game and can allow your team to get the upper hand early (if they're willing to help push against your underleveled opponents and get an early tower). He doesn't have to wait until late game to be powerful if you use sheen/trinity force and armor penetration (youmuu's).

Also, the argument that his nuke is easy to itemize against is nonsense. Any single champ is easy to itemize against. If you're on a balanced team it will be hard for them to itemize against everyone. If your not on a balanced team, you're not losing because you chose gangplank, your losing because you're on an unbalanced team.

Anyway, late game, if your having trouble carrying, buy survivability. If you're running around two-shotting people, but have no health left to safely push after most of their team is dead and your team is too incompetent to do so, you will lose. Just buy a warmog's or something so you can actually push towers after team fights.

gallantgreg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2011

Prepare to fail if you try to build GP into a lategame carry.

Almost every other non-tanky melee champ has better auto-attack steroids than him.
Eve for example...