Questionable League Intentions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frank the Golem

02-14-2011

Am I the only one seeing a slow-growing trend of League Judgments and character bios that paint the summoners themselves in a worsening light?

Let me 'splain. I get the feeling that with several champions, the League is coercing or even deceiving them for its own ends, be those honorable, mischievous or downright evil.

From Maokai's Judgment

Quote:
“Or will you continue to stand, impassively, believing that you can affect none of this?”
Her accusatory tone snapped him from his momentary hesitation.
The summoner's eyes darkened. It was not the response the League wanted, but it was the only one they were going to get.
The summoner then gets the "okay, for now" out of Maokai and leaves immediately.

From Cho'Gath's lore
Quote:
Fortunately, the power of the League's summoning has confined Cho'Gath's presence exclusively to the League of Legends.
Woe betide the day when Cho'Gath grows weary of the League.
So they're keeping him and using him rather than imprisoning him.

From Ezreal's lore
Quote:
Without warning, Ezreal may find himself acting as a champion for, as he puts it, "a summoner hell-bent on resolving some irrelevant world-shattering League conflict." Still, Ezreal feels being summoned into a Field of Justice on occasion is a small price to pay.
It's still "a price to pay", so it's not his favorite thing, but they keep yanking him into their conflicts anyway.

From Fiddlesticks's lore
Quote:
Seeing no recourse to reclaim the chamber, the Council instead devised a use for Fiddlesticks: executioner.
They lock him away, but rather than just leaving him there they use him as a tool, explicitly for execution.

From Malphite's lore
Quote:
Then one day the dimensional rift opened and he was summoned across the cosmos to the world of Runeterra. At first outraged to be taken from the Monolith, Malphite quickly learned of this world's disharmony.
Yeah, he fights for balance and purpose now, but he started involuntarily from summoning rituals.

From Olaf's lore
Quote:
A bargain was struck. Olaf would use his awesome prowess as a warrior to serve the unusual wars of Valoran in the League of Legends, and in exchange the sorcerers would find him a way to return. Despite his participation in the League, Olaf knows better than to trust the ''finger wagglers'' that run the Institute of War. He deliberately keeps details of his life and home from them. After all, with enough information, they would most certainly find the Lokfarians and dominate them as they have dominated all of Valoran, keeping both quietly -- and unwittingly -- in their thrall.
Not even subtle here.

From Nasus's (revised) lore
Quote:
In the midst of a heated battle, just as Nasus was about to slay his treacherous brother Renekton, he was summoned to Runeterra. It didn't take much to convince him that Champions were needed to fight against the injustice here and he took up a place in the League of Legends.
Again, he fights for purpose now, but it started with him getting yanked from his home, where he no longer exists to guide and teach.

From Renekton's lore
Quote:
Caught in the wake of this powerful spell, Renekton tumbled for what seemed like ages between realities. When he finally emerged, he fell deep into the sewers of Zaun. Insane with fury, Renekton languished in his newfound home, driven senseless by his rage.
Also stolen from his home to be used as a weapon.

From Swain's Judgment
Quote:
High Councilor Kolminye locked eyes with Swain for one last time. She raised her right hand to his cheek. “We shall see, Jericho.”
High Councilor herself takes part in his Judgment and seems to use it as a time to chat briefly about the overthrow of a couple of city-states. I just felt her dismissal of his ideas felt rather blasť, like a token response.

Just thinking out loud, but is the League building up the very underhanded, political stabbings and WMD stockpiling that they claim to eschew? Yes, I understand that one purpose is to limit loss of life and destruction of landscape, but I seriously question whether or not summoning void monsters, interplanar harbingers and other extraruneterrans is the best way to accomplish those goals.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vuther

02-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Golem View Post
Just thinking out loud, but is the League building up the very underhanded, political stabbings and WMD stockpiling that they claim to eschew? Yes, I understand that one purpose is to limit loss of life and destruction of landscape, but I seriously question whether or not summoning void monsters, interplanar harbingers and other extraruneterrans is the best way to accomplish those goals.
Probably!

Irony is always a delicious writing device.

Not to mention the circumstances would be very dramatic.