Is the League becoming corrupt?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RojoGenerator

Junior Member

02-14-2011

To start off, I've noticed in recent week that the League itself has been painted in sort of a bad light, mainly shown in the Champion Judgments. For instance, this one is small in comparison to my other examples, but in the Trundle judgment the League convinced Trundle that his race of Trolls are far off worse now that their curse is gone, but they never actually had proof to show Trundle that his race is actually dying out, and Trundle himself takes it face value. Plus the summoners have manipulated memories of champions during judgments, so their "proof" could just have been a manipulation on Trundle.
In the recent judgments of Renekton, Karma, and Maokai, the league being shown in a bad way has become more obvious. In the Renekton judgment, at the end it is stated "The summoners standing around the creature don't ask the standard questions. The League finally has its chosen brother." Why would the supposed peacemakers of the League world want the completely insane and overtly-violent brother, and not Nasus, who is the sane, sensible, and a powerful Guardian of his world; they also didn't even ask Renekton the usual questions.
In Karma's judgment, the League forces her to relive the horrors of the Zuanite invasion of her home country, but when they ask her how she felt exposing her mind she retorts, "There is nothing on my mind that I wouldn’t happily share with you. How does it feel, knowing what we suffered, what you chose to ignore?" showing that the League had the power to intervene, but instead chose not too. If your asking how the league could've intervened, well they could've proposed a match between Noxus and Ionia, instead of both sides having to suffer losing thousands of people. (Even though we wouldn't have gotten some pretty cool champs in return if that did happen)
In Maokai's judgment, Maokai himself blames the League for his spawning into sentient life. When the League tries to convince Maokai to work for them after exposing his mind, he refuses them, despite how convincing they are, (Maokai hesitated) and the League doesn't like this answer, showing they are used to getting their way.
Last but not least, why do all the judgments involve making the champions relive all their worse memories, it makes for a good reading, but how does it really count as a "judgment" seeing as they have accepted every single champ who's been judged into their League. Urf the Manatee technically wasn't judged.
In conclusion, does the League have highly secret, ulterior motives behind all of their actions? Because, it seems they are getting more and more corrupt as time goes on, and is getting more powerful with each new addition to the league.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SethCypher

Senior Member

02-14-2011

You have something wrong there, the League aren't peacemakers. They are doing something right yes, but they are by no means peacemakers. They are in fact promoting violence by holding the Fields of Justice as a grand spectacles, all the while minimizing the damage done to environments.

Also, the League cannot be corrupt. Reason? The League's original intention is to dissuade large scale warfare through small battles. In return, the winners are given influence. What does this mean? The original goals of the League were not pure and goody to begin with, they were merely doing what was neccessary to prolong their world's survival. Also, the League was also probably founded and houses the aforementioned corrupt indivduals.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Silverling

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-14-2011

Actually, if you think about it...

The League recruiting the crazies and letting them duke it out in basically a big an arena probably keeps them from causing more harm to the various city states...


Doesn't mean everything's all happy and perfect though... Every rose has its thorns after all.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vuther

Senior Member

02-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverling View Post
Actually, if you think about it...

The League recruiting the crazies and letting them duke it out in basically a big an arena probably keeps them from causing more harm to the various city states...


Doesn't mean everything's all happy and perfect though... Every rose has its thorns after all.
I know, it's brilliance!

That second part is true, the writers probably want to inject a bit of grey into an organization which is otherwise a fount of world peace.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Methelod

Senior Member

02-14-2011

Similar to how they portray demacia and noxus.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cryypter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethCypher View Post
You have something wrong there, the League aren't peacemakers. They are doing something right yes, but they are by no means peacemakers. They are in fact promoting violence by holding the Fields of Justice as a grand spectacles, all the while minimizing the damage done to environments.

Also, the League cannot be corrupt. Reason? The League's original intention is to dissuade large scale warfare through small battles. In return, the winners are given influence. What does this mean? The original goals of the League were not pure and goody to begin with, they were merely doing what was neccessary to prolong their world's survival. Also, the League was also probably founded and houses the aforementioned corrupt indivduals.
These two paragraphs are contradictory. If the League's original intent was to dissuade warfare, would that not make them peacekeepers? No one dies on the Fields if Justice. Or is even injured once the match has concluded. Would that not make sports like football more "violent" than League battles?

Also, how does this mean the League's intentions were not good? What does the League gain? Individuals may gain influence within the League, but what does the League as a whole gain from others?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SethCypher

Senior Member

02-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryypter View Post
These two paragraphs are contradictory. If the League's original intent was to dissuade warfare, would that not make them peacekeepers? No one dies on the Fields if Justice. Or is even injured once the match has concluded. Would that not make sports like football more "violent" than League battles?
No it does not make them peacekeepers. They are not going to Noxus and Demacia and demanding they lower all weapons. They are not going to each city-state and snuffing out criminals. You still have cities bashing each other. Whenever this happens the League just goes "Oh ho! Come on down to our FABULOUS arena to see who's right who's wrong!" This makes them overseers and regulators of the wars we fight with eachother. If we were to launch large scale wars with merely spears and swords then I highly doubt they'd have needed to intervene then.

Quote:
Also, how does this mean the League's intentions were not good? What does the League gain? Individuals may gain influence within the League, but what does the League as a whole gain from others?
I never said they're intentions weren't good, they are trying to prevent the destruction of Runeterra. That is good intentioned. However, they aren't exactly bringers of justice either. Simply put, they were neither good nor evil, they are simply there to make sure our battles don't rip Runeterra apart. They still allow for corruption and evildoers to run rampantly around.

So to answer everything, their main goal is to prevent Runeterra from destroying itself. The League was and is still composed of mages who want this to go away.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Burt Jackson

Senior Member

02-14-2011

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Those in power seldom like to relinquish it.

When you have a global organization that has the authority to intervene in the affairs of sovereign nations if an when it pleases, you abolish the very thing that makes those nations sovereign in the first place; the right to determine your own destiny. Demacia, Zaun, Piltover, the Freljord; they're nothing more than puppet governments at this point. They're a pack of dogs all chained to the same post.

Not only is the League a blanket government entity, but they're also a government-sanctioned multinational corporation that answers to nobody. League matches were initially conceived as an alternative to political bickering to push policy through or mitigate interstate conflict. Now they're just as much about profit with they way they have monetized these political duels into sporting events.

The kicker in the entire situation is that the League only has as much power as people let them have, and together with the fact that the organization is made up of people from diverse cultural and national backgrounds is the only form of checks and balances the league has. Demacia and Noxus could just as easily decide they no longer want external influences deciding their policy, and pull out of the League.

The League's existence depends on the tactic of Divide and Conquer. As long as nationalism keeps portions of the population idealistically separated from others in the populous, they will want the League in place to serve their interests and protect them from those idealistically different than them; a job that was formerly entrusted to their respective city state. This is why Demacia and Noxus are still allowed to exist; they represent fundamental ideological differences which people still uphold, and as long as they remain, the population will have a hard time joining together.

This is a double-edged sword, however. The League itself is composed mostly of individuals with the same political and ideological separation as the population that they serve. As long as people within the League itself remain fighting their political battles, it will be very hard for the League itself to assume total control over the puppet governments which they govern. Demacians within the League would not allow Noxians within the League to take control, and vice versa. If members of the League were to come to a consensus and set aside their differences in the name of power and profit, however, it would be difficult to remove them or remedy the situation as long as the majority of the public is not given reason to.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cryypter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethCypher View Post
No it does not make them peacekeepers. They are not going to Noxus and Demacia and demanding they lower all weapons. They are not going to each city-state and snuffing out criminals. You still have cities bashing each other. Whenever this happens the League just goes "Oh ho! Come on down to our FABULOUS arena to see who's right who's wrong!" This makes them overseers and regulators of the wars we fight with eachother. If we were to launch large scale wars with merely spears and swords then I highly doubt they'd have needed to intervene then.
So unless someone or something actively attempts to root out all forms of violence, and potential violence, they cannot be considered peacekeepers? The League prevents magical warfare. That is one aspect of peace. Would that not be enough to be considered peacekeepers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethCypher View Post
I never said they're intentions weren't good, they are trying to prevent the destruction of Runeterra. That is good intentioned. However, they aren't exactly bringers of justice either. Simply put, they were neither good nor evil, they are simply there to make sure our battles don't rip Runeterra apart. They still allow for corruption and evildoers to run rampantly around.
Again, is it necessary to, not just encourage, but actively enforce all forms of good to be considered good? You yourself said trying to prevent the destruction of Runeterra is a good intention. Does that not make them good?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SethCypher

Senior Member

02-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryypter View Post
So unless someone or something actively attempts to root out all forms of violence, and potential violence, they cannot be considered peacekeepers? The League prevents magical warfare. That is one aspect of peace. Would that not be enough to be considered peacekeepers?
Simply put, no. In such a context, I could consider both Noxus and Demacia peacekeepers as they keep each other in check from invading other city-states.

Quote:
Again, is it necessary to, not just encourage, but actively enforce all forms of good to be considered good? You yourself said trying to prevent the destruction of Runeterra is a good intention. Does that not make them good?
"Good", "Evil", "Purity", "Corruption", these terms are terribly broad and could mean alot of things. The fact that they're well intentioned does not make them pure though does it? That does not entail they are "incorruptible". Their ultimate goal is to prevent the destruction of Runeterra, whether they are corrupt or not matters very little in this goal. It is very much akin to Demacia's will to see that law and order supercedes everything no matter the cost.


12