Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How do I play Xin???

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LOLMARINE

02-12-2011

Before anyone says "xin zhao is easysauce nub huehuehue" I know xin is considered one of the easier champions to play, but I still can't seem to get a grip on him. I can play champions like TF and Shen well but not Xin for some reason. So how do you play xin?

My build
Doran's shield
Brutalizer + level 1 boots
merc treads
Ghostblade
Sword of the Divine
Randuins/Banshee's veil depending on who's dishing out the most damage on the other team
Infinity Edge
sell doran's and get bloodthirster (hypothetically, i doubt most games would ever progress this far)

Runes: Flat Hp quints, ArmPen Marks, CDR Glyphs, AS yellows (maybe switch yellows out for something else)

What am I doing wrong? Thanks

DaemonFrog

02-12-2011

OK.
No shield, start with boots and 3 hp pots.
Get berserker's boots, then rush Phantom dancers. From there, you should get a vamp scepter, and then either an infinity edge (if you're doing really well) or another phantom dancer (what i reccomend.)
And that should be game.

Samodael

02-12-2011

Here's my personal setup: 21/9/0 for a somewhat tankier build, 21/0/9 for a greed/jungle build. I normally use Exhaust/Flash, Exhaust/Ignite if I'm going straight fighter (you wouldn't believe how many kills Ignite grabs), or Ghost/Smite for the jungle.

Start with a Longsword and a hp pot
Longsword -> Brutalizer
Boots of Speed
Brutalizer -> Yommu's
Boots -> Ninja Tabi
Ruby Crystal -> Phage
Phage -> Frozen Mallet
Vampiric Scepter
B.F. Sword -> Bloodthirster
Zeal -> Phantom Dancer
Heart of Gold
Warden's Mail -> Randuin's Omen

This build with Yommu's gives you a fast and hard hitting, yet still tanky build, at least in my opinion. If you use Yommu's and W, your cooldowns will be ridiculously low and towers and champions will melt. If you find the team to be more caster-heavy, switch out Randuin's for a Force of Nature. If the team is more tanky, scrap the Phantom Dancer and build Madred's instead.

Armor Pen Marks, Armor or Crit Chance Seals (depends on if you want to be more tank or fighter), CD Reduction Glyphs, Flat Health Quints.

As always, E to initiate, R since it does more damage the more hp they currently have, use Randuin's to slow everyone down, pick out the squishiest target, Q, W, use Yommu's, spam E to keep up. If you took Exhaust, you can use it here if you'd like, but Randuin's should last long enough to keep one squishy in range. If you took Ignite, feel free to use it to secure that kill while you focus on another.

Using this build and Exhaust/Ignite, I actually once downed a decently fed Cho'Gath with relative ease, dropped his tower, then survived a gank and got my revenge.

LoveYuRi

02-12-2011

I would get a phage in there and later build it into frozen mallet.
Why this?
This will give u a lot more hp+ slow. A melee dps with not much hp is a useless one because you just get nuked or killed fast. You might get one kill but after youre gonna get killed.

Doran shield is decent but il rather go long sword +2 pot(sword turns into phage later)

Phage
Boots of swiftness or merc thread, sometimes i got beserker greave
Phage-->frozen mallet
Madred(depends on their team, if not i just go BT or Black cleaver)
Black cleaver or BT
Ghost blade

Nightdancer ND

02-12-2011

Your setup isn't bad at all, but Xin needs some practice.

For his damage output he is in exchange very squishy.
Fast in and fast out. Never go in first to a teamfight.

For me, I had better results as jungler and come to a lane as a ganker.

Cenerae

02-12-2011

Quote:
Nightdancer ND:
Your setup isn't bad at all, but Xin needs some practice.

For his damage output he is in exchange very squishy.
Fast in and fast out. Never go in first to a teamfight.

For me, I had better results as jungler and come to a lane as a ganker.

This, although Xin actually performs better in a lane than he does in the jungle (usually). Play aggressively when you have a chance to and you're lvl 2 or higher. You can charge onto a target and hit it a few times using E+Q, then walk back to safety. Most champs will be forced to back off. Then you just come back and do it again and again until they're too scared to come near you. Not that I'm saying Xin can't jungle effectively (he can, though he's a bit slow), but he has high lane presence once you get used to him.

In teamfights, don't be the first one to go in. Wait for your initiator to go in first, then charge in and try to catch as many people as possible in your ult (use your SotD active first!). Then activate ghostblade and beat up the most dangerous squishy on the enemy team. Xin makes for a great anti-carry.

A lot of it comes with practise though. Once you understand what Xin can and can't do, you'll be able to pick your fights and harrassment better. If you pick the wrong fight you'll get creamed, since Xin is surprisingly squishy and has no real escape mechanisms. But if you pick the right fights, Xin's an unstoppable powerhouse.

ComradeHX

02-12-2011

If you want to go where you please like mundo, you need tankiness.

Xin Zhao's greatness comes from his highly spammable skills due to W + high attack speed.

After Touhou Blade and maybe a BloodRazer or SotD(BR for high hp champions; SotD to pwn that annoying Jax; it is situational), perhaps even triforce(ability spam + increased damage = win; plus some more utility like slow and more crit/ms), you need all survivability items (Imo, it would be Banshee's Veil as required, and situational items depending on enemy composition, Raduins is a very good pick regardless because you can slow the enemy team when you initiate).

Carados

02-12-2011

Holy **** people:

A) Don't bother with attack speed over CDR on XZ. If I have to explain this one, you shouldn't be giving advice because you haven't actually done any consideration of his skills.

B) Don't build a **** Frozen Mallet on Xin Zhao, if you need survability, grab a Banshee's Veil or a Randuin's. If you're just in need of a massive amount of HP, grab a Warmog's. XZ doesn't need Frozen Mallet's passive, making it hilariously inefficient.,

C) Watch a Guardsman Bob stream. He'll show you the how to play better then can be described in this thread. Basically, solo, E then smash someone's face until they leave. Ranged carry mids can't do **** against you. http://www.own3d.tv/aonempatic#/watch/66516 and so on.

Nightdancer ND

02-12-2011

Quote:
Cenerae:
TNot that I'm saying Xin can't jungle effectively (he can, though he's a bit slow), but he has high lane presence once you get used to him.

He is slow until you have your Mandreds' Razor, after this, he is faster as any champ I have jungled with.

Edit: Yes. And I also go for Wriggles later.

Cenerae

02-12-2011

Quote:
Nightdancer ND:
He is slow until you have your Bloodrazor, after this, he is faster as any champ I have jungled with.

I hope by Bloodrazor you just mean the standard razor (to upgrade to Wriggles). Xin shouldn't be building a Bloodrazor. :/

And yeah, after he gets that he's not bad, but the initial jungle is pretty slow compared to most other junglers.