Need help on mages

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WashiKashi

02-12-2011

Hi im a newbie who started last week
i've got the hang of LoL, but i can't seem to get mages right
How do i play them well?

Carados

02-12-2011

Well, first thing to do is define "mage" because it has no definition in any sort of gameplay sense in League of Legends.

WashiKashi

02-12-2011

Well by Mage i mean magic users like Morgana, Annie, Ryze etc.

Peebear

02-12-2011

Basically, there are three types of mages/casters

Burst Mage: Does a lot of damage in a couple of seconds, good at killing (eg Veigar, Leblanc, Kassadin, Annie) - You want to hit with your high dmg spell and get out of there.

DPS Mage : Sustained, constant damage with short cooldowns (I'd say karthus, anivia, vladimir, maybe mordekaiser)

Support Mage: Someone not necessarily designed to kill, but to provide CC/help to team or save the carry. Usually gets a ton of assists. (Janna, Zilean, soraka, sona)

Generally mages try not to get targeted in team fights. Your job is to provide damage to the other teams' squishy people through stacking ability power/and survivability.

1) Stay behind the tank/ meelee dps or someone who can take all the damage
2) Stun/slow/bind/ drop your spells on people in order to make it easier for your teammates to kill them/ for you to kill them.
3) run away unharmed, for the most part.

I would look up guides on leaguecraft/mobafire for individual mages' builds/playstyles.

But generally you'd build mana regen, Ability Power (AP), Magic Penetration, Cooldown Reduction (CDR), and survivability items.

Doran's ring is a great start, or you could start with a sapphire crystal + 2 health pots and build it into catalyst => rod of ages for more survivability.
Also, if you are sure you won't lose the blue buff from mister blue golem, it provides a lot of mana regen and cooldown reduction.

Braains

Recruiter

02-12-2011

When playing mages with stuns (Annie, Morgana, Ryze) it's best to stun burst your spells out and then back off. Generally your auto attack is really weak and it's not worth sticking around to attack attack unless they are wicked low on life. Your job is to start fights by stunning a carry, and to stun anyone running away after a fight.

WashiKashi

02-12-2011

Thanks
I was kinda looking for how to play burst mages
When i play against them, they kill me in like 2 seconds
But when i try, i barely do any damage and am reaallyyy squishy

Peebear

02-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashiKashi View Post
Thanks
I was kinda looking for how to play burst mages
When i play against them, they kill me in like 2 seconds
But when i try, i barely do any damage and am reaallyyy squishy
Leblanc is a great burst mage at early-mid game( 6-10) or so.

You want to run in and take down 1/2 of their health with a Q R W E W combo

Especially against other mages because they are silenced, they can't cast anything.

You probably want to stack AP, not mana regen too much as a burst mage - you should take last hits to farm up your mpen/cdr boots then your rod of ages/archangel staff (if you can get away quickly), then take a rabbadon's hat (then a deathfire grasp if you are facing a lot of tanky people.)

You have to adapt your item build/play style for the opponents you are playing -- you can't burst down a cho'gath or a tank as easy as a 1000 hp teemo.

Also, always be sure to get a little survivability through either a rod of ages, rylai's crystal scepter or some other health item in case you do get focused.

WashiKashi

02-12-2011

Thanks

You're a big help