[Proposed Rune Combiner Overhaul]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tulki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2011

Preliminary Remark: This system is complicated. If you don't want to think about the system, go back to the general forum. The details of calculations are displayed here, but would be hidden from players. If you have questions or scenarios, please ask them.

The first problem that exists within the rune system is the costs. I do not intend to lower the costs here, but I do acknowledge that buying a full set for one champion archetype takes a long time and is not useful for other champions. This is where the system comes in.

The Value Problem

My solution is to turn the rune system into a "closed rune economy". What this means is that any IP you spend on runes, will forever stay invested in runes. Your collection would never diminish in value.

The Unpredictability Problem
The second issue to address is the unpredictable rune combiner. Solving this problem will also solve the problem outlined above.

For clarity, I will outline the new aspects of the rune combiner that solve the value problem in point form.

- You may now insert anywhere from 2 to 5 runes before combining.
- Once you commit to combining, the total value of the runes is calculated. The combiner then gives you the highest value rune it possibly can within the value of your combined runes. The possible runes you can get out of the combiner are shown to you before you commit.
- If there is more than one rune of the same value to be selected, the rune is chosen randomly.
- The remaining value is converted into a new currency called "Rune Shards". For every 5 IP in value remaining, you get one rune shard. These go towards your next rune purchase, kind of like a coupon (1 rune shard reduces the price of your next rune purchase by 5 IP).

- Exception 1: You cannot combine runes unless the rune you get as a product is more valuable than each individual rune that goes in the combiner. This is to prevent players from "rerolling" the highest value runes without actually upgrading them to a smaller number of more powerful runes.

- Exception 2: The combiner will never give you more runes than you can use. For standard runes, it will never give you a "tenth rune" of one stat category, and for quintessences it will never give you a fourth because this is of no use to you.

Example:
You insert four Lesser Marks of Strength (15 IP each) and one Lesser Mark of Intellect (30 IP) into the combiner. Total value is 90 IP.

The highest value rune that exists and fits that value is 80 IP. There happen to be multiple tier 1 quintessences worth 80 IP, so one is randomly selected to be given to you.

There is now 10 IP value remaining, so you gain 2 rune shards towards your next rune purchase.

This closes the value of your rune collection. Your collection will never diminish in value from combining runes - it can only shift its stats.

Now I will add some aspects which make the combiner more predictable.

- Placing only red / yellow / blue runes into the combiner will restrict the possible rune product to only red / yellow / blue (whichever colour you put in).
- This also applies to quintessences.

New Feature: Rune Forger
- This is an alternative type of combiner you can use when acquiring specific types of runes.
- To use it, you place in anywhere from 1 to 5 of the exact same rune stat and colour, and their value goes directly towards purchasing one rune of the next tier, with exactly the same stats and colour. Any more value that's needed can be filled by rune shards or IP.

The result of this revamped system is a more predictable rune combiner that ensures any IP you spend on runes is never lost (just as you never lose the value of champions you purchase).

On top of this, every possible input for the rune combiner will have a single, predictable set of possible output runes. Players will be encouraged to share "rune recipes" when building pages.

If you have questions, please ask them.

gunghorecondo

02-12-2011

no

Tulki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2011

Do you have a reason for saying no? Or did someone just ruin your day?

Feral Renegade

02-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulki View Post
Preliminary Remark: This system is complicated. If you don't want to think about the system, go back to the general forum. The details of calculations are displayed here, but would be hidden from players. If you have questions or scenarios, please ask them.

The first problem that exists within the rune system is the costs. I do not intend to lower the costs here, but I do acknowledge that buying a full set for one champion archetype takes a long time and is not useful for other champions. This is where the system comes in.

The Value Problem
My solution is to turn the rune system into a "closed rune economy". What this means is that any IP you spend on runes, will forever stay invested in runes. Your collection would never diminish in value.

The Unpredictability Problem
The second issue to address is the unpredictable rune combiner. Solving this problem will also solve the problem outlined above.

For clarity, I will outline the new aspects of the rune combiner that solve the value problem in point form.

- You may now insert anywhere from 2 to 5 runes before combining.
- Once you commit to combining, the total value of the runes is calculated. The combiner then gives you the highest value rune it possibly can within the value of your combined runes. The possible runes you can get out of the combiner are shown to you before you commit.
- If there is more than one rune of the same value to be selected, the rune is chosen randomly.
- The remaining value is converted into a new currency called "Rune Shards". For every 5 IP in value remaining, you get one rune shard. These go towards your next rune purchase, kind of like a coupon (1 rune shard reduces the price of your next rune purchase by 5 IP).

- Exception 1: You cannot combine runes unless the rune you get as a product is more valuable than each individual rune that goes in the combiner. This is to prevent players from "rerolling" the highest value runes without actually upgrading them to a smaller number of more powerful runes.

- Exception 2: The combiner will never give you more runes than you can use. For standard runes, it will never give you a "tenth rune" of one stat category, and for quintessences it will never give you a fourth because this is of no use to you.

Example:
You insert four Lesser Marks of Strength (15 IP each) and one Lesser Mark of Intellect (30 IP) into the combiner. Total value is 90 IP.

The highest value rune that exists and fits that value is 80 IP. There happen to be multiple tier 1 quintessences worth 80 IP, so one is randomly selected to be given to you.

There is now 10 IP value remaining, so you gain 2 rune shards towards your next rune purchase.

This closes the value of your rune collection. Your collection will never diminish in value from combining runes - it can only shift its stats.

Now I will add some aspects which make the combiner more predictable.

- Placing only red / yellow / blue runes into the combiner will restrict the possible rune product to only red / yellow / blue (whichever colour you put in).
- This also applies to quintessences.

New Feature: Rune Forger
- This is an alternative type of combiner you can use when acquiring specific types of runes.
- To use it, you place in anywhere from 1 to 5 of the exact same rune stat and colour, and their value goes directly towards purchasing one rune of the next tier, with exactly the same stats and colour. Any more value that's needed can be filled by rune shards or IP.

The result of this revamped system is a more predictable rune combiner that ensures any IP you spend on runes is never lost (just as you never lose the value of champions you purchase). If you have questions, please ask them.
Excellent Idea. Excellent Post. Well thought out. I am impressed.

Shadeassassin

02-12-2011

Dude thats so fkin awesome lol...! YES!!

NerdyDan

02-12-2011

i hate the combiner, i never use it. it never gives me anything i want, and combining 2 tier 3 runes for a CHANCE to get a more valuable tier 3 rune is stupid. the only time it could be worth it is if you have 5 tier 1 or 2 runes and u dont use them anymore.

NEVER use rune combiner, ever

Byakk087

02-12-2011

Glancing over the idea, it seems more like it would introduce more complexity rather then outright reduce it. Specifically by increasing the variables one has to track before and after rune combining.

Seems like a lot of coding work to do the opposite of the original intent to reduce complexity to me.

Vampire Evelynn

02-12-2011

Hell Yes! I would use this!

Tulki

02-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakk087 View Post
Glancing over the idea, it seems more like it would introduce more complexity rather then outright reduce it. Specifically by increasing the variables one has to track before and after rune combining.

Seems like a lot of coding work to do the opposite of the original intent to reduce complexity to me.
Like I said, the complexity of the code is hidden from the users. All they see is what they put in, and possible products they get out.

Feral Renegade

02-12-2011

bump for great justice.