Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Master Yi vs. Thormail... Now What?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheReaperOfSouls

02-12-2011

So i've seen alot of tank rammus and galios lately getting thornmail. Normally i can just aviod them and kill everyone else, but they taunt me... and my own rediculous dmg kills me.
This isn't just a problem with taunt, it's with all thornmail users.
I'm not complaining about it in any way just...

What now? How do I counter it?

TooStronkadonk

02-12-2011

lifesteal / MR / merc treads

SaaRoony

02-12-2011

mr+armr pen+magic damage this means buy hexdrinker and malady and madreds and wits end and last whisper..... all counters of thornmail

ps: wits end it really good b/c it takes their mana but ALSO deals extra 42 magic damage per hit

VoiceofTreason

02-12-2011

Quote:
Roony:
mr+armr pen+magic damage this means buy hexdrinker and malady and madreds and wits end and last whisper..... all counters of thornmail

ps: wits end it really good b/c it takes their mana but ALSO deals extra 42 magic damage per hit

I am sorry but there is a lot I would do before I bought a malady or hexdrinker or wits end on yi. You buying a banshees or QSS would certainly be the answer, next would be rolling cleanse with a laning yi which you should be doing anyways imo if you don't have to run smite. Another option is getting life steal as 1 vamp scepter will negate a thornmail and it is much cheaper and quicker than getting any other specific defensive or offensive item especially tier 2-3 items.

So Roony was right about MR countering but definitely wrong about the item suggestions he gave. Dealing magic damage with malady or wits end while attacking faster from the attack speed (with your previous AD items to boot) on those items will not solve the OP's problem.

Carados

02-12-2011

Right click someone else. You should have Flash/Cleanse, you're Yi.

OptimusPrimate

02-12-2011

Definitely avoid attacking the one with thornmail as much as possible. Lifesteal really is the best answer to thornmail, considering it is the cheapest item, and it upgrades into a lot of different items that are effective for Yi.

Carados

02-12-2011

Quote:
LabMonkey12:
Definitely avoid attacking the one with thornmail as much as possible. Lifesteal really is the best answer to thornmail, considering it is the cheapest item, and it upgrades into a lot of different items that are effective for Yi.
You'd need over 130% life steal to just make up for the thornmail.

Ajani Vengeant

Recruiter

02-12-2011

Quote:
Carados:
You'd need over 130% life steal to just make up for the thornmail.

Thornmail doesn't bounce back THAT much damage at you. It's 30%, not 130%.

Carados

02-12-2011

Quote:
DMSHA:
Thornmail doesn't bounce back THAT much damage at you. It's 30%, not 130%.

Life Steal returns damage after armor, Thornmail returns damage before armor. Thornmail gives 100 armor. They will have base armor. They will have another armor item, due to Thornmail basically being the worst of the big armor items.

Emalore

02-12-2011

Quote:
Carados:
Life Steal returns damage after armor, Thornmail returns damage before armor. Thornmail gives 100 armor. They will have base armor. They will have another armor item, due to Thornmail basically being the worst of the big armor items.

Thornmail returns the damage as magic damage, which is why you get both lifesteal and mr.