Playing Kayle well

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reigndrop

01-26-2010

I understand the desire to build towards an AP Kayle when solo-queing; however, if you are going with a team there are much better support items you can build then soulstealer and deathfire which are items generally more taken by an AP carry.

You talk about middle game struggling and one way to counterbalance that is guiding your carry through midgame feeding him kills by ulting him through ganks. Yes, this is not the most profitable approach for yourself, but it will greatly benefit your carry if he is stacking a soulstealer or working towards an early bloodthirster/IE. Also, if successful you will be stunting the growth of the enemy team.

I usually start with meki + 2 mana pots which I will turn into codex (using Teleport to supplement my mana regen). After that I then grab the necessary boots (depending on the opposing heroes). Then, a good midgame item (assuming adequate farming early game) is going for a Rylai's. This will increase the slow on your Reckoning which midgame will help you and your carry in ganking.

I stack CD reduction runes as well as talents, so I need just under 15% CD reduction to hit cap from here. This usually results in the purchase of Soul Shroud or in certain cases I'll purchase a Spirit Visage (unless I'm on Frozen Heart duty in which case I'll usually start with chalice since I'll hit CD cap anyway).

From here you're at the CD reduction cap and have super-slow reckoning for those runners. The game should be close to over but if its not supplement this spot with whatever you need (for me this is usually Banshee's).

Warning: This build is not the most fun wen you're not playing with people you know and you can use any of the AP builds above mine if you are solo-queing. Also mind you that this is not a pure support build where you are a walking aura machine, meaning you are assuming there is someone else carrying Stark's, Aegis, etc. which you may be asked to pick up for your team.

Beef410

01-26-2010

My best success with Kayle is an AP build, I find her to be a horrible farmer early game so I usually do an offense util build with greed and imp Smite/Ignite. I usually build her abilities focusing on Reckoning and choosing what other ability to focus based on the lane and my partner.

Early game I base her around harassing with Reckoning and get Chalice as soon as the lane is secure enough to do so. I've also had a lot of success taking the magic pen boots with Kayle gives her some extra punch early game. My next items are generally either a Deathfire or a Zhonya's, if I'm having money problems or need extra burst I grab a Deathfire if I'm still harassing I'll get the Zhonya's. The next item is generally defensive based on the enemy preferably a frozen heart. If you lack melee champs and you find yourself frequently engaging the enemy via melee an Atma's is also a good choice.

With a build like this my abilities have punch, if I'm healing it heals for decent amounts if I'm dmging I can put out some nice burst as her aoe has a good AP ratio combined with a Reckoning shot and a Deathfire blast.

I don't see the point of getting Rylais for Kayle as her Reckoning is a slow and between that and her heal either you can catch the runner or you can make someone else catch him.

I usually always keep a lot of pots on me, the general idea is that your armored by default so you should prioritize healing the squishies over yourself, also keep in mind that this is a ranged build so you're generally not going to be frontlining so save your bubble for you teammates. The worst Kayle's I've seen are the ones who only heal/bubble themselves.

Tantalis

01-26-2010

double post :O

EnderTheXenocide

01-26-2010

Just thought I would add that I play Kayle time and again with a friend of mine, who will pick Yi. This is an absolutely wicked combination. We coordinate before any big battle, and I will ult Yi, and then he will ult as well, removing status effects. Total pwnage.

The problem with Kayle is that she depends a lot on your team. I personally go for regen and survivability. I spam a heal on any ally that is not at full, and basically act as a full time healer / support. She can be very powerful in this role, but only if your teammates aren't stupid =/

Tantalis

01-26-2010

I suggest building her more survivability. Catalyst - soulstealer - starks - banshe - lich, if time infinity but thats rare.

also use ur heal more to gank, gives a nice speed boost. dont forget to heal allies though it will increase ur chances of victories in teamfights by alot.

Now for spells i usually go heal with smite or rally, though rallys cd is insanely high....6mins. You do not need teleport, i feel its a worthless spell. catalyst provides enough to keep ur mana up.

Now i dont really suggest full ap stacking. Dmg may be nice but this build here offers quite a bit of ap from soulstealer and much mroe survivability. If u full ap stack and they get spell resist, you are now pretty much worthless.

ctidesm

01-26-2010

4 crucial steps:
move mouse (with feet cause it's embarassing to play with hands if you have kayle tbh) over twitch
use big toe to hit 'r'
click with pinky toe
stay within exp range of ace

Vijaya

01-26-2010

Kayle's terrible with creep farming, so you need to find a way to make money. Avarice Blade is the best choice for items that give gold; it pays for itself in 25 minutes or 12 1/2 if you sell it. And Avarice costs a fraction of what Philo Stone costs... see what I'm getting at?

If you want gold as Kayle, you want kills. Obviously you want gold, so what's the best way to get kills? I'm sure a pure DPS build would work wonders on her, or a combo DPS/AP build, but personally I go with a straight AP build.

My build is:

Meki > Chalice
Basic boots
Mejai's
Upgrade boots to either Ninja Tabi, Mercury Treads or Sorcerer's Shoes (depends on who you're fighting and if they're stacking magic resist)
Zhonya's Ring
Deathfire Grasp/Void Staff/Lich Bane/Something

That last item probably won't happen, but getting to a Zhonya's is entirely possible. If you can fill up Mejai's, you'll have 400 AP with the ring. This means Q does 700 damage and E makes you do 100 bonus damage.

What sucks about this build is no CDR, and Kayle has some higher timers. Quick fix, constantly go for golems buff. If you're good, you're gonna have an easy time keeping it.

Typically, your Mejai's isn't going to fill up. But a well played Kayle, even without any 'tanking' items, has excellent survivability. 20 assists isn't likely to happen, but 10 without dying **** well is. Expect your Mejai's to always be around half full mid-game, and if you're doing it right completely full late game. A half full Mejai's gives 120 AP, which is nearly as much as Zhonya's at 1/3 the cost and more than a RoA at less than half the cost.

End game, this Kayle is powerful to the point that your enemies need a gank squad to take you out. W and her ult give you an awesome survivability, even to the point of tanking turrets at mid levels. Try getting your team back-door a turret, simply engage with Kayle so you pull the hits, pop her ult, then heal once you can get the full kick from it Chances are the turrets down with Kayle at half life, which is more than enough to GTFO and heal up.

Early game, play conservative. Try using slow to get kills if you can, but the most important thing is that you don't have to leave your lane until you hit level 6.

Once you hit 6, go crazy. An enemy is crawling away after battle? Pop your W, pop your ult as you float past the turret and smite those **** heathens, then retreat into the bushes for round 2.

There's two approaches to late-game team fights. If your team is winning, save your abilities. Once Twitch tries sneaking off, nail him with Q, then pop W and E to keep up/keep him in range. Kayle's best use in team fights is doing this, in my opinion.

If your team is losing a big fight, hoist your big ****ing sword overhead and waddle into battle. Pick your enemies weak link, Q them. Are they still up? Pop E and fix that. Someone about to die? W, which also helps them run their asses away.

Kayle is also great at starting fights. Just pop your ult and run in. Once the stuns have worn off, either W and get out (if you're hurt), or Q and E and go crazy. Even if you have to get out and let others take the pain, you can always pop E and stay on the outskirts giving support.

Typically I'll try to save my ult for myself, for good reason. When someone starts dying their thought is "Gotta get out!!!!" and, by the time they see my beautiful glowing bubble around them they've already convinced themselves to run/are halfway out the door. Sure, this can save them, but honestly is it really worth it? They were already leaving and that doesn't help your stupid ass, which is still in the fight.

However, if you can use it well and trust your team, feel free to use it for whatever you need.

Hm... hopefully that helps some. I know a lot of people (myself included) go straight for items when seeing now builds, but honestly the 'how to play' is the most important section of any guide. Generally when I play Kayle like this I end up acting as a carry, and I've had games where myself and one other competent player managed to win the entire round, despite the rest of our team being feeding noobs, so I know it works.

This is basically a guide now so I'm gonna shut up and go back to homework.

Reigndrop

01-26-2010

I understand the power of an AP Kayle especially if trying to build to become your teams carry, but I think the power of Rylai's when ganking with Kayle is being brushed aside to quickly here.

Without Rylai's characters with movement speed increases of their own that are greater than 25%, aoe slowing effects greater than 25%, or massive single target slows will still get away from you and your gank partner(s). Although this list make look exclusive it includes commonly played characters such as Udyr, Ashe, and Sivir as well as many others.

Basically taking a look at Udyr's bear stance at max level it gives a 27% movement speed increase. With a normal reckoning this is going to put him still over 100% movement speed, thus requiring you to either heal yourself or a gank partner in order to catch the Udyr.

Healing yourself will allow you to keep up with him and maintain the slow but your partner (who is probably bringing the majority of the damage to the fight will fall behind). Similarly healing the ally will give him the duration of the reckoning to finish the Udyr before he again retains his greater movement speed and gets away.

The slowing effects from characters like Ashe work the same way. With volley Ashe will hit a 38% slow on you and your partner(s) (if aimed correctly), meaning the only way to catch her even with reckoning is to pop your heal. Again you can either give yourself chase time while maintaining reckoning with your partners falling behind or giving one of them a few seconds where they are faster than Ashe.

Rylai's obviously trumps the movement speed of these heroes making ganking upon them more viable (if you look at all the characters abilities many do have a slow or movement speed increase so making your version superior is a definite plus). Obviously there are certain situations where even Rylai's falls shots such as a maxed out wall of Karthas, but at least it is a start.

I realize ganking is not the entire game, but being able to feed your carry kills midgame by ganking definitely gives you an edge when it comes to late game when team fights can get dominated by a fed carry.

KirbyHero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2010

Reign drop i like the idea of helping ganks with a slow but how do you get through the whole game with only 7 mana per 5 off equips? Do you really have no problems with that?

Reigndrop

01-26-2010

I do have stacking mana regen runes which do help out with my regen issues; however there are other options available. Like I said earlier I utilize the teleport spell and with the completed utility tree talents teleport is usually up when I am out of mana and need to return to the fountain to replenish mana. Also if you are really having problems you can pick up mana manipulator for the soul shroud you will probably be picking up later OR you could carry the frozen heart for your team and pick up a chalice early for mana regen.

Personally, I like having the codex early for extra ap while harassing in the lane before ganking, but I have had success myself and seen others have success with picking up a chalice (especially helpful against an AP-heavy lane) so that is another option available to you.