Playing Kayle well

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KirbyHero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2010

I have tons of trouble playing Kayle well and contributing to the team. I play Malphite and have a very easy time going positive and/or initiating team fights really favorably and helping out the team that way.

With Kayle I have problems. I'm ok in the lane, it's not so bad. I harass with her q and heal up with w a bunch, thump a few minions. I don't get pushed back unless it's a strong team. I'm always behind in levels, every game, but I figure a tank hero whose star farming move adds smidgens of damage around her standard attack is supposed to have that problem.

Midgame. Like, all of my games have been over by midgame anyhow, so I don't know about lategame. But I'm supposed to be using my ult in a way that makes it one of the best in the game, but the situations for it aren't coming up. I'll use it on someone who is just about to successfully back out of a fight anyway, or on someone who's almost dead but has blown all of his cool downs anyway so he just gets to watch us fight for 4 more seconds. Or my target gets stunned, slowed, and snared out the wazoo.

What's the deal? Is Kayle even good? Maybe I'm dependent on heros that can use the ult well.. it's really tough when half the time I'm alongside an Ashe or something. After she's blown her ult and barrage cooldown what can she even do for four seconds?

Are most Kayles buying attack items and dealing damage? I read a build uses an early philosopher's stone, that made sense to me, it helps me lane and harass better in the early lanes. That's what I've been going with.

If anyone has a good Kayle they want to show me, buddy me and I'll play a match and watch.

KirbyHero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2010

Beegly Boogs

01-24-2010

Hit R
Click on deeps.

YouAintNoNinja

01-24-2010

Kayle really doesn't shine in solo queues, because your teammates either don't know what your ulti does, or they don't trust you enough to really take advantage of it. For Kayle to show her full potential, it really helps to have a friend play with you, preferrably as a hard carry. Try to communicate who you're going to use your ulti on in a team fight before it begins, so that ~maybe~ they'll stay in the fight, knowing your DI is coming. I have to leave for work, so I can't write too much. I will be on this evening, and I'll try to contact you.

KirbyHero

01-24-2010

Probably won't be playing LoL this evening. Thanks for advice though!

The Fat Battler

01-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyHero View Post
With Kayle I have problems. I'm ok in the lane, it's not so bad. I harass with her q and heal up with w a bunch, thump a few minions. I don't get pushed back unless it's a strong team. I'm always behind in levels, every game, but I figure a tank hero whose star farming move adds smidgens of damage around her standard attack is supposed to have that problem.
What item do you get in the beginning? I usually get a Meki Pendant and 2 Health Pots (I usually have Clarity), or 2 Mana Pots (when I don't bring Clarity) and build it into a Chalice, which almost permanently fixes my mana problems with her.

Quote:
Midgame. Like, all of my games have been over by midgame anyhow, so I don't know about lategame. But I'm supposed to be using my ult in a way that makes it one of the best in the game, but the situations for it aren't coming up. I'll use it on someone who is just about to successfully back out of a fight anyway, or on someone who's almost dead but has blown all of his cool downs anyway so he just gets to watch us fight for 4 more seconds. Or my target gets stunned, slowed, and snared out the wazoo.
Well, to know when to use Kayle's Intervention is all about knowing the other team. If they are stacked with stuns and slows, you want to try a different approach. Use Intervention on your initiator, and they'll absorb alot of damage. They will get stunned and everything anyway, but at least now the stuns and slows are on cooldown and so are the enemy's best attacks. That's another way to use it.

You don't want to use Intervention on something that can escape. If you and your teammates are at level 16, but that idiot mute who continues to lane by himself and feed the other team is at level 9, don't bother with him.

Don't use Intervention on someone without an escape if they're in the jaws of an enemy team with stuns. As weird as this sounds, an escape is only really useful if they aren't stunned first. Intervention is really a waste on a slow tank without an escape route like Cho'Gath, unless you manage to use Divine Blessing on him earlier, then it might work. You generally want to use Intervention on the Blitzcranks, the Alistars, etc.

Quote:
What's the deal? Is Kayle even good? Maybe I'm dependent on heros that can use the ult well.. it's really tough when half the time I'm alongside an Ashe or something. After she's blown her ult and barrage cooldown what can she even do for four seconds?
Kayle is definitely good if you have a feel for what your teammates are doing. She can be successful in pubs, but she is best in premades. The only time she can work in a pub is if your teammates communicate with you. Try to say things like "My ulti is ready" and if anyone answers, then try to strategize with them.

Quote:
Are most Kayles buying attack items and dealing damage? I read a build uses an early philosopher's stone, that made sense to me, it helps me lane and harass better in the early lanes. That's what I've been going with.
Of course, it depends on what you want your Kayle to do. She's not a good tank, and fills the role more of a caster/support. If you need to tank, you need a way to get money, and some people rush a Tiamt or a Sunfire, and then get Warmog's, but that's very slow. I try to go after Warmog's after I get a Chalice and Mercury's, but rarely does the game go on before I can manage to scrounge up enough money for it (Kayle really is a terrible farmer).

Kayle can work as a more offensive character, so keep an eye open for that; she can use Atma's Impaler well, she can use Frozen Heart, she can use Nashor's Tooth, she can even make an Archangel's work.

KirbyHero

01-24-2010

Thanks for all feedback!

thekidxp

01-24-2010

i play kayle from time to time although more often if the team doesnt have a tank or premades like everyone has said its just more successful, but i like her a lot and early game that slow plus you can make your team move fast really helps ganks early which is how i usually keep up lvls plus your fire move makes you ranged which helps early and i use my ult on a carry who can finish the job usually, anytime you can keep the other team from getting a kill its useful. and if you can keep them in the fight so they get a kill instead its even better, lastly if you're a intimidating tank and can get them to attack you use it on yourself while they stun and do w/e to finish you the carry kills them all( and you will be intimidating late game when you keep everyone alive and do ridiculous damage with atmas).

I'm far from an expert i use her sometimes, i havent played a lot, and mostly use a build(that i change only a little for me/the circumstances) that i found online i cant think of the author right now, but thats how i do it and its pretty successful, just read about it and keep practicing you'll see when to use your abilities.

IceDive

01-25-2010

This is a good Kayle build in my experience, I believe it's reginalds build.

Saphire + mana pot
saphire --> catalyst
Mejai's Soulstealer
Boots
Nashor's
Catalyst --> banshee's veil
Stark's fervor
Lich bane

Champ's that can use her ult well are the melee-DPS champs that can keep doing damage when their abillities are on cooldown. Like Yi and Twitch. Some people say that casting on trundamere has no use, since his ult does almost the same. This is pure BS, since your shield will make it last longer before he has to use his ult, making him rape enemies 5 seconds longer.

using E-skill can help farming for gold, but being underleveled has nothing to do with last-hitting, since this does not grand you extra XP. Maybe try to help ganking early level, and make sure you are not out of range causing you to miss XP.

Also, practice well on towerdiving, kayle can be an expert in this aspect. she can shield herself, has increased movement speed skill and a slow, and can do some decent damage with her Q and E. I'm thinking of starting off with Saphire and than getting sheen ASAP to towerdive really as well as possible.

Hope this helps.

Hunkulese

01-25-2010

I've been having a lot of success with an AP Kayle lately. I start with a meki pendant and 1 mana and 1 hp pot. First trip back I get basic boots and a lucky pick (helps your poor farming abilities to start and you can turn it into a Deathfire later). I don't normally run into mana problems so I don't bother getting a chalice. I normally run out of mana about the time I'm ready to shop anyway. After that it really depends on how the game is looking. If we're outclassing the other team I try and get a soul stealer early. If not I normally start building an Abyssal scepter or sometimes a void staff and I tend to finish the Deathfire after this. Your reckoning will be doing some respectable damage at this point but you should still play Kayle as support. You should be roaming with your team and figuring out who you can slow, who needs a speed boost, and who you can pick off.

It's pretty hard to describe when to use your Ult. It can be used in almost any situation and you have to have a feel for how the fight is going to go and try and guess what the other team is going to do. Just try not to waste it.