[Help] Udyr, WW, Olaf...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dagyr

02-12-2011

I have all three, and I have runes for all three (pretty much the same runes....) but I can't decide who I want to main as a jungler. I understand they play different roles, but I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on the situation.

I love olaf's ability to anticarry while still being tanky, and his true damage is what sold me on him recently. 340 true damage every 3 seconds in INSANE, and I do a Wriggles-> ghostblade->Frozen Mal->Atama's with situational boots build that ends up with ~280 damage, 70-ish arm pen and 3.5k health. SO Fun to play, and a GREAT anticarry because of his R and tankiness.

Udyr, I usually end up going a Phoenix/Turtle/Tanky build and just play as a bearstunbot lategame. Not the most fun, but I enjoy doing my part for the team. I also feel that olaf is a much better jungler early game if you start with a vamp scept. However, Udyr may have slightly better ganking with his bearstun. I find he plays more of a tanky/stunner role, but I'd like some insight.

WW...is just WW. Horrible early game ganking, good jungle survivability though. He's only useful for a gank with his ult up, and even lategame he doesn't seem that useful. IMO, he's incredibly overrated. But I do enjoy playing him, just don't feel like I do much.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

TL;DR - Udyr, WW, or Olaf. Who to main?

Dagyr

02-12-2011

Shameless self bump.

xCookieMonster

02-12-2011

Of those three, WW is the best. A lot of people underestimate WW. You get the people who think he's easy to play, and then there's the people who think he's god awful because they don't know how to play him.

He's actually one of the greatest characters in the game. The thing is (and it applies to a lot of characters, but especially to WW, and most junglers especially) if you don't get early kills, and have a low-cash start, you're most likely going to get ripped apart. But he's a snowball, he mostly shines mid-game, and can bring in double digit kills easily. Bloodrazor is a very important item for WW, which is why you get it first, (though, I tend to go cloth > boots> mad razor > bloodrazor). His ultimate alone will do 20% in magic damage alone. That's just the bonus from Bloodrazor. Plus, you get the actual damage AND it stuns them for nearly 2 seconds. WW is a pretty good post 6 ganker, but he's also an incredibly dangerous 1v1 champion. Few champions can beat an equally fed WW 1v1.

Though, people underestimating him is fine by me, the less people who use my main, the better.

myassyourface

02-12-2011

If you're looking for a jungle main then screw all 3 of those guys. None of them jungles as good as trundle. Problem solved.

Dagyr

02-12-2011

Self-bump, thanks for input. Last bump though.

Arlee

02-12-2011

Depends on your play style.

What are you looking to do as a jungler?
-Jungle at High Health
-Jungle fast
-Be able to counter jungle w/o losing Exp
-Gank at what lvls?
-Control the Map/Dragon?

Which one do you prioritize with the above? And what's your rune setup... they should be different for each of those champs if you're seriously talking about a "main" jungler. Troll junglers can just take the general rune setup for jungling. Pro junglers have a set of runes for each style of play based on the criteria I listed above.

I only jungle! That's my life in LOL. Rare to say that but, I can't lane worth +5gold. I only jungle and I do it with the King of the Jungle, WW.

Soriotic

02-12-2011

olaf is the fastest jungler and he can gank effectively at lvl 4 due to to lvling slightly faster than mid during that period of time. all you need to do is max the experience mastery and jungle correctly by using potions at the right time (his as increases with less life) and using his axes correctly (throwing it close enough so you can pick it up to refresh cd quicker). i also max out the minion mastery in defense as well to make jungling easier. dont forget to use his axe and smite during vicious strikes to lifesteal.

not saying ww and udyr are bad, its just olaf has more advantages when he jungles. ww cant gank until lvl 6 where he gains his suppress ultimate and udyr doesnt have enough damage output.

tigerllama

02-13-2011

Your focus on the issue isn't much about the jungle as it is about who you really want to play. All your arguments are more geared towards what they become rather than actual jungle-oriented issues.

As it stands right now, main Olaf; That's the champ you will be most satisfied with playing.

Aezoc

02-13-2011

It's not a bad idea to at least get decent with all three. I'm like you, I much prefer jungling to laning, and all three have different strengths and weaknesses. You want to be able to pick the one that helps your team the most/counters their team the best.

Udyr: Pick when your team needs tanky men more than DPS. By far the best tank of the three, brings on-demand stuns (great vs. Galio, Nunu, Kat, etc), has a fast and reasonably safe jungle clear. I'd recommend tiger over phoenix now - gives much better ganks, slightly faster jungle, and makes him scarier to enemy carries.

WW: Pick when your team needs a safe jungle (they have a strong counter-jungler/invader), or your team has a stronger early game presence and won't be critically reliant on your early game ganking. Has the slowest jungle clear of the three, but by far the safest. His ganking sucks before level 6, but afterward his ult can basically guarantee a kill and works reasonably well at shutting down a carry in team fights.

Olaf: Pick when your team needs a strong carry/anti-carry and early jungle invasions aren't much of a threat. Clears the jungle the fastest of the three, but spends the whole time at low HP. Has reasonably good ganks out of the jungle, assuming you can land Q reliably, and scales into a monster late game.

Eppa

02-13-2011

I would say if you want to main 1 pick the one you have the most fun with.

If you want to play all 3 i would suggest:
WW if you need an initiate.
Olaf if you need an anti carry.
Udyr if you have an initiate but need a tank. (you have Ashe, TF(depends on the TFs skill though), Lux, Morg or something that can stop the other team from kiting you.)