@Elementz (and high Elo elitists)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RHINO Mk II

02-11-2011

Dear Elementz,
I see that you have written an article about how ranked games should have more significant punishments for griefers. While I agree with some of what you say, there was one line in particular that really bothered me, and I hope you will consider retracting the statement before players start quoting you on it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementz
Casual players already have two area’s where they can screw around and do as they please in Normal and Custom games.
In order for you to understand my reaction, let me give you a little background information. I do not play Solo Ranked queue, either alone or even duo queue. I have precisely one game played, because a friend asked me to help him win a game. I decided when Ranked mode came out that I didn't want the stress of others (and myself) judging me on a "rating", particularly one earned in games where I was only 20% of the team. I get angry easily, especially when I have teammates who perform poorly. It just wasn't worth the hassle for me when I'm trying to have fun in a game.

With that said, I am also a competitive player in several genres. When I play games, I play to win, because I don't find them to be as fun when you are just trying to mess around (exceptions include games with no defined goals such as Minecraft.) I hope that every one of my teammates feels the same way, even though this is not always the case. I play a custom game with every new champion I pick up because I don't want to drag my team down by not understanding the mechanics of their skills and basic build.

It is my firm belief that only custom games are a suitable place for players to, as you so elegantly put it, " Screw around and do as they please."

Although a player's rating is not publicly or even privately visible in normal games, it does exist. It does determine the teammates you will be matched with and the enemies you will play against. Custom games are not rated, and have no permanent mark on a player's record, therefore they are the perfect place to mess around and have fun with a hilarious build like AP Garen. I do not wish to be matched against worse opponents in subsequent games because a player decided that normal queue would be a great place to try out Critdinger for the first time (even though Critdinger is awesome.) I especially do not want them to justify their play by saying that Elementz told them that normal games are a place to screw around and do as you please. Elementz's opinion is held in high regard by many members of the community as evidenced by the "nerf champion X, tier 1 elementz" threads that have run rampant across these forums.

I have no problem with you being what casual players would call "elitists". You have high Ranked Elo. Congratulations, you certainly earned it, spending far more time and effort on this game and community than I was willing to. I certainly wish that Ranked games were more competitive and less lenient on griefers. However, as I have no desire to subject myself to the stress brought on by a public rating, I ask that you kindly try your hardest to win in normal games as well. While in normal solo queue, I have run into Elementz and 5HITCOMBO, both competitive and skilled high Elo players who are known on these forums. If my normal Elo is similar enough to theirs to be matched with them, do I not deserve to have them play their best?

I request that Elementz retract the statement that I quoted. Casual players do have one area where they can screw around and do as they please, but it isn't normal queue. I'm already dreading the day when I run into a zeal Rammus in normal queue who quotes Elementz as justification for not playing to the best of his ability, not only for himself, but also for his 4 teammates.

Feel free to discuss below.

TL;DR Read the fourth paragraph.

Dakaa

02-11-2011

phuck noobs, I agree with Elementz 101%.

Siegfryd

02-11-2011

Lot of whiny nonsense when you could've summed it up in like 2 sentences.

MrEnzyme

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2011

Like it or not people do mess around in normals a lot of the time, especially at higher levels. The lack of rating and stats shows its meant to be less serious than ranked.

embl3m

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2011

People always 'screw around' in normal games. People who take champions who contribute very little to team or help form balanced composition are clearly just playing to have fun, rather than to win. In ranked it's -very- encouraged that you take the absolute best possible champion at every single pick, and not just instalock tryndamere as last pick when your team needed a tank and shen was open.

1c3fr0g

02-11-2011

mundo screws around where he pleases

RHINO Mk II

02-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by embl3m View Post
People always 'screw around' in normal games. People who take champions who contribute very little to team or help form balanced composition are clearly just playing to have fun, rather than to win. In ranked it's -very- encouraged that you take the absolute best possible champion at every single pick, and not just instalock tryndamere as last pick when your team needed a tank and shen was open.
I don't even mind if players pick someone like Singed or Gragas when the team needs a tank. They are much more fun to play than the same old cookie cutter Rammus/Shen/Amumu that always happens in ranked games. Picking something slightly less than optimal is not a problem. Building something other than Aegis first doesn't bother me either (although Aegis is an amazing item even without the aura). It's when they go out of their way to play a build that has never been seen before or has been a joke on the forums for over a year (see Critdinger) when 4 other players' rating depends on the outcome of the game.

pichumy

02-11-2011

Screwing around in normal games does not always mean playing poorly. I see your point though.

Dimensionist

02-11-2011

He said something on his website that you don't agree with.

no need to bring it here.

Just make a comment on his website.

Kyy909

02-11-2011

First you say that you get angry very easily at bad teammates in particular, also that you don't want to get stressed out by ranked games... that's fine all fine. Play normal.
BUT THEN you go onto say how you are competitive, play to win and don't like people messing around in normal games.

Make up your mind, you also have poor attitude, but at least you recognize that.

A suggestion: Don't get stressed out. YOU CAN control this. Play ranked competitively like you say you do in normal games.... bring a friend along to make it more fun and climb out of the ****ters bracket. Play ranked when you're in a good mood and be positive.

Normal games are not for trying a new champ for the first time... fine... but normal games are the place you test new ideas against people your level so that you might find something you want to APPLY to a ranked game. Sooner you realize the happier you'll be.