Malzahar - The Tank Destroyer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PsychicToaster

02-21-2011

I'd love to see this build kill my Mordekaiser build. I love to laugh at Malzahar's that Nether Grasp me. Veigar is the only champion that can remotely give me a hard time from magic damage.

Milerzhus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellsliketeens View Post
hmmm, I have mained malz for a while aswell.
You have the summoner spells right, in my experience ignite and flash work wonders with him.
The items are pretty much there, I always go for deathfire's early just because with the combo using deathfires you are the true tank melter as the title says.

One main difference though is the skilling order. At level 1 I always put 1 point into Call of the void first, and then proceed to max out visions while grabbing null zone at level 4. The reason behind getting call of the void first is the sheer amount of lane dominance+his passive. One trick that I see very few malzahars do is the voidling summon at level 1. At fountain cast call of the Void until your next cast will summon a voidling. At level 1, this can give you a first blood easily. The fact is, at level 1 call of the void does 100 damage with the right rune set. This is huge damage considering most squishies start off with 500 hp or less. Combined with your regular auto attack and the voidling(most people ignore it and don't realize its damage potential) It is almost always an insured first blood and superior lane dominance throughout the entire game.
I like your take on getting CotV first, I usually do get it if we are harassing their jungle, an AoE silence is much better than a single target DoT which will probably not serve its purpose as well as CotV. And for FB at level 1-2, if you can pull it off most games then by all means go for it, but either way level 1 and 2 you should have MV and CotV at level 1, and then continue leveling MV. I could see how the CotV at level one would help get a voidling out and harass a bit more, but I usually try to make my opponent perceive me as being weak, and allow him to dominate early game and let him push till im level 4 or so. Then by the time I'm level 6-7 I can get a good kill in, and although it may not be FB, it will still be something and allow for better dominance.

As for getting DFG early, I am a strong believer in getting tear first and then giants belt after boots. Malz is like anivia, except he doesnt have a second life. So the extra survivability is nice, and although deathfire will help reduce your CD for a total of 30%, and help you melt away those tanks, with you being mid you should have a level advantage and your nullzone + nether grasp will help you melt them, especially if you have a few kills under your belt - I cant tell you how many times a mundo or another tank have come to defend mid while theirs Bs, and i just nuke em down in the tower

I will check out your voidling FB combo as it is interesting!

Thanks for your feedback!

Milerzhus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychicToaster View Post
I'd love to see this build kill my Mordekaiser build. I love to laugh at Malzahar's that Nether Grasp me. Veigar is the only champion that can remotely give me a hard time from magic damage.
Honestly, if you build to counter Malz, MR, QSS, cleanse, etc.. he cant touch you, but lets examine what would happen in a team fight. Malz would target their squishies, and Morde is no squishy, so chances are he wouldn't ult you. Now 1v1 on the other hand, it all depends on the player, but I believe Malz would still come out on top against any Morde. Morde has no CC and Malz has 2, in the end you would just drop to null zone and nether grasp

Milerzhus

02-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRajon View Post
I would not leave out ROA
ROA was hard for me to leave out, but on my mobafire guide I have added in a section regarding ROA vs AA, I will just give you the brief explantion here.

ROA costs more than AA early game, and while the added survivability would be nice, going back and getting tear of the goddess + tier 2 boots is always better than just a catalyst and tier one. In the endgame AA will give you more AP than ROA, and while the extra 700 health is nice, by endgame if you are being targeted, you will most likely die. Both are highly viable but I personally like tear better, build ROA takes a lot of time and money, you can normally get half of your ryalis finished by the time ROA is up, and in which case you have the added health and AP by blasting wand or amplifying tomb.

In the end it is entirely personal, but by the end game I believe AA wins out over ROA. Here is a link to my guide on moba if you want to see a better analysis
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...estroyer-57356

Kalshazzak

02-22-2011

An early DFG isn't for tanks, it's so you can combo the person you're laning against from 100%->0% w/o ignite. Catalyst is also much better for laning survivability. Ihmo, Fiendish+boots+catalyst makes malz a nightmare of a lane opponent. Getting a tear/AA is like basically saying, I'm going to gimp my early/mid game to be stronger late game. Why would you do this when casters are strongest early-mid and weaker late. While malz falls off the least, you'd be better off with a mejai's for early-game, or void for late-game instead of an AA.(AA is the worst AP item in the game imo, and the only time you should buy it is after a RoA)

RoA>Rylai's because Malz has all AoE/DoTs, so the slow is useless on him. Which means you're paying more money for worse laning, less hp, and no mana.

InSilico

02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milerzhus View Post
ROA was hard for me to leave out, but on my mobafire guide I have added in a section regarding ROA vs AA, I will just give you the brief explantion here.

ROA costs more than AA early game, and while the added survivability would be nice, going back and getting tear of the goddess + tier 2 boots is always better than just a catalyst and tier one. In the endgame AA will give you more AP than ROA, and while the extra 700 health is nice, by endgame if you are being targeted, you will most likely die. Both are highly viable but I personally like tear better, build ROA takes a lot of time and money, you can normally get half of your ryalis finished by the time ROA is up, and in which case you have the added health and AP by blasting wand or amplifying tomb.

In the end it is entirely personal, but by the end game I believe AA wins out over ROA. Here is a link to my guide on moba if you want to see a better analysis
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...estroyer-57356
ROA is worth it over AA if you dont get rylai's, like the chap above me said ryalis isnt good on mal when you think about it, the slow on aoe like null zone and dot are tiny really not worth it.

i used to do you exact build until i realise how much i was pointlessly hurting my early mid game for very little gain late game.

like you said mal has great AP ratios so making use of that early as possible is the best idea.

my build lately has been,

flash/ignite

9 - 21 - 0 mastries

red - mpen
yellow - hp/level
blue - mr/level
purples - hp regen

dorans ring (i run hp regen quints so laning is easy),
sorc boots (the extra mp pen early makes all the difference)
mana crystal (while with just base regen, visions and the ring regen is never a problem but his base pool is to small to make real use of in a fight)
deathcap (u do tons of damage and melt faces)
finish banshees (great item dont really need to explain why against a smart team its the only way u can get a game winning ult off, you could easily get a ROA instead but really shees is op as **** i cant imagine why you wouldnt get it)
then get situational void staff or the new zhoyas etc.

the reason i dont finish the catalyst before getting deathcap is because you really dont need to its it delays the deathcap just that bit more, mal is an amazing farmer and 90% of the games you play are decided in the mid game, id be much happier sitting on this than a tear and most of a ryalis mid game.

also i often find it worth getting an extra level of silence instead of null zone at level 4, while its the perfect 1 skill point wonder its often the difference between getting a kill or not at level 6, against mages and blinkers a longer silence and more damage is better than a small aoe effect u cant keep them in.

also for early laning never cast ur visions on creeps unless you really need the mana, just last hit like any normal hero and when visions is off cooldown cast it on the enemy its got great damage and range and can easily get you a kill early, using visions on creeps pushes the lane like crazy and leaves u totally open for ganks.

just my thoughts

AntennasToHeaven

02-22-2011

Tank destroyer? Right...

Bringbackpluto

Recruiter

02-22-2011

Why AA on Malzahar?

Just go sorc shoes, deathcap, void staff, DFG. Add in mejai's if you feel like snowballing even more. There's only like two AP carries that actually need tears/AA.

Redils

03-08-2011

You say tank destroyer. When Nullzone + Ult is your highest damage output available. Especially once you get a decent amount of AP. 400 AP + lvl5 Nullzone = 13% max health per second. Add your ult at lvl 3 thats almost a kill on most tanks... then you can pop ur MV or Call of the void as they run away. And you can run back to your team or away from the enemy. Also the mana gain from lvl 4 to lvl 5 malefic visions is insignificant. It goes from 4.6 creeps to make it worthwhile IE. The amount of mana cost on the spell is completely returned, to 4.5. Lvl 5 Malefic Visions is pointless except as extra damage, its not worth it to help you farm.

my spell leveling order is Q, E, E, W, E, R, E, W, W, W, R, W, Q, Q, Q, R, Q, E.

Try it out one time. You'll be surprised at the extra burst you have in team fights. Its especially useful against heavy melee or Assassin teams.

DarkDr3gon

03-09-2011

gj =D