Is Rammus worth playing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rotflcopter

01-23-2010

i actually tend to agree with the op.

i bought him too, because i really liked the character. then i tried him out and thought the exact same thing you are saying.

the thing with Rammus is that he's more than terrible at farming, and very exposed to harassing. You bring nothing to the team, so you will do good only if the team already has the upper hand on its own.

also, Rammus is one of the easiest champions to harass, and if they do, your already pitiful income will be nullified.

taunt is good (lame to be precise), yes, but really, it just won't win you the game.

to me, there are way better tanks than Rammus

Krian

01-23-2010

So..flash and ignite and this is how it works

Powerball PB
Defensive curl DC
Puncturing Taunt PT
Tremors T

PB
PT
PB
PT
PB
T
PB
PT
PB
DC
Rest is your choice
Powerball + Ignite + Tremors + Taunt = GG. Flash in if you must (I.E creeps blocking)

AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO POWERBALL IN..you can save it until your in their face and intiate the combo said above this. It makes them go wtf m8 i is dead

I typically choose boots best to fit the match then go heart of gold or catalyst depending on the game

and i start with a Meki and HP pot x 2

Allows more used of PB as a farming tool which is helpful... I.E. Poweball the 3 casters then 1 shot them for goldzzz

MrSARS

01-23-2010

1. Buy 6 sunfire capes
2. Powerball into a hero
3. Use tremors
5. Taunt
6. Attack you do 300 damage I think
7. Watch that ***** melt like butter.

Betrayed

01-23-2010

Taunt is probably one of the greatest skills in the game.

Frank Balboni

01-23-2010

If you don't think Rammus is good, or that his skills suck, you don't know how to play him.

Rammus is super annoying, powerful, and very helpful/beneficial to a team.

With Rammus, armor = dmg, and armor = survivability. Perfect synergy.

Item builds... Doran's shield is a good starter, hp + armor + regen, plus a health pot

Next I get Tabi and then it's Thornmail. Thornmail is critical. Flash or Powerball in, taunt, curl, tremor = you're toasting them and they're toasting themselves on you. This is a very successful tactic. Very.

I usually don't have trouble getting gold, partially because you get good at last hitting, and also from kills and assists. I normally get an Aegis and then Sunfire to round out the build. That's about all I usually have time for, but usually you can get all 5 items.

Rammus is maybe hard for lvl's 1-3, but after that who cares if you get a little harassed, you can take it, go last hit! Also, it's not that easy to get gank'd. Powerball is an excellent escape. You pretty much have to get 2-3 ganking you w/ a big stun early. That's an unlikely (and should be avoidable) situation early and even mid.

Agree or disagree, up to you, but I'd love to prove it to you in game anytime you want :P

Kragorn

01-24-2010

If you checked out the guides already, then you just need more practice.

As mentioned Warmogs is too expensive. But the good news is that Rammus doesn't need too many items to be effective. Doran's Shield + Chalice + Ninja Tabi -> Heart of Gold / Thornmail for autoattackers or save up for Sunfire. After that, build on situation.

Heart of Gold is good on Rammus for the health and armor (damage), the extra gold is just a bonus.

Once you get your ult, use it on creep waves to farm as the cooldown is short.

For early harassing, yes this happens but with Doran's Shield you are pretty durable. I usually run with heal as well. Just work on your laning and you should be fine.

With Powerball, Rammus is not slow--just don't use it near any minions.

True Bandito

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2010

*******http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu290/javadagreat/2010-01-22_181250.png********

Just some stats to cheer up a fellow Rammus player. Rammus can be easily picked up, and is mad fun to play with but true mastery with him will require a long time. I had matches where I was the ultimate death-ball machine, and in others matches I was a 3 shot-tank (**** u Twitch!)

notliam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-24-2010

Rammus is, in my opinion, the best tank in the game. His passive means you can stack armour (increasing your survivability) whilst also making yourself deadlier. Early game can be a bit of a *****, sometimes I've gone 0-3 in early game and then end up with 15+ kills in mid-late game, but now I just try to play it safe early game and focus on assisting my lane partner.. it's really not that difficult. I've also found soloing with Rammus is a very good start (if you have a jungler or an afker), means you tend to stick to the tower automatically and you get more exp and get to your deadly phase a lot quicker.

I see Rammus as a bit of a nuke - powerball, ult, defensive ball, taunt = dead enemy/s. His powerball really is fantastic, not just for stunning the enemy but also for getting away, and getting to the enemy faster if necessary. Like someone else suggested, you don't need to put many levels into powerball early on, as the extra damage is not as good as what you get from higher levels of defensive ball or taunt. Taunting enemies attacking your tower is an excellent way of making them run the hell away, meaning the lane rammus is in should be able to keep it's tower longer than most. Using powerball first is an added bonus and could easily result in a kill.

My own build of rammus is fairly generic for him I thought (until seeing some people here getting regrowth pendants, whaaat). Typically:

Wardens Mail - Easy to build to, adds excellent armour (especially for the price) and nice health regen which should help you stay alive
Ninja Tabi OR Mercurys Treads - Ninja Tabi helps survivability and is as good as boots will get for rammus, but if there are any mages on the other team (the OP mentioned laning against Ryze for example) then Mercurys Treads are pretty much all you need to stop them from insta-killing you.
Thornmail - Again really good armour for the price, and this is an excellent anti-dps item. Really adds to your survivability and your damage output. Love this item.
Sunfire Cape - I usually get 2 of these. They are pretty expensive but I get them mid-late game when I can already get kills, and these really help in team fights and of course to kill creeps. Doing +80 magic damage to enemies around you, plus the +190 from tremor, means you are dealing around 270 damage (-magic resist) to enemies without even touching anyone. Plus your defensive ball returns damage, AND thornmail. You really punish people for even looking at you, never mind daring to try kill you.
Atmas Impaler - If the game is dragging this is an excellent choice, especially if you have 2 sunfire capes.. you'll have about 3000 health so this will give +60 damage, as well as some armour (which also = damage) and crit strike. Alternatively, bloodthirster works quite well, allowing you to survive a lot longer in fights.

The only thing I don't like about this build is that there are a lot of expensive items on there for maximum ownage, but I never have a problem getting almost the entire build since I do quite well in killing people. My last game with rammus lasted ~30 mins and I got 2 sunfires, mercurys treads, thornmail and on my way to 3rd sunfire. A lot of people mentioned getting warmogs, I can see why warmogs is an awesome item and it's pretty much a must-get for most tanks because it gives great stats, but I'd much rather get me a sunfire cape. Remember, more armour = more damage. What is the point of not being able to die if you can't kill either? With a fully built rammus I managed to kill 4 of the enemy team on my own just after they killed baron (so some were a bit low health but not enough for them to think it was a bad idea to try to kill me). He is just dreamy.

notliam

Recruiter

01-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragorn View Post
Heart of Gold is good on Rammus for the health and armor (damage), the extra gold is just a bonus.
My last game I got 2 heart of gold as starter items, I kept them til about 20 mins when I sold them.. I think they're very useful early game items (plus the gold obviously). They are a bit expensive but you do get it back, eventually. Plus I totally agree about situational item building, but that srsly goes for every character.

Gospel

01-24-2010

Why didnt everyone buy Frozen Heatr? Its a nice item for Rammus coz of cooldown reduction (more Defence Curl. The Rammus' tough comes through this skill), more mana, more armor = more dmg.

1) Heat of God.
2) ninja Tabi.
3) Frozen Heat.
4) Guardian Angel or Thorn Mail (depends on enemy).
5) Sunfire Cap.

Finally u ll get ~500 Armor (in stance Defence Curl) and Immortal Turtle.