Is Rammus worth playing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HarbingTarbl

01-23-2010

So last week I decided to buy Rammus because I kept getting rocked by teams that had him. So for about a week I have been trying to play Rammus the way I see others do and I have kinda started to wonder if buying him was a bad decision.

It seems to me that he is the worst of all the tanking champions, he has the lowest damage output and it seems like the least survivability, while bringing almost nothing to a teamfight.

His farming ability is non-existent, so by 25:00 minutes in the only items I have are a Regrowth Pendent and a Ruby Crystal. Even late game, once I have Warmog's and other high-end items he still seems very squishy. Early game my lane partner seems is by having me in the lane, because I can't push too far out due to the very slow movement speed and my only decent ability(taunt) gets me killed in a few seconds(Don't even try mentioning Powerball, I swear that ability manages to hit the guy BEHIND ME more often than the targets in front of me).

I normally try to work towards a Warmog's, but I can never get enough of an income going to afford it before the 35:00 minute mark. This is in part because I am always the one getting ganked (Don't even talk to me about map awareness, I'm getting ganked by my lane opponents, nothing like going from 100% to dead in 3 seconds thanks to a Ryze-Ulti-Flash-Doom combo). By 30:00 I start getting a few assists but the early deaths cripple my game play.

Assuming that I am just one of the worst players in the history of LoL and that Rammus is actually a decent hero, anyone have some recommendations on how to play him? I checked the guides on the website but I don't seem to have skill to carry them out correctly and end up just feeding.

Zirun

01-23-2010

Don't get Warmog's as your first item, if at all. Items like Heart of Gold provide good stats, are easy to get, and help supplement your income. A Sunfire Cape can help make farming easier mid and late game.

Learn to last hit, and use your ult to clear large creep waves.

If you're getting "ganked" by the opponents in your lane, pay more attention to what they have (what abilities they're leveling up, what summoner spells they have) and be more cautious if they suddenly gain a huge amount of damage (Annie level 6, Ryze level 6, etc.). For example, if you're laned against Ryze and Annie, stay very far away from them when they're close to, and later at, level 6, otherwise you'll be dead unless you have some way to counter it. Always be prepared for what they have.

Taunt is currently the best CC in the game, use it to keep dangerous opponents from killing your dangerous allies.

Rammus has decent initiation with Powerball (+Flash) and taunting of a carry of strong nuker. Use this, along with the huge stats gained from Defensive Ball Curl and AoE damage of Tremors, to start a fight in your favor.

Rammus is also a decent ganker, able to powerball up to enemy champion(s) and snare them, then taunt one to keep them from running away.

Threaten enemies with Taunt if they get too close to your turret. During the laning phase, being taunted by the turret is going to cause serious pain, and possibly death, for the opponent.

Other than that, just general stuff like watching the map, paying attention to your opponents, etc.

looney

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2010

Rammus is good anti-carry tank.

He had a lower hp than usual tanks, though I think they buffed him. If you have problems with his survival, get hp, 1-2 heart of gold and aegis.
Also level up your W skill, it is the main buff to your tanking capacity.

Your point in fights is to do some tanking, hp+W and disable their main threat (it could be annie, twitch, whatever), thats why you max E first. So you can grab the enemy and your team kills him in seconds.

PS: Laning ends at 10 minutes or so, try getting assists then instead of 30:00..

YattaRX8

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2010

It's actually kind of funny to me that you find Rammus hard to play. I actually find him to be the easiest tank in the game to play, personally :P. But, everyone's different.

Early game really is a pain in the ass for Rammus, especially if you're lanning with an ass (I mean your team mate) that refuses to let you last hit creeps. However, I wouldn't say he's weak, he hits fairly hard early game. I personally like to start out with a regrowth pendant so I don't have to worry about getting too harassed to kill creeps. Also, keep in mind that Rammus best synergies with armor (his passive gives him extra damage by a % of his armor).

For skills, I put ONE point into power ball mostly for travel and the slow. Then my order of priority is
Ult > Taunt > Curl > Power ball

The item build I like using is
Regrowth Pendant
Cloth armor (or null-magic mantle depending on who I'm laning against
Ruby crystal
Basic boots
Null-magic mantle (or cloth armor if null-magic mantle was purchased earlier)
Aegis of the Legion
Ninja tabi or mercury treads
Warmogs (another reason I get a regrowth pendant at the beginning, also, a good team will probably get some armor pen to use against you, and this helps counter that)
Sell Aegis and buy Guardian Angel
Frozen Heart

Depending on the team make up, I may fit a thorn mail or force of nature in there somewhere.

Frankly, when I play Rammus, as long as I have my team behind me, I just roll in and try to find their squishy, activate my shield and taunt there squishy. In my experience, it takes a long while to kill me. And one last thing, his ult has a relatively short cooldown, so don't be afraid to use it whenever it's up, even if it's to stop a large wave of creeps from attacking a tower (nom nom golds)

edit: One more thing I forgot. Remember, when you activate power ball, you don't have to be moving. So you can activate it in some brush, wait for your speed to go up high, then charge in and hit them before they have time to react.

And another thing I forgot: Summoner Spells
Personally, I like using teleport and flash. Flash, with power ball, can make incredibly lulzy moments and it works well. Teleport I like so I can blue pill out and buy, regardless of how small the purchase (because even a simple cloth armor will help A LOT in early game) and come back without losing much xp.

Fun fact: If there is a Zilean on your team, get him to speed boost you while you power ball. You can reach passed 1000 speed.

Darcook

01-23-2010

The way I use rammus seems to own, I just up armor (for his passive armor to dmg thing) after I get heart of gold, def ball if I'm getting taken down, use the powerball to rush in/rush out of dangerous situations, ulti -taunt and get my other helper to take everyone down. I'm a newb but rammus seems to work well for me.

ctidesm

01-23-2010

Q-W-E-R => carry kills themselves. Get heart of gold and another tank item(legion isn't bad) and just face roll into a team and if they target you then your team wins the battle. If you have survivability issues your not hitting 'w' enough.

BeGentlePlz

01-23-2010

lol Rammus the worst tank? Rammus is GREAT in solo queue. Like everyone has said...Heart of gold is a great item on him...I love playing Rammus when a team only has like one caster...Sunfires+taunt+ulti...

I never tried him against skilled premades, but I'm sure he'd be fine there too.

Chthulu

01-23-2010

An Early Madred's Razer can also help your laning phase a lot.
It grants both armor and damage (so, basically, *even more* damage) and can net you some much needed farming, even in the jungle.

Late game, I find having a single offensive item is incredibly useful, and Madred's Bloodrazer is right up there.
Either way, you can always sell it, if you need other things *way* later in the game, but it's a pretty solid farming tool.

KhaoticImp

01-23-2010

never ever buy mongs for rammus. ever.
Start with cloth armor 4-5 health pots
upgrade to heart of gold *repeat if your REALLY gold starved
otherwise after your first heart of gold, grab boots
then chalice followed by ninja tabi
then thornmail if they have a a yi or twitch
Warden's mail
and if the game lasts this long force of nature, or grab force of nature early (between thornmail and chalice if needed)
most of my gold comes from assists with acouple kills more then farming minions. Last hitting is key early on. Rammus doesnt really shine until around lvl 13/thornmail. Taunt + defensive ball curl + thornmail + ult is gold. I cant count the number of twitchs/yi's I have murdered like this.

YattaRX8

01-23-2010

Have fun with carries that buy last whisper for less than 2k gold and make almost half of your armor useless

Quote:
upgrade to heart of gold *repeat if your REALLY gold starved
Also, buying a heart of gold because you're gold starved is epic stupid. It takes 32.5 minutes to pay for itself.... Yes, heart of gold's stats are nice, but it's not upgradeable and there are much better items, so getting more than one is really a waste.