Do you think that the rioters responsible for the RP events deserve more credit

Yeah! **** right they do! 52 96.30%
Nah, is fine as is. 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

[Poll] Official RP Events

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Munchlord

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2011

Ladies and Gentlement of the Lore forum. It has occured to me that while certain Rioters are working their rears off doing cool stuff for us Lore/RP enthusiasts to spend our time on when not vanquishing our foes on the fields of justice.

That's a really great thing in my oppinion, but do we really show our appreciation as much as we ought to, as a community? I don't think we do, mostly, I think this is because we don't really know how or where to do so. Hence, I decided to present you with the answer, namely here.

In the above poll, answer wether you think that the riot RP event creators deserve more credit than they get or if you think it's fine as is. If you feel like voting in favor of additional credit isn't enough, feel free to post some here as well.

-Munchy.

EDIT:

I quoted Bonez and Eredale here because they formulated stuff that I didn't know how to that relates to this. Here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Eredale View Post
I'm posting here not only because the lore events need some more recognition, which they certainly do, but to point out one more importaint issue

It is about the lore importance in the game.. Because it's the lore that makes the game feel organized and planned, and not just some random people fighting each other. One of the things which brought me to LoL was the interesting way they presented the player: not as someone who actually fights, but a more associative figure of a puppeteer who controls how the things go on the battlefield.

It really is good when you can play the game that actually has a story... Usually, in the fighting games, there isn't much focus on anything else other than polishing the gameplay, but LoL is one fighting game that actually did a kind of plot - the journal of Justice, the newcoming champions, the major events, the change of seasons...

All of it adds to the game image. I personally couldn't imagine LoL without all that - it would be another battle-arena type where some random super powered people fight each other to accomplish something for no reason. But here we have a completely different case - this world is changing, and it actually feels like it's alive. If it wasnt for that, I'd quit LoL just as I did with Dota back in the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K D Bonez View Post
When I look at a game like World of Warcraft, I see two things; the game mechanics, and the game story. Neither can live withought one another. That's why World of Warcraft is one of the leading MMOs of this generation and why F2PMMO games will only be second-rate. Yes, they have some form of story, but not as well woven as it is in World of Warcraft. You actually know why your killing those eight rats and you know why your a human, night elf, undead, or femine Blood Elf Male.

For League of Legends, it's quite the same story. It's the game mechanics, and how it interacts with the on-going lore of the game. If you simply had League of Legends as a random MOBA game, it would only look like one of the million DOTA knock-offs *cough*Hon*cough*. League of Legends has given itself it's own story, it's own "feel" I'd like to say, that seperates it from DOTA, from HoN, and elevates it to the next leve. If not for the Lore of League of Legends, I dare say it wouldn't be as popular as it is now.

So what i'm saying is that the people who are responsible for the Lore deserve as much credit as the people who are making the game. You can't pull all of this stuff out of your ass and pretend it's gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverling View Post
Anyone up for a big group hug for our Lore Rioters?

1Eredale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2011

I'm posting here not only because the lore events need some more recognition, which they certainly do, but to point out one more importaint issue

It is about the lore importance in the game.. Because it's the lore that makes the game feel organized and planned, and not just some random people fighting each other. One of the things which brought me to LoL was the interesting way they presented the player: not as someone who actually fights, but a more associative figure of a puppeteer who controls how the things go on the battlefield.

It really is good when you can play the game that actually has a story... Usually, in the fighting games, there isn't much focus on anything else other than polishing the gameplay, but LoL is one fighting game that actually did a kind of plot - the journal of Justice, the newcoming champions, the major events, the change of seasons...

All of it adds to the game image. I personally couldn't imagine LoL without all that - it would be another battle-arena type where some random super powered people fight each other to accomplish something for no reason. But here we have a completely different case - this world is changing, and it actually feels like it's alive. If it wasnt for that, I'd quit LoL just as I did with Dota back in the time.

Munchlord

02-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Eredale View Post

^ Thank you. Thank you one hell of a lot sir.

I tried to get that point into my post as well, but couldn't find a decent way to word it. Now, you made my day. Is it OK for me to quote your entire post into the OP?

K D Bonez

02-11-2011

When I look at a game like World of Warcraft, I see two things; the game mechanics, and the game story. Neither can live withought one another. That's why World of Warcraft is one of the leading MMOs of this generation and why F2PMMO games will only be second-rate. Yes, they have some form of story, but not as well woven as it is in World of Warcraft. You actually know why your killing those eight rats and you know why your a human, night elf, undead, or femine Blood Elf Male.

For League of Legends, it's quite the same story. It's the game mechanics, and how it interacts with the on-going lore of the game. If you simply had League of Legends as a random MOBA game, it would only look like one of the million DOTA knock-offs *cough*Hon*cough*. League of Legends has given itself it's own story, it's own "feel" I'd like to say, that seperates it from DOTA, from HoN, and elevates it to the next leve. If not for the Lore of League of Legends, I dare say it wouldn't be as popular as it is now.

So what i'm saying is that the people who are responsible for the Lore deserve as much credit as the people who are making the game. You can't pull all of this stuff out of your ass and pretend it's gold.

1Eredale

02-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchlord View Post
^ Thank you. Thank you one hell of a lot sir.

I tried to get that point into my post as well, but couldn't find a decent way to word it. Now, you made my day. Is it OK for me to quote your entire post into the OP?
Please, do so, if you want

Hotarukin

02-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by K D Bonez View Post
You can't pull all of this stuff out of your ass and pretend it's gold.
Cough. Spacegoats. Cough. Death Knights. Cough. :P I'm a huge fan of both (in fact, one of my main raiders for a while was a Draenei Death Knight. But they actually retconned to fit -both- in. Majorly in the former (actually changing the history of the BIG BAD) and minorly in the latter. "This would be cool. Make it work." I haven't really noticed any of that in LoL, though I'm sure at some point, the established lore will create a minor block... I feel comfortable in saying that with the people they have working on it, they'll find a way around it. Nice job, guys.

Munchlord

02-11-2011

Bonez, you earned a qouting in the OP too. I'll also update it with some more thinking of my own.

Kahzel

02-11-2011

Well, it is obvious that Official RP Events should, if not must, keep happening, just for the sole reason there's something better than playing a game, and that is being part of it. Why stick to a epic summoner that wins always, when you can still be that epic summoner, representing something that involves Valoran's unstable state as a whole, and that your actions affect the game's story?

For myself, i look first at the game's story. It wasn't the graphics or the mechanics that made me like World of Warcraft, it was the story. You know why you are <race>. You know that you have more than a few spells to learn as <class>. As you develop further into the game, it shapes and closes its gaps as you advance (yes, i think the quest system in this game is one of the best), and while League of Legends doesn't give you this, it still has its way to get you into the Lore, and encourages you to develop it. The fact that battles in the Fields f Justice are to solve issues regarding the city-states, the Journal of Justice pointing important events and answering to summoners' questions, giving a backstory for each person that is inside, and not just throwing champions randomnly. Riot has really made a potential for a great story in this. I hope they develop it further, and open the gates for a fully-designed character development.

Silverling

02-11-2011

Munchlord

02-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverling View Post
Yes, yes I am... actually, that basically sums up the point in this thread, more or less.... Quote in the OP inc.