Confused Noob- Vlad Rage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aeternum

02-11-2011

Quote:
And I suggest Banshee's for survivability. It doesn't give as much health or AP as Rylai's, but it gives you a nice shield and very nice magic resistance which helps A LOT more than most people give it credit for. As I've said before, health can't help you much if you don't have the defenses to back it up, otherwise anyone with a burst nuke/Madred's can eat up all of that HP in a matter of seconds. If you don't like Banshee's, then go for Abyssal instead. Gives some AP as well, if that would make you happy, but against a heavy casting team, it won't help as much as I would like for it to. I'd rather play it safe than be sorry.
Abyssal makes a lot more sense for Vlad; to build a Banshee's, especially if it's one of your first items, means that you really are wasting a lot of gold that could be AP. Maybe if there's a Veigar who insists on ulting you every time you drift too close, Banshee's could save your life, but even then; all that cash for less magic resistance, no AP (except what procs off of the bonus HP), and the spell shield?

I dunno; I think I'll stick to grabbing Abyssal whenever necessary. Maybe I've played Vlad too long to feel like experimenting, but something about getting any item with mana seems like a waste to me. But hey; if it works for you, grab it whenever you need . . . (also, add me so I can see you use it sometime; now I'm curious )

ChrisTopZ

02-11-2011

Play Vlad as if he is unkillable. Only then will you unlock his full potential.

HungryKarnage

02-11-2011

From what I've read, there are 2 main issues with your vlad game.

First is item build. As someone previously mentioned, its much better to stack AP rather than HP. AP gives you killing power and health, health just gives you... health really. The AP bonus is not good enough. Even if you stack purely AP items it's really easy to hit over 3k health. Stacking HP items will rarely get you past the 300 AP mark.

The second main issue is your playstyle. As already mentioned, using W aggressively is bad. Since you lose 20% of your current health everytime you use it, the more your spam, the more you actually self-harass. If you do want to harass, Q is your go-to skill. You mentioned that it has short range compared to most other mage spells, and that is true. The power behind its harass, however, is not in its range or even the damage output, but in the fact that it costs nothing, becomes more spammable as you level, and it self-heals, keeping you in the lane longer while the other mage has to retreat from the constant nibbling of health. If you are against a mage that outranges you and keeps kiting when you try to Q, let them come to you instead. Then you move forward and return the favor with Q, and self-heal with Q on the minions. Do not try using E as a spamming skill on range heroes as it's range is truly abyssmal.

R is a tough call to use. First thing, note that R cost 30% of current health, so in some 1v1 situations, it may actually be worse off to use than not. R is super effective in clumped group fights, and if you are a new Vlad player, I suggest focus on using it there only. There are other instances that become more obvious as you pratice, but for now stick it in teamfights only.

I wrote my vlad builds earlier in another Vlad post in this forum (he was asking for build ideas) not too long ago, just look around for it. There were several other builds mentioned as well, look them up for ideas.

Aeternum

02-11-2011

Quote:
R is a tough call to use. First thing, note that R cost 30% of current health, so in some 1v1 situations, it may actually be worse off to use than not. R is super effective in clumped group fights, and if you are a new Vlad player, I suggest focus on using it there only. There are other instances that become more obvious as you pratice, but for now stick it in teamfights only.
15%. 30% would be a little silly.

TehKaster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeternum View Post
But hey; if it works for you, grab it whenever you need . . . (also, add me so I can see you use it sometime; now I'm curious )
I would add you, if you could see me use it. I haven't had the need to use it in a while, to be honest. O.o

I also haven't played Vlad in quite a while. I've been on this Karma/Caitlyn kick lately, so I've been playing them a lot. >.<

BVeil for me is a very situational item. Like, if I'm doing so terribly, and I'm being targetted, etc, etc. Most of the time, Abyssal, Masteries, and possibly FoN for the spells are enough for me. But hey, if the OP is going 0-10 (or whatever. Sorry if that's inaccurate), then any suggestion helps, eh? As long as he doesn't die as often. And I think BVeil covers that for most people rather well. But you (and everyone else) are right, Abyssal/Merc Treads/FoN is the most you'll practically need to stay alive to AP Carries. AD carries, on the otherhand, are a different story. Haha. Hourglass, fo' sho'. Etc, etc.

Edit: When I DO play Vlad and use BVeil, I'll be sure to remember to come back to this thread and add you, so you can see. Or if you were talking about playing a game together where that would happen, that would be fine too. Haha

Burdennn

02-11-2011

For starting items, I would suggest boots and 3 health pots. I've tried doran's shield and ruby crystal, but starting with boots gives you the extra mobility to kite your opponents early when your Q is on cooldown. That's a pretty good advantage early on.

xSkyDrAx

02-11-2011

Item wise my build usually goes:

3x pots and boots
play defensively till about lvl 7/8/9
at the very least you should have about 2000 gold. This is ideal. More is better but try to aim for 2000.
When you have a chance at that point go back and grab sorc boots and hextech revolver. If you have some spare money grab 2 wards and a blue elixer.
If you're lvl 9 now and your opponent on mid is not malzahar or anyone that hard counters vlad you can push like crazy. Try to take down their tower or kill them for defending it. Your Q will be hitting pretty hard and it double heals w/ spell vamp.
After I finish WoTa and start working for Deathcap. After that your build should be dependent on the other team. If your team is doing well I'll go for a void staff for that extra pain and keep stacking AP items.

Also you should also aim to have q maxed out by lvl 9. Other skills lvl up as needed but always have q at 5 by lvl 9.

Like others have said dont use W to initiate unless you're keeping an enemy from running and its a guaranteed kill and you dont need to escape.

Also in team fights always aim for their squishies. Watch as they cry in horror as your Q will hit them for 1/4-1/2 their hp if they have no resists. Use Q to poke at their tank if they're just floating around inside your range and everyone is far back.

Vlad is a very very strong mid game champ and you gotta capitalize on that. Vlad does scale off a bit at the end unless you've been doing very very well.

Sacull Kinslayer

02-11-2011

Just by seeing your AP score means you are not stacking AP as others have mentioned. Pure AP. If you are having problems surviving early game use 9/21/0. This solves many of the blaring weaknesses Vlad has early game and boosts his DPS. Don't get caught looking at the mage tag and assume 9/0/21. Try it. It works. Also Hextech Revolver ---> Will of the Ancients helps your survivability early as well. And the Revolver is cheap. You can buy it and boots at 1700g-1800g depending on if you use Ionian or Sorc shoes.

Also never underestimate the power of magic penetration. Especially early game. I know a lot of "tank" builds skip it completely. And I have seen some AP builds skip it as well.

Also I would suggest reading some of the Vlad guides on Mobafire.com since they are all current and none of the ones here are.

Here is one geared towards helping newer vlads. http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...s-and-up-18177

Cerebros

02-11-2011

Just qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq for the win .
Q i mean the spell. Early game for vlad is weak until say lvl 5 when you can start spamming q. You do not have to get over aggressive.Just normal last hit creeps with q/auto atks . If you can pop a Q on the opposing champion go ahead and do so but do not go out of your way to get a single Q on him.
As many have said Pool is never to be used offensively unless your totally sure your team is backing you up or you have hourglass for when you come out of your pool.
If you go 1 v1 against someone . Q->E-> Pool for the slow and your other 2 spells cd is done and repeat.

The new cd reduction boots are best for Vlad. Rylais should be your first item since it gives some sort of CC unless your stomping then you can go for soulstealer.