Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Confused Noob- Vlad Rage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TaunkaTruck

02-10-2011

Ok, I recently bought vlad since I'm about out of champs to buy (lvl 30, playing for a year). I've played a half dozen games, and I'm about ready to rage. My last one I was 0-13-5. Believe it or not, that's my best game ever with vlad. I don't know what the hell I am doing, right or wrong.

I hit like a wet paper bag even at lvl 18. An AP teemo soloed me and lived with half health. I've tried the mobafire guides for ryjal's, tried the warmog path, I dunno. Q doesn't hit for didly, and don't live long enough to spam it.

I can W into a teamfight, and I just die that much faster since I lose more health than I vamp...even solo against 2 full creep waves I still come out with 90% health.

My E, the range is so short I'm about dead by the time I'm in range to use it. By then I am running and cant afford the health to pop it.

My R? I drop it on a group, people run back for 5 seconds, then charge in and eat my face.

Most often I Q for lifesteal, pool in with W, Q for lifesteal, E for the short range aoe, lifesteal again, and die. Last match I was against a nidalee, cassiopia, leblanc, teemo, and udyr. Even near dead they nuked me from almost full individually. Even popping ghost, I got spam slowed and hunted down.

I range anywhere from 3200-4100 health, and 100-250 ap. I hit like a wet paper bag, but cant stack AP because I die too fast. Any tips? I main morg, but at least with her I can bind, or drop aoe. I dont have to get chipped away while I get in range to touch anyone. Vlad's range is too short to be useful, and too squishy (despite the huge health pool) to get in there melee range. At least that has been my experience so far.

I've seen some pro vlads out there, but no clue how they're doing it. Everyone outranges me, and I'm frustrated beyond measure. I've read about every guide I can find, but unless it's someone near dead, I can't kill anything but creeps.

DarthTyr

02-10-2011

Whats your build, runes, masteries??

I main vlad and what i have is a bit strange:

Magic pen marks
Flat MR glyphs
Armor per lvl seals
armor per lvl quints

I have to watch out early game but with time i can get close enough to q them and not get too hurt thanks to my armor and mr, i also get 2 hextech revolvers after sorcs, so that u can get them and heal for more than they can hit, if u got hit more than normal q minions a bit and u are almost full hp again, with the revolvers u can pool under minions and get the 20% cost back easy, the thing with vlad is that u need to q them fast and hit them with ur e always, u will heal more than they can damage (unless u get focused), after the revolvers get rylais (belt first) and then rabadons, the last item is situational, and if u get it u can sell a revolver, upgrade to a will of ancients ( if u havent) and get another situational item, in late game only the squichies will fall easy, but u can fight almost anyone if have done well.

And dont w into a fight, thats the last thing u do unless u are hp vlad, ur w is for stalling, escaping ganks and enabling ganks, ur combo should always be r-q-e-w-q-e.

TehKaster

02-10-2011

From what I've seen new Vlad players do, and I am, by no means, a pro-Vlad, but I do have a few suggestions.

If you're stacking something, stacking AP is better than stacking Health. It scales better. Having 4k health, and only 150 AP is puny, puny damage. Also, Vlad is NOT a tank, unless you build him that way, and if you do, you'll have no AP. So, no, for people who call him a tank, he is NOT one. Get that through your heads. He's a tanky caster because of his relatively high HP from his passive, from getting AP, but he lacks so much to be called a tank. /endrant

Anyway, back on track. Have you tried getting any defensive items on him? Warmog's is not good enough. HP is useless if you don't have Magic Resist or Armor. So getting BVeil or Hourglass or Abyssal Scepter helps so much.

Another thing to learn is when to use your W. Do not use it except for escaping purposes, unless it's a 1v1 and you are 100% SURE that you can kill him. Because of the CD on that thing, especially for 18, is so long that chances are, when you need it the most, it's not there. So I'd advise you to save it for escaping purposes. Pop Ghost, and THEN use W, that way, they can't target you to slow you, etc. Always Q. It should always be on CD, since at lvl 5, you should have it at ~1sec CD. Spam it ALL. THE. TIME. Kay, done there. Ult at the beginning of a group fight. And try not to ult a single champ, if necessary.

I usually go 9/21/0, and my SS are Ignite and Ghost.

Items are suggested as such:

Start with Ruby Crystal
Finish Spirit Visage
Sorc/Merc/CDR boots (whichever the moment calls for)
(In any order, and pick the one that helps the most in your specific situation)
Abyssal Scepter
BVeil
Hourglass
Deathcap
Rylai's, etc.

Oh, and early game, play defensively and last hit. LAST HIT. Cause your Q's CD is so long, harassing won't be too easy.

I hope I've helped any.

Best of luck.

Peace out.

Aeternum

02-10-2011

Alrighty; let's explore some things here, shall we?

Right off the bat, I've gotta put this out there. W is not a spell for offense from full health. Ever. 20% of your health is simply not a legitimate cost for an initiation move. W is an escape, or a way to dodge that crucial snare/root coming your way. Please never, never use W to enter a fight. The damage is negligible, and you're asking to be devoured after you pop back out, since you've blown your escape.

To start, don't treat your Q as a harass tool. Use it to last hit, or maybe punish the other guy if they stray too close. Otherwise, stay back until level 9, when your Q becomes spammable.

E? Use it when the creeps are all around you, but not too much; the cost gets high fast. Keep an eye on the counter; it'll show you when you're paying twice as much per cast as before. Don't run in to use it, at least not early game. Late game, when you've got Rabadon's and Rylai's, you can use it to clear whole creep spawns. Until then, it isn't really a seriously powerful tool without practice. Play careful, and you'll start to see when the ability is more useful.

R? Drop this during teamfights, unless you're sure you'll get the kill on the poor guy you're laning against. In teamfights, that extra damage will make your carries look like gods while netting you some assists or kills. Dropping it alone? Unless you're so fed as to be untouchable, I wouldn't try it.

As for hitting like a wet paper bag, I can't suggest my build as ideal, but it seems to work for me. Grab boots and health pots, and focus on staying safe and last-hitting with Q. It keeps you alive, and you can still punish the other guy if you feel safe landing the hit before he can retaliate. I normally rush Rylai's, since it makes your Q a truly fearsome ability, and gives you both HP and AP.

Come level 9, you are one of the more frightening heroes out there. Your Q is spammable, and, if you've been farming carefully, you at least have your sorc's shoes and any two elements of Rylai's. You can now start to be a little more aggressive, Q->E and then back away a bit, rinse, repeat.

Alternatively, you can build Spirit Visage and Will of the Ancients to maximize your healing. If you're getting punished by Twitch or Teemo (and their associated f***ing poisons) then this might be a better route to take.

But, come level 9, you should be ready to start moving around with your team. It's important to have Rylai's at that point so you can Q someone for the damage and the slow, making it wasier for your team to focus that unhappy soul.

Anyway; I can't claim that my Vlad build it ideal, but it seems to work for me (most games, anyway )

tl;dr : Slow down, play careful until level 9, and focus on Rylai's and Sorc's Shoes.

Aeternum

02-10-2011

Quote:
Always Q. It should always be on CD, since at lvl 5, you should have it at ~1sec CD. Spam it ALL. THE. TIME. Kay, done there.

I really wish this was accurate. I really, really do. Maybe it is, and I'm behind a patch or two, but at level 9, Q hovers around 3-ish seconds. Still spammable, but not as ungodly as Karthus' Lay Waste.

As for Banshee's Veil, please, please, please examine the stats. You're paying a lot for that mana that you should probably sink into Rylai's first.

TaunkaTruck

02-10-2011

I appriciate the tips and advice, you've given me some good ideas. I noticed the vamp on W, so I use it quite frequently, though that is probably one of my issues. I ended up being forced mid last game against a heimer. I just danced around hitting him with q whenever able and driving him back some with W. It worked out ok, except my team were jerks (suprising in solo queue, I know -.- ). I was called the worst vlad ever when we surrendered with me 2-4-0. I've got a lot to learn, but I'll give your ideas a shot, play with those build items you suggested, and leave W alone.

Last game I was told to max Q and W (by the same people calling me bad), so used them in equal measure since I assumed max W meant it was a useful thing to attack with :S Oh well, I'll see how I do next match. Keep the ideas coming, they make playing vlad a little more bearable lol

Aluxra

02-10-2011

I am by no means a Vlad expert and due to my level, Im probably not the best person to hand out advice.

I've never had too much trouble with him unless Im focused down and Im generally against level 30's (I may be lvl 18 but my friends are lvl 30 so the arranged team sticks me in high lvl matches)

Anyways, I always try to max out Q first, its one of his best attacks after that I max out W because of its tower dive (only if your sure about the kill obv) and escape uses, if your alone in your lane with no enemies it can be uses as an efficient creep wave killer. I only grab Tides of Blood after getting Ulti, unless I find Im doing rather well and need it to get that last little bit of damage.

I can't give alot of advice about items. Have you tried force of nature?

TehKaster

02-10-2011

Quote:
Aeternum:
I really wish this was accurate. I really, really do. Maybe it is, and I'm behind a patch or two, but at level 9, Q hovers around 3-ish seconds. Still spammable, but not as ungodly as Karthus' Lay Waste.

As for Banshee's Veil, please, please, please examine the stats. You're paying a lot for that mana that you should probably sink into Rylai's first.

When I said level 5, I mean 5 of the skill. Haha, oops. I should have clarified. As for the CD being that low, it is 3 seconds without any form of CDR, and with Spirit Visage, the possibility of CDR boots, Blue Buff, and masteries, at 40% CDR, it is 1.8 seconds. Sorry about the wrong information from before, I didn't do the math all the way, I was being lazy.

And I suggest Banshee's for survivability. It doesn't give as much health or AP as Rylai's, but it gives you a nice shield and very nice magic resistance which helps A LOT more than most people give it credit for. As I've said before, health can't help you much if you don't have the defenses to back it up, otherwise anyone with a burst nuke/Madred's can eat up all of that HP in a matter of seconds. If you don't like Banshee's, then go for Abyssal instead. Gives some AP as well, if that would make you happy, but against a heavy casting team, it won't help as much as I would like for it to. I'd rather play it safe than be sorry.

Thoughts?

corallein

02-10-2011

The only reason to pool in is when you need the slow to help your team guarantee the kill and you're reasonably sure you won't need it to survive in the next few seconds.

Team fights should be about dropping your ult on as many people as possible, running in and hitting Q on cooldown against their most dangerous squishy that you can reach, hitting E when Q is on CD, and pooling out the second you're in danger (ie. when they turn to focus you).

Vlad isn't a tank, and he needs damage to do his job - which means building up his AP. Rylai's is good because it gives both AP and health and turns Q into a spammable slow. Deathcap is good because it's buttloads of AP. Zhonya's gives you two pools in a row (pool -> Zhonya's -> pool). Your job is to do damage and then annoy the heck out of the enemy by going untargetable, or continue doing damage and make them pay for ignoring you.

Edit: Also, Banshee's is not as generally useful on Vlad, since he can pool many of the dangerous spells that Banshee's is often purchased against. This is in addition to the mana being useless and Zhonya's being awesome and usually enough for Vlad's survivability.

ZXPrototype

02-10-2011

Pool is your escape mechanism, never use it for the damage. (maybe on a tower dive but thats it) use it to GET AWAY from a teamfight, never to fight a 5v5 or 4v4.