Misconceptions on the Laning Phase

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

E Nomine

02-10-2011

Personally I don't give the laning phase a level range or even a specific amount of time. I define the laning phase as the amount of time it takes for your specific lane to take down the first turret. That can be the first 10 minutes or even up until the rest of your team meeds you to help out at mid.

I have had games where I downed the first turret soon after getting my ult and others where it ended at about level 10. It all depends on how well you and your teammate (unless your soloing) work together to take out the opponents, eliminate creep, and bring down the first turret.

The way I see it is that as long as you get the first turret, the rest of the game for you is all over the map whether that be ganking mid or bringing down other lanes.

Mordiford

02-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemX View Post
That's the exact mentality that I would like people to get away from.(whats in bold)

If you have a stun or slow, with 3 people. that enemy with flash is going to die. But lets say they don't and make it back to tower with 10% health. When creeps come you all tower dive, one probably will die but now you have 2 people pushing mid with creeps with no one there, cause you know no one is going to leave there lane to cover mid...

Every time I take mid tower in under 10 minutes is usually a quick victory.
And where is the rest of this player's team the entire time? Doing their laundry?

He gets low, uses flash, goes back to base. His team sends two people to defend a tower, or one person if you let someone die to finish off that kill. Now you have 3 people out of gold and a majority of experience and the opposing team has 3 people getting more gold and experience per person.

You also won't get that tower if the opponents are decent.

Your strategy of going balls out is high risk low reward and at higher levels of play it's almost no reward since the opposing team will always counter it with ease. It's easy to escape early and it's easy for one or two players to defend against three or four players at a tower. You dedicate your whole team to a lane? They send three people and defend it, you lose two lanes, you get one lane.

Miles Long

02-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLumber View Post
I'm glad you posted this here, as this is easily one of the largest misconceptions on laning I've seen ever (not common, but there is a lot in this post that is wrong).
It's too bad you don't realize how wrong you are about that.

Oh well, most of you LoL'ers didn't come from DotA it seems. None of you really know what a balanced laning phase is.

Believe what you like, I know I'm not wrong. All I have to do to know is play LoL.

Mordiford

02-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Long View Post

Oh well, most of you LoL'ers didn't come from DotA it seems. None of you really know what a balanced laning phase is.

Believe what you like, I know I'm not wrong. All I have to do to know is play LoL.
Well... saying "I know I'm right, you're wrong" isn't really a compelling argument.

Alright then, continue playing LoL your way. You won't learn much with that mentality though.

TandemX

02-10-2011

'His team sends two people to defend a tower"

This never happens pre level 6. at least from what I've seen.

Edit* I have to catch a plane, I won't be able to respond for a couple of hours, so I apologize if anyone continues the argument and is waiting for a response.

Mordiford

02-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemX View Post
'His team sends two people to defend a tower"

This never happens pre level 6. at least from what I've seen.
It will happen at higher levels of play, if a team simply lets a tower fall because they're low level and there are 3 people in mid then they are bad players.

Against good players, one person will be enough to cover the lane against opposing pushers and that player is now getting more experience, your two players are getting less experience. You lost a player, the opposing team lost a player. Overall, it'll generally be an advantageous event for them.

This mentality only works if the other team doesn't work, well in that case you're basically saying "Push and if the other team doesn't defend, you'll win"... Yes, if the other team doesn't defend you'll win the lane, but generally they should be defending and when they do you'll be at a disadvantage.

Incineration

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Long View Post

LoL's laning phase is fine. I'm sorry that you can't take off your rose tinted glasses, but what the guy before you said is true. Farming is king in LoL.

Mordiford

02-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disolve View Post
LoL's laning phase is fine. I'm sorry that you can't take off your rose tinted glasses, but what the guy before you said is true. Farming is king in LoL.
I don't think LoL's laning phase is fine to be honest...

It's a 10 minute snore-fest and both DotA and HoN(HoN in particular) have a more exciting and active laning phase.

I think a future change to Flash may have an effect though.