Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Misconceptions on the Laning Phase

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TandemX

02-10-2011

I feel that a lot of players have this mentality that you have to stay in your lane levels 1-10 and if the other team starts grouping up its time to end laning.

Do you think the team that starts pushing earlier as a team (wins most of the time)?

Do you think that there is no such thing as a laning phase, and if you have a CC ability why not try to help gank lanes with jungle levels 4-7 ?

I understand that farming and getting experience is important, but don't you think doing 1v4 on mid at level 4 and taking it at 7 minutes is way more beneficial then playing Tag in your lane hoping you won't scare a low hp enemy away till your CD's come back?

Thoughts?

Mordiford

02-10-2011

Early in the game, there is just no point to ganking because of the ample escape mechanics early on(I'm looking at you Flash). If you miss a gank, you just wasted a lot of time and set yourself back quite a lot.

It's much safer to simply stay in lane and farm creeps and it's much easier to wait for a chance to drop an outer tower...

Basically, level 1 to 10 is dull and boring by design. There is little activity and basically no point in trying to kill someone because it's so easy to get away. Why waste time?

4 of you go mid to try and take that tower? The opposing team sends 1 person and 2 people effectively hold the tower because at level 4, the tower kills you in 4 hits. The rest of the team farms. Congratulations, you're now far behind.

Xsithos

02-10-2011

Quote:
Mordiford:
Early in the game, there is just no point to ganking because of the ample escape mechanics early on(I'm looking at you Flash). If you miss a gank, you just wasted a lot of time and set yourself back quite a lot.

It's much safer to simply stay in lane and farm creeps and it's much easier to wait for a chance to drop an outer tower...

Basically, level 1 to 10 is dull and boring by design. There is little activity and basically no point in trying to kill someone because it's so easy to get away. Why waste time?

4 of you go mid to try and take that tower? The opposing team sends 1 person and 2 people effectively hold the tower because at level 4, the tower kills you in 4 hits. The rest of the team farms. Congratulations, you're now far behind.

so true, so true.

I agree completely.

IS1ebe60507d910496d5f37

02-10-2011

The laning phase is over once people start going for dragon or the first tower goes down. Dragon promotes team fights now that it takes much longer for most junglers to solo him, and once a tower goes down the lane that took the tower is going to start roaming a lot more.

Until one of those two things happen everyone but your jungler should be happily farming their lanes.

Sangheneili

02-10-2011

A flash push mid is only good if it pays off, and it often doesnt.
Turrets are so strong early game that it only takes 2-3 players
to stop a whole team. Meanwhile the 2 side lanes can continue to farm
as solos, while Mid xp is split up.

This creates and exponential gap in lvls, imagine you were 1v1 top with Xin.
You all push mid, by the time you come back 2-3min later he is level 5 and you are lvl2.
And an easy kill for him.

This is an example scenario but you see my point.

kthnxbai

Recruiter

02-10-2011

early ganks from a taric, poppy, or blitzcrank are absolutely devastating. i don't know what game you're talking about

Miles Long

02-10-2011

Quote:
TandemX:
I feel that a lot of players have this mentality that you have to stay in your lane levels 1-10 and if the other team starts grouping up its time to end laning.

Do you think the team that starts pushing earlier as a team (wins most of the time)?

Do you think that there is no such thing as a laning phase, and if you have a CC ability why not try to help gank lanes with jungle levels 4-7 ?

I understand that farming and getting experience is important, but don't you think doing 1v4 on mid at level 4 and taking it at 7 minutes is way more beneficial then playing Tag in your lane hoping you won't scare a low hp enemy away till your CD's come back?

Thoughts?

The North American meta is bad to the point of making the nearly nonexistent laning phase even more pointless. If even one lane has a bad match up you're better off grouping up to ease the stress on the weak link(s).

When your team consists of laners against a team of little to no CC, it's better to play a pushing game and mass HP/mitigation and to a slightly lesser extent, regen. I see it over and over and over again.

Since the point of the game is to destroy the enemy base via pushing, not ganking to pad your irrelevant k/d/a, then yes, sometimes the team that pushes better will win. Unfortunately, LoL is very poorly balanced, so in games where you can gain a ganking advantage, you generally should group up and grief the enemy team into submission. Ideally, this could be countered with tactical laning and key ganks which would remove gold from enemy players. But wait, no gold less on death. Hmmm...

What it boils down to is that with no gold penalty, the best stat to snowball isn't a stat, it's your primary resource: Gold. And what do you know? The best way to get gold and ensure a stomp is to kill enemy players.

The laning phase hasn't mattered in LoL since launch and it's slowly destroying this game. So yes, the idea that you should be ganking if you have CC is right on the money.

It's pretty disgusting how one dimensional most LoL games are.

MrLumber

02-10-2011

Quote:
Miles Long:
The North American meta is bad to the point of making the nearly nonexistent laning phase even more pointless. If even one lane has a bad match up you're better off grouping up to ease the stress on the weak link(s).

When your team consists of laners against a team of little to no CC, it's better to play a pushing game and mass HP/mitigation and to a slightly lesser extent, regen. I see it over and over and over again.

Since the point of the game is to destroy the enemy base via pushing, not ganking to pad your irrelevant k/d/a, then yes, sometimes the team that pushes better will win. Unfortunately, LoL is very poorly balanced, so in games where you can gain a ganking advantage, you generally should group up and grief the enemy team into submission. Ideally, this could be countered with tactical laning and key ganks which would remove gold from enemy players. But wait, no gold less on death. Hmmm...

What it boils down to is that with no gold penalty, the best stat to snowball isn't a stat, it's your primary resource: Gold. And what do you know? The best way to get gold and ensure a stomp is to kill enemy players.

The laning phase hasn't mattered in LoL since launch and it's slowly destroying this game. So yes, the idea that you should be ganking if you have CC is right on the money.

I'm glad you posted this here, as this is easily one of the largest misconceptions on laning I've seen ever (not common, but there is a lot in this post that is wrong).

The best way to get gold and ensure a stomp is TO FARM. Ya I know that's weird, but 15 creep kills roughly equates to a PK. So when you group up to go gank, and let that carry freefarm for 4 minutes, they could be gaining significantly more gold than your little squad is. This also means that 15 minutes you spend in lane will have an enormous impact on mid-late game. In general, lane phase is actually what decides the game.

Also, killing the enemy team IS in fact a way for causing your opponent to lose gold, for two reasons. One, they will be unable to farm, hence loss of gold. Two, you will be allowed to complete objectives far more easily, granting you greater map control and easier ganks.

I'm not sure why you think LoL is poorly balanced tbh. Nearly every champ is viable commonly, and only a few are there for niche only positions, with no champ being an automatic must pick, not even Rammus.

TandemX

02-10-2011

Quote:
Mordiford:

That's the mentality that I am questioning here, this idea safety and passiveness that can actually lose you the game.

If you have a stun or slow, with 3 people. that enemy with flash is going to die. But lets say they don't and make it back to tower with 10% health. When creeps come you all tower dive, one probably will die but now you have 2 people pushing mid with creeps with no one there, cause you know no one is going to leave there lane to cover mid...

Every time I take mid tower in under 10 minutes is usually a quick victory.

SavageMinnow

02-10-2011

Quote:
Miles Long:

The laning phase hasn't mattered? Since you're using anecdotal evidence, I certainly can too - the laning phase has decided more games than I care to count. If the jungler on one team gets a couple of ganks and the enemy jungler doesn't, the tone of the game is set massively in the favor of that team. Though not impossible, it turns a 50/50 game in to a 75/25 game almost immediately. If even one of the lanes gets crushed, by the time roaming and teamfights start to happen, the fed enemy from that lane often goes on a rampage, tearing through 2 to 4 players in every fight unless shut down immediately upon initiation.