Master Yi...does he need a buff?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sleepnaught

02-10-2011

Yi owns but his W is clunky and only really effective with AP builds.

Urr

02-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdadd View Post
Thornmail doesn't counter yi. Just get some MR (i.e. banshees) and thornmail will do almost nothing.
It does counter most yi's because the damage it deals back cuts out the lifesteal he needs to survive fights, it is not as effective against him as it is for other champs, however all that armor cuts his damage way down too.
Without it, you need to worry about him, with it, you can focus another champ first and still take him down

kyoryukaku

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-10-2011

yeah, yi doesn't need a buff, he's way very good as he's now. and btw "any cc can shut him down", dude, he deals more dmg than any other physycal dmg carry, it's jussurvavility what you need to give him, so...what about using CLEANSE???? QUICKSILVER SASH??

Bandel

02-10-2011

What you need to understand is that not every champion needs some sort of CC. Master Yi's power lies in his melee attack. If you fail to gear properly in order to survive then that is your own problem. There is nothing wrong with him.

ldfhndfjkndh

02-10-2011

@kyorukaku
Tryndamere and Olaf both do way more damage. Other carries like Xin Zhao and Jax may not match up damage, but make up for it with their useful cc's. Tristana and Sivir put out as much damage as Yi, but from a safe distance. All carries have a certain quality about them that makes them viable. Yi is too bland. Also, I hope you realize all it TAKES is that split second for you to click on Clenase/Quiksilver for all 5 enemies to unleash their whole load on you. They're both fine on Tryndamere, due to Endless Rage, but since 100% of Yi's survivability lies in his offense, any Yi not attacking is a dead Yi.

@Bandel
I'm sure you've gone through situations where you were forced to chase an enemy across the map to kill him? Xin Zhao just needs a quick knockup to neutralize his enemy on the spot, Olaf just needs a slow. Yi? Notice how there's always that split second of chasing between attacks? Since he has no trapping skill, even if a Yi has 2.5 attack speed, he might not even get in 2 attacks per second since he wastes time chasing.

@Superdadd
...Really? Thornmail GREATLY punishes any autoattacking dps. When a Yi is critting you for 600, he's taking 200 damage in return. And even if he has enough lifesteal to counterbalance the recoil, it'll just make him that much easier to kill.

Everyone else has brought up good points.

Yi is no doubt an amazing backdoorer, if not the best. But what's the point of pushing the enemy's top outer turret, when your team just lost a 4v5 because their carry was farming and now the enemy is pushing your inhib turret?

Most other carries have either incredible burst or some kind of cc to disable the enemy cc/squishy and take him out immediately. Yi can't do that. He may have the highest sustained dps in the game, and while on paper that may sound good, in practice it really just doesn't do much.

Addison16

02-10-2011

I didn't read all the post, but late round he gets 70 to 105 attack damage from his abilitites and 80% attack speed. If you add in that his passive basically increases his base attack speed by 1/8, then I don't see how they can buff him without him becoming op (or extreamly annoying at going bd).

Doc201

02-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldfhndfjkndh View Post
Most other carries have either incredible burst or some kind of cc to disable the enemy cc/squishy and take him out immediately. Yi can't do that. He may have the highest sustained dps in the game, and while on paper that may sound good, in practice it really just doesn't do much.
Comparing him to other melee carries is just stupid, imo they have vastly different roles.

Xin dashes into a 5v5, ults, starts the autoattack-TTS-DPSfest from there, and due to his ult's +arm/mr and tankiness (+a bit of passive) he won't get instagibbed.

Olaf, same thing, goes in, ults, and no CC can stop him.

Yi's different. He has no dmg/CC mitigation whatsoever, so if you run into the middle of a 5v5 like you do with Xin/Olaf, you WILL die in a second, but that's not what you should be doing with him in the first place.

Picking people off one by one (or 2by2) is his specialty, that neither Olaf nor Xin can do THAT well.
Ghost+Youmuus+ult? ~600ms anyone?
With red buff that's a death sentence to anyone who has no stun/snare.
Even if they have, you will usually just catch up to them after that measly ~2sec stun.

So yes, they're all melee carries, but imo they fill totally different roles, and that's why Yi doesn't need anything to survive in a straight 5v5.
If he had some mitigation, he would be not just OP, but ZOMGWTFBBQ!!1 OP in picking people off alone, because they would have NO chance to fight back effectively.
Now they do because he's squishy and can be burst down.

Imagine him with +50arm/mr or CC immunity/reduction.
Scary huh.

OutlawStarx2

02-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldfhndfjkndh View Post
Seriously. He has absolutely no CC, and ANY form of CC (other than slow ofc) can shut him down just like that. Even something as simple as a Randuin's active can shut him down, as he needs to do damage to survive, as I will go more into later.

You are supposed to quiver with fear, and soak in your own sweat, when you see the enemy carry storm in with blade up and head high. Whenever I see a Yi come my way, I tell my team to fck off so I can net me a free kill.

He needs to do way more damage than any other carry to even have any sort of presence in a team fight. A typical Yi is squishy, but survives through either lifesteal, or killing all his enemies before they can deplete his meager 2.5k health (assuming you're not an idiot and get health items). He DEPENDS on kills to be able to keep going...let's say he gets ks'd before he even kills the first person, his Highlander runs out, and now he's no more dangerous than a Ryze with Infinity Edge and Phantom Dancers (then again, Ryze actually has a CC). In short, he's probably the WORST carry in the game.

Even our other sub-par carry friend Jax has defense built into his build, for an offensive purpose, and has a stun.

I love Yi, but the problem is, he's utterly worthless against teams with CC, but is ltierally invincible against teams that don't. I feel like he needs a buff, but that would make him completely OP in lower level games, as players have difficulty countering champions indiviually.

Should he recieve a buff? It's a shame to see a champ only viable in low, low level play.

And I don't care what any of you hipsters say, AP Yi sucks. It's a gimmicky build thought up by the same bored kids who made such "effective" builds such as AP Kog Maw and DPS Nunu. So don't even bring that junk into the discussion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB3coG_FjvE

Doc201

02-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawStarx2 View Post
Say something constructive instead, bc imo the guy is mainly right about him kthx.

OutlawStarx2

02-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc201 View Post
Say something constructive instead, bc imo the guy is right about him kthx.
I would normally say something constructive, but Yi is one of the easiest champions to use with one of the highest DPSs in the game, and he is also one of the fastest champs as well.

so go QQ moar, every champ can be stunned, and it's a real pain to deal with, it doesn't make Yi under powered.