Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Master Yi...does he need a buff?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ldfhndfjkndh

02-09-2011

Seriously. He has absolutely no CC, and ANY form of CC (other than slow ofc) can shut him down just like that. Even something as simple as a Randuin's active can shut him down, as he needs to do damage to survive, as I will go more into later.

You are supposed to quiver with fear, and soak in your own sweat, when you see the enemy carry storm in with blade up and head high. Whenever I see a Yi come my way, I tell my team to fck off so I can net me a free kill.

He needs to do way more damage than any other carry to even have any sort of presence in a team fight. A typical Yi is squishy, but survives through either lifesteal, or killing all his enemies before they can deplete his meager 2.5k health (assuming you're not an idiot and get health items). He DEPENDS on kills to be able to keep going...let's say he gets ks'd before he even kills the first person, his Highlander runs out, and now he's no more dangerous than a Ryze with Infinity Edge and Phantom Dancers (then again, Ryze actually has a CC). In short, he's probably the WORST carry in the game.

Even our other sub-par carry friend Jax has defense built into his build, for an offensive purpose, and has a stun.

I love Yi, but the problem is, he's utterly worthless against teams with CC, but is ltierally invincible against teams that don't. I feel like he needs a buff, but that would make him completely OP in lower level games, as players have difficulty countering champions indiviually.

Should he recieve a buff? It's a shame to see a champ only viable in low, low level play.

And I don't care what any of you hipsters say, AP Yi sucks. It's a gimmicky build thought up by the same bored kids who made such "effective" builds such as AP Kog Maw and DPS Nunu. So don't even bring that junk into the discussion.

SalsaRoja

02-09-2011

My main is Yi, and I am here to tell you that he DOES have CC - they call it Lizard Buff and/or Frozen Mallet (and you shouldn't be getting Frozen Mallet, by the way, unless you have a team with no CC - in which case, you will more than likely lose if you don't ambush together).

The main way I've gotten kills lately is to push a lane all the way up to the turret. Then I will hide in the bushes that the enemy will be passing through to get to their turret. As soon as they pass by, I exhaust them, pop Highlander and Wuju Style, and watch CRITICALs pop.
I also keep an eye out. If I see more than one dude going down to the turret, I usually won't attack unless I'm fed.

Anyway, if you're facing more than one stunner (Sion and Annie, for example), get Merc Treads and/or QS. Otherwise, stick with your team as you should. Yi puts out as much damage as he can easily take.

I must also mention that I run smiteless Jungle Yi for the extra ganking potential Ghost+Exhaust gives. Smite's cool for 4 levels only.

xPinokio

02-10-2011

Master Yi, like Tristina and Sivir, is a great "backdoor" champion given that he has a great escaping mechanism - his movement speed. Most of the Yi I've seen focuses on jungling and farming in the early game, which allows him to stack up on great items for the late game. The strategy for him is usually take down enemy's turrets while your teammates are having a 4v5 fight. Even though you're not much of a team player, destroying 1-2 towers is much more important than getting 1-2 kills.

Magnus BigBang

02-10-2011

i think yi is fine where he is. for the longest time i thought yi was really weak and that I could just **** on him. apparently ive been playing against bad yi's because ive been ****ting on peoples lives left to right with him. all my games with him this week have had positive scores, high damage output, lots of buildings destroyed and many crying opposing enemy carry QQs.

I honestly thought he was only good at lower elos cuz people dont know how to deal with him but he is a beast. he doesnt need kills per say to get rolling because he farms like mad and when hes at a good enough point in his build he just roflstomps everyone.

i dunno how ive been doing so well with him but I think its a combination of knowing when and who to target once the fight starts as well as knowing when to bd and when to start helping your team through map awareness.

there was a scenario earlier this week where I abused alpha strike so hard tower diving the other team.
pop e, hit ultimate, alpha into battle, rape squishy, repeat
I feel alpha strike is way more annoying than vlads pool in terms of the invincibility that comes with it because you can pull it off a few times in quick sucession.

i think yi should be left alone.

Superdadd

02-10-2011

Ya the single most important skill for a good Yi player is to know when to engage in battle. You must wait until all AOE/CC has been used, then pounce into the fight and roll face.

He's still squishy but he tears **** up if played right.

If you just Q-in and get blown up but take 1 person down with you, you are playing him very wrong. You could have accomplished SO much more. Yi should wait until the teamfight starts (say it's head-on-head mid-river), then pop ghost, flank around from behind (or anywhere they likely won't expect you coming from), then pop ER, Q on their carry and drop it. 1-2 of your teammates may already have died, but with everyone's main abilities on cooldown, you will rip through their team, come out alive after, and solo down 2-3 towers.

Yi plays slightly selfish (letting your team fight 4v5 for a few seconds), but if he doesn't, he just gets blown up and isn't there after the ace. It's SO important for Yi to survive post-ace so that he can drop towers.

Risky Umbrella

02-10-2011

Yi Deffinitely does not need a buff, Every carry depends on kills lol. consider maybe making more damage instead of working on that 2.5k health. Yi is one of the champions who is a good burst damage. he is best early game with a good CC, or other melee champ. Many times have I had a game were the other teams Yi was fed. and unlike everyone else with stacks. no matter how much you kill yi... he will still be strong. not like kat with the Soulstealer stacks. plus a good yi knows when to use meditate. a few early levels of that can let you litterally meditate while you buddy hacks away at there life as they try in vain to kill you, just for you to alpha strike and get a double kill

Grovel

02-10-2011

Quote:
xPinokio:
Master Yi, like Tristina and Sivir, is a great "backdoor" champion given that he has a great escaping mechanism - his movement speed. Most of the Yi I've seen focuses on jungling and farming in the early game, which allows him to stack up on great items for the late game. The strategy for him is usually take down enemy's turrets while your teammates are having a 4v5 fight. Even though you're not much of a team player, destroying 1-2 towers is much more important than getting 1-2 kills.

This, Yi is your backdoor man.

Urr

02-10-2011

yi is in a decent spot, his skills are countered by thornmail and stuns, it happens.
also, he gets double and triple kills pretty easily so long as you time it right since Highlander refreshes and you can 1v1 most champs and get high health at the end with good use of Alpha strike and meditation

Superdadd

02-10-2011

Thornmail doesn't counter yi. Just get some MR (i.e. banshees) and thornmail will do almost nothing.

Doc201

02-10-2011

Yi is already OP below lvl20, he does not need a buff.

I play him all the time on my smurf, and people just don't seem to notice that the only thing that stops him is CC.
They keep trying to outdamage him in 1v1, 2v1, they wander off alone / in small teams with little CC, and ofc they think he's OP when he runs up to that MF&Ashe with 500ms and doubleroflstomps them before they can say wtf.

In ranked he is a VERY niche pick, i.e. if the enemy team is dumb enough not to pack hard CC, you lastpick Yi and win. Otherwise he's useless (the average Yi player that is).

To be effective, Yi either has to
1. be killing constantly to keep his cds up
2. needs to tank some dmg with mediate

Both of his roles are 100% shut down by only one, ONE stun, then he becomes a free kill.

So vs today's CC-heavy teams, Yi might seem UP to you, but he's just not designed to lane vs a Taric-Sion combo (nice rotation btw -.-), whereas if the opposition has little / unreliable CC, he will stomp them.