ability power zilean build help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drac0nis

02-15-2010

The goal of AP Zilean is to provide solid early to mid game harassment and ideally capitalize on some early kills. It's a lot more aggressive than a support build which focuses on speed control of enemy and friendly champions. You want to nail down kills early on to have an item advantage for mid to late game. Mid game when you move out of the laning phase, you should be able to damage enemy carries quite effectively from far away and allow your teammates to quickly finish them off. Here's my AP build.

Items:
Doran's Ring + HP potions: Gives excellent AP but most importantly health. You will be taking extraneous damage from minions and you will be focused fired on in the event of an early engagement.
Kage's Pick: This cheap items is part of your Deathfire Grip item. Getting it early will allow the item to pay for itself mid game. It also provides you with a decent amount of AP.
Boots: Just the regular ones for now. Gives you increased speed so you can Timewarp yourself, Bomb, Rewind, Bomb for the hurt hero that's running away.
Fiendish Codex: Again part of your Deathfire Grip build. Provides more AP and CD reduction (10%). This starts to matter more mid game where 3v3s or 5v5s are more common and you will need to utilize multiple bombs.
Finish Sorc boots or Build Deathfire Grip: If you build Deathfire, be sure to put it in a slot you can easily reach (1 or 2). You can left click and drag items in your inventory now which is awesome. Your lead off should be Time Warp, Deathfire, Bomb, Rewind, Bomb. Try to get these skills off as quick as possible.

By now you should have Dorans Ring, DeathfireGrip, Sorc Boots.

Evaluate how well you are doing. Are you getting killed a lot? It may be wise to go support instead and pick up aegis. Are you leading in kills? Meja's may be a the way to go. Are they stacking MR? Then go Void Staff. Mana problems? Go Zhonya's. Other casters in your team doing well (like Fiddle)? Go Abyssal Staff.

Other stuff
For summoner spells I go Ignite + Clarity. Again this is for early lane control and being able to stay in the lane without running out of mana. For Runes I go Magic Penetration, AP, CD reduction. The Magic Penetration early on is especially useful since players rarely stack this early on. Masteries I go 10/0/20 for improved ignite. 21 pt utility is awfully nice but clarity is on a quick CD anyways and you get 10AP for Ignite on CD so its not all that necessary.

FeLpZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2010

im at about 52% wins, so a fairly average elo, and the first time i used it i got a 13 win streak, and i usually get no more than 4.

ghost(optional)+flash(necessary)

amplifying tome + health potion --> mejai --> sorc boots --> zonyha --> then from there i usually get more ap or health depending on how its going. Any other way and you are wasting zileans ridiculous burst damage potential(end game i hit for 900 if i have stacks, x2 and you got 1800 damage within 1 second).

please dont listen to the above poster at least, terrible item build(sorc boots last, wtf??), and ****ty summoner abilities(ignite? LOL!)

xahhfink6

02-16-2010

Gah... I am seeing so much fail at the point of AP zilean. Yes, glacial shroud is good, but for SUPPORT zilean. Also, someone said that survivability is more important than damage on zil, so why is it that every set is not running MERCURY TREADS. I cannot stress this item enough for zilean. IF YOU ARE NOT STUNNED, YOU CANNOT DIE. Mercury treads need to be on every zilean build, no questions asked.

As far as items for lots of damage, I start with Tome+Pot, turn the tome into Kage's, for money and AP, then buy Tear of the Goddess, then (usually) Mejais Soulstealer, then Fiendish Codex, then my Mercury treads, then turn the tear into archangel's staff, then deathfire's grasp. Then, if my mejais is not maxed, I will by haunting guise, then zhonya's ring.

My runes are Blue: MPen, Yellow: Mana Regen/5, Blue + Quints: Flat AP. Its pretty powerful being able to do 160 level 1, or 450 with a double bomb level 4 (I level speed before rewind, it saves more lives and gets more kills than an early double bomb would)

@the person who was saying zilean can't deal damage as AP, what do you say when the bombs are doing 1000-1200 and getting TWO of them every 3 seconds? I think 800 dps is nothing to laugh at, especially when it is splash damage and hits at range 650.

Also, to the person above me. Igite is a must on AP Zilean... if they have 4 seconds before they die, you do not want them healing during that time. Also, the 10 ap from the mastery is brutal early game.

Xano74

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2010

As Zilean, you should never been close enough for Mercury threads to have an effect. Plus if they do target you first in a team fight, pop revive on you and watch as your team kills them while they waste time on you.

Also it only takes about cooldown item for Zilean to pretty much be able to use all his abilities anytime.

I use Nashors Tooth because it gives better attack speed, mana regen, AP, and cooldown.

Once I get that, I can spam bombs and timeshift with rewind so often that getting any more cooldown would be a waste.

The fact that each of my bombs can do up to around 650 damage and I can use them so quickly, I can easily lay a squishy down to 1/4 health if they really try to attack me. Combined with the slow, they are not getting away.

Not to say you are doing anything wrong, whatever works for you works for you. AP Zilean obviously works. You should only really need to use support skills when a teammate is in trouble, the rest of the time should be bomb spamming.

xahhfink6

02-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xano74 View Post
As Zilean, you should never been close enough for Mercury threads to have an effect. Plus if they do target you first in a team fight, pop revive on you and watch as your team kills them while they waste time on you.

Also it only takes about cooldown item for Zilean to pretty much be able to use all his abilities anytime.

I use Nashors Tooth because it gives better attack speed, mana regen, AP, and cooldown.

Once I get that, I can spam bombs and timeshift with rewind so often that getting any more cooldown would be a waste.

The fact that each of my bombs can do up to around 650 damage and I can use them so quickly, I can easily lay a squishy down to 1/4 health if they really try to attack me. Combined with the slow, they are not getting away.

Not to say you are doing anything wrong, whatever works for you works for you. AP Zilean obviously works. You should only really need to use support skills when a teammate is in trouble, the rest of the time should be bomb spamming.
DURR you can't revive yourself if you're stunned. Good players know how to kill you, above low ELO, you need Mercury to survive, always.

Shawnie

02-16-2010

First item, Mejai's.
Second item, Boots of Mobility.
Then, just start ganking like a ***** and save for a Deathfire.
Then game is over.

No real need for CD reduction items, just keep farming that neutral golem. That is plenty.

Cephlen

02-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnie View Post
First item, Mejai's.
Second item, Boots of Mobility.
Then, just start ganking like a ***** and save for a Deathfire.
Then game is over.

No real need for CD reduction items, just keep farming that neutral golem. That is plenty.

Ah, finally a decent build with good CD advice.

For me i get chalice first, then mejai's.

anaverageasian

Recruiter

02-16-2010

i in my low 20s, so I am using a bunch of Tier 2 runes still while I buy the ones I want.
They almost all +mana regen, with some +mana regen/level

my item build is usually:
boots +2 health pots
teardrop
mejai's
finish sorc boots
finish archangel
deathfire
zonya
then whatever

If my team starts feeding or just kinda sucks and has no teamwork, I skip the mejai's and go for a banshee

xahhfink6

02-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaverageasian View Post
i in my low 20s, so I am using a bunch of Tier 2 runes still while I buy the ones I want.
They almost all +mana regen, with some +mana regen/level

my item build is usually:
boots +2 health pots
teardrop
mejai's
finish sorc boots
finish archangel
deathfire
zonya
then whatever

If my team starts feeding or just kinda sucks and has no teamwork, I skip the mejai's and go for a banshee
Seems pretty solid but i'd put off boots for a while when you have speed boost to do that and better. (also they should be mercury treads) See what fits you best between an ability tome (for codex or kage's) a meki pendant (for codex) or a mana crystal (for tear). I suggest the meki pendant until you can get more level 3 mana regen runes

Nitrosol

02-17-2010

You can read my Guide Here on AP Zilean.
Seems to have gotten good feedback

Warning: It's Long.