Kingpin Twitch Skin - 50% off this weekend only!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Smug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2010

Comparing the wallpapers of kingpin and normal twitch in champs/info is pretty discouraging of purchase haha. That said, he actually looks **** cool in game. The green palette goes better with his updated particles, I think, and the greenish stealth is a cool affect.

really hoping new skins are on the way, non-retiring sales seem like a good sign.

Devownious

01-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post
That's how they plan to make money, skin sales. Development and server hosting are not free
Yeah obviously.... they could have more time and money if they made the game better instead of appealing to guys who spent too much time playing dress up with barbie and ken dolls as a kid and spent their prior years making their MMO characters look cool instead of playing the game.

Quote:
Because the art department is totally in charge of matchmaking and balance as well. Different departments have different focuses, new skins coming out does not draw away from work being done on other parts of the game
With skins that are more then rendering different colors it does take time away from the dev team. The "art department" as you call it usually shares employees from programmers and always requires testers. Characters with modified frames take time to modify their animations and testing compatibility issues.

Quote:
What heroes have had their prices discounted after initial release?
None yet, but as they continue to postpone the more important issues and the player base turns into a pyramid of top tier hardcore and bottom tier not playing or paying anymore, they will discount the heroes. Once the skin sales are done and the overall sales are down, they will.

Quote:
Low quality skins like that would look nowhere near as good as the ones coming out now, and aren't much of a change. The fun of skins is how much they can change the look of a character, ie: Sasquatch Nunu, Toxic mundo, and King Rammus. Just having basic simple recolourings would detract from the joy of skins, and just make them look lame. Putting effort into them makes them worthwhile
all of the examples you've given have extremely minor differences in their frames and are mostly a straight rendering.... kingpin twitch and taric are great examples of rendered skins that look good. Skins like the holiday santa's are fun but we're a complete waste of time, even if they were designing them in beta, that time could have been better utilized... and the fact that zileans was 1k RP is a joke.

Quote:
Skin sales are obviously working, look at how many of them there has been since the first one. I personally bought the master yi skin when it was on sale just because of that, I would have never bought it full price, but how could I pass up the half price. And Riot still makes good money off of it.
"sales" usually infer that the item wasn't selling as well as the supplier intended. All the repeated sales tell us is that they haven't been selling as many skins as they would like because their prices are ridiculous. A skin should never cost more then a hero. Assassin Yi skin was a straight rendering, in fact they removed textures and basically made it a black frame. Pretty cool for what you just said would be a lame skin right?

Quote:
Is your post even serious? It seems like one big joke to me.
Yep, it's a big joke. Just like the riot team laughing at all the money people are paying for skins. Here's another joke.

"What do you call someone who doesn't log on during their very limited sale and wanted to get a particular skin, but didn't want to pay their ridiculous prices?"

**** out of luck.

RiotChris

Director of Publishing

01-25-2010
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isawa View Post
With skins that are more then rendering different colors it does take time away from the dev team. The "art department" as you call it usually shares employees from programmers and always requires testers. Characters with modified frames take time to modify their animations and testing compatibility issues.
It seems like you've put a lot of thought into your posts - but I just wanted to say that this particular quote is false. Our art department does not have programmers and our engineers are working full time on the big features we all want. They are different people. We also have plenty of testers at Riot (and thank you to everyone who plays on the Test Realm as well), if we put more testers on the big features, they wouldn't get done faster/better.

I'm glad you think the skins look cool -even if you decide not to buy them- but they aren't taking critical staff off feature development.

And it's totally fine with us if you only buy skins on sale - that's why we do sales! We're also fine with people not buying any skins - they're an entirely optional (but cool) part of the League of Legends experience.

- RiotChris

Timlankey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2010

So whats the next sale gonna be? Hopefully one I haven't bought yet!

Every single one that was on sale I already bought. FAIL

Whatever, I just sadly keep buying Riot points because I do like skins, I just wish I didn't let myself impulse buy skins but rather wait.

EDIT: I know you won't say but hey worth a try.

Wriggle

Adjudicator

01-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
It seems like you've put a lot of thought into your posts - but I just wanted to say that this particular quote is false. Our art department does not not have programmers and our engineers are working full time on the big features we all want.
Creative confirmation.

RiotChris

Director of Publishing

01-25-2010
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wriggle View Post
Creative confirmation.
Just added second one for emphasis. (corrected above).

- RiotChris

CaptainLuffy

01-26-2010

how can i get the ghost gangplank? i really want it ! but never seen anyone use it , and its not in the store ... someone tell me ?

Kennetth

01-26-2010

Great sale, just some of these skins are not really unique enough compared to the original skin.

shlutpuppy

01-27-2010

ive seen the twitch skin a lot actually and it looks nothing like the pic...its a bit too dark in reality and very very similar to the real one.....thats the reason i didnt buy it.....anyways when do you guys plan to release a new rat skin

Dracofire

01-27-2010

I knew their would be an amumu skin