Udyr tank--against humans vs against bots

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DoransTroll

04-06-2011

I am looking for a nice "tank" with respectable damage to play. I was thinking that Lee Sin does pretty well with this,but he doesn't have a very good way to interrupt people and save your teammates. Jax faces the same problem, and Garen have a hard time keeping DPSs from racing to your squishies. So I ended up looking at Udyr.
This definitely isn't my first attempt at tanking with Udyr. I tried it once ages back, and it was a complete and total failure unless we have another initiator. I hope things will work better with this new build.

While I do not think that Udyr is a good tank, or even a good bruiser (I feel he performs better as a glass cannon), I do find him to be very serviceable as a tank in bot games. I can survive the Annie-Cho-MF burst if I am careful, so long as I made it through laning phase in tact.

My question is, would I survive against humans?

My build against bots goes as: Phoenix at first level, then focus on Bear and Turtle (I don't even bother with Tiger stance).
Sheen->boots->RoA->Lichbane->Rylai.
In a human game, I'm guessing I will rush Glacial Shield instead of Sheen, then make Lichbane before Rylai.
I find that the extra AP does make turtle quite strong, and synergizes well with phoenix (duh).

I notice that this is a very defensive build and would not perform very well in jungle. But it's also massively hard to lane the first few levels even against bots--I don't even see how I'm going to survive against humans.

BeyondGodlike

04-06-2011

His ratios are horrible. TF then tank. This build can work but it's not ideal.

DoransTroll

04-06-2011

i think the ratios are not that horrible compared to the mana cost and CD. However, i do feel the pain when it comes to the absolute number though. But ultimately, spamming 300hp shield every 2.5 sec works well for me (with bots). gonna test against humans soon. will keep u guys updated then.

lammatt

04-07-2011

BV or QSS is a must(and of cos u need merc thread as well, udyr needs to atk in turtle in order to tank, if u r CCed u r dead.

Bobap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-07-2011

Neither lee sin nor jax or even garen are tanks. Garen and lee sin are bulk dps, and jax is more of a glass cannon/anti dps.
As far as udyr is concerned, he makes an excellent tank, but rylais and roa are by no means tanking items. Try sunfire, banshees, and aegis.
If youre really looking to tank: amumu, shen, and rammus are true tanks with amazing damage if played right.