[Guide] How to be a Team Leader

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pregnaloons

03-07-2011

Whoops late reply due to real life holidays. Yeah sure thing Spirit, spread it around as much as you want. Good to know it's getting out there!

Pregnaloons

03-13-2011

Bump up the rump.

ryzeonline

03-13-2011

I love it, I love it, I love it.

I've said similar many times, and am THRILLED more people are spreading this knowledge.

I think I read this somewhere in the forums when I first joined the forums. I also wrote my own called: Power, Attention, and Respect On Your Team. I feel like you'd really connect with it, and our posts have a lot in common.

Rock on Pregnaloons.

Pregnaloons

04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryF0rd View Post
Wow dude. This is so funny. I was going to write an extremely similar post.

I wanna emphasise a few points:
1 - if you follow this style of play you will **** up and get your team aced from time to time. Sometimes you will single handedly lose the game for your team. I've gotten my team aced dozens of times. It happens. Suck it up. Keep going. Nobody is perfect and you aint the exception. If you can't handle getting your entire team killed because you made a bad call, then you can't follow this guide.

2 - You gotta have some vague understanding on how to deal with people. It's CRITICAL to understand that when a team is losing, the members want to splinter. When they're losing, thats when the fighting starts, the *****ing, the flaming. You gotta be able to crush that **** - sometimes with sugar and honey. I've gotten into flames with some ******bag on my team - it happens no matter how hard you try to stay positive - the key is that you don't take it personally, and keep supporting your team - even the ******bags.

Convince them that they can win and they'll stop being pieces of dog feces. I guarantee you.
Go for it! Write a guide anyway, the more there are the better!

Yeah, I should alter my post to mention the consequences of making a bad call. If you do make a horrendous call that gets your team killed, you do just have to suck it up! Don't blame your team or any extraneous factors, understand that you made a wrong call, and learn for next time. You don't get to be top overnight!

Dealing with people is critical indeed, and the hardest part is as you mention, being positive to the negative people. Sometimes there really is nothing you can say to someone across a chat screen that will change their minds (always remember that although it may sound good in your head, they read it from a screen in a voice they invent for you!)

Good points dude! I will make some notes in the guide to better emphasize this!

Pregnaloons

04-08-2011

Updated, and apparently resetting all upvotes, ah well!

McBeard

04-08-2011

One of my favourite ways to lead a team is to be funny when the game starts to build camaraderie. After that, all I need to do is have a relatively good early game and then people will easily listen to things I have to say, even if they are total jerks who trash talk. If I had them lol-ing before, they'll be less likely to write me off later if I get early kills.

Pushkar

04-08-2011

I have another thing to add.

and this is specifically for damage dealers, if you play tanks/supports, this isnt for you.
i play carries 90% of the time so this is where i picked this up.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get early kills and DO NOT DIE
JUST DO WHAT IT TAKES AND GO 3-0.
people listen to what you say after you hit a killing spree.
say it nicely and they'll always listen.
i take ignite specifically for the early kills.
i've "carried" games with 5-2 scores and barely any farm advantage, simply because i was 3-0 at level 6 and my team followed me around like trained guard dogs.
they'll even listen to every move you make, such as the tank initiating, who to focus
and nobody will B unless you say it.
but if someone does, always B. whatever the case, make sure your team doesn't lose coordination, because then they lose faith in you.

Pregnaloons

04-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeard View Post
One of my favourite ways to lead a team is to be funny when the game starts to build camaraderie.
Totally great thing to do, right there (assuming they have a similar sense of humour). If you can get people in a good mood, they'll forgive more, and most likely play better as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushkar View Post
I have another thing to add.

and this is specifically for damage dealers, if you play tanks/supports, this isnt for you.
i play carries 90% of the time so this is where i picked this up.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get early kills and DO NOT DIE
JUST DO WHAT IT TAKES AND GO 3-0.
people listen to what you say after you hit a killing spree.
say it nicely and they'll always listen.
i take ignite specifically for the early kills.
i've "carried" games with 5-2 scores and barely any farm advantage, simply because i was 3-0 at level 6 and my team followed me around like trained guard dogs.
they'll even listen to every move you make, such as the tank initiating, who to focus
and nobody will B unless you say it.
but if someone does, always B. whatever the case, make sure your team doesn't lose coordination, because then they lose faith in you.
When does anybody try NOT to go 3-0? Yeah people are more likely to listen to you when you are on a killing spree, but you don't just "do what it takes". Unless you're intentionally feeding or sacrificing yourself for the team, then of course you're going to try and get kills without dying. I'm sure you know that you don't just "ALWAYS get early kills and DO NOT DIE".

You're right though in that most players will be more likely to listen to an apparently skilled player. But you can't prove that reliably, and that approach isn't really worth mentioning as a leadership tactic, as generally everybody is trying to do their best anyway.

Pregnaloons

02-05-2012

Updated the guide and posted on SoloMid a little while ago. Link, and bump.

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=15597

Naneofox

07-07-2013

Super Bump! People must read this. It is valuable insight.